Polished 10/22 Receiver

So I watched a couple of videos on the YouTube about polishing slides and receivers (specifically my latest 10/22 project).  Turns out to be an afternoon well spent!  I got some Mothers metal polish, superfine steel wool, some 1000 grit and some 2000 grit sand paper from my local auto parts store and went to town. This was a used receiver to begin with so I didn't mind experimenting with it.  I switched to wet sanding for the 1000 and 2000 passes. Videos recommended switching directions when you switch grits to reduce swirl/streaks.

Results are below.  I could have spent some more time getting out a couple of the deeper scratches, but those will be pretty well hidden by the stock that I will be putting this into.  The finish is pretty smooth! 

receiverpolishing10_22.jpgfinalreceiver10_22.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 months later...

Been looking for a receiver that I can pick up used to do this very thing. Don't know where one is do you? I have all the parts to put a stainless 10-22 together, except for the receiver. Great job on yours, by the way. You gotta show us another pic when it's installed on the gun.

I perfomed this task a couple years ago. It looks awesome. My barrel was a factory Ruger SS sporter that was pretty well polished but could still see marks in it.. Therefore after bringing mine to a mirror shine on a cloth wheel on a bench grinder with some fine rouge, I went ofer it slightly with some fine steel wool to make it match the barrel.  I think it looked awesome. After the steel wool I sprayed it with a clear coat so it wouldn't tarnish.

I sold it to a great member on here & I wonder if he still has it. :) It was a great shooter.

Been looking for a receiver that I can pick up used to do this very thing. Don't know where one is do you? I have all the parts to put a stainless 10-22 together, except for the receiver. Great job on yours, by the way. You gotta show us another pic when it's installed on the gun.

Just never really find one unless you buy a non-Ruger one. And most of those cost about as much as a whole basic carbine.

No matter how you modify a 10/22, who winds up with an spare receiver only? Especially since it is the actual firearm.

- OS

• Like 1