Like hot chicken??

I will never go to Prince Hot Chicken Shack (it's not Prince's). Their health scores usually suck and a recent post on the TripAdvisor travel forum (not the reviews...more like a regular forum) for Nashville had a visitor report that she was there when a fight broke out in front. a few minutes later one of the participants comes in waving a handgun around looking for the other dude. What a great way to showcase our city....  :(

I'll stick to Hattie B's....I'll have to try Bishop's.

For all you hot chicken lovers out there, there's a hot chicken festival in East Park on July 4th.

http://mchcf.blogspot.com/

Want a second chance at that answer? ;)

Edited by Steelharp
I was just in Atlanta and ate at Holeman and Finch. They have an homage to princes once a week, and serve hot chicken on their menu. The hot chicken thing is spreading. As far as Nashville, Boltons Catfish is really good but, the sides always arrive cold. Nothing worse than cold collard greens. Pepperfire is a good one also.

Often it is not what you eat, but where you eat that adds to the experience.

A nice french dinner doesn't really taste as good if it is eaten out of tupperware and pixie cups off the trunk of your car.

Prince's also follows that rule.  While enjoying your meal...the potential hail of bullets from a pimp beating down a strung out midget/amputee/methhead makes that chicken a very rewarding meal. Kinda like parachuting in that the real possibility of death makes the experience much more exhilarating.

I will never go to Prince Hot Chicken Shack (it's not Prince's). Their health scores usually suck and a recent post on the TripAdvisor travel forum (not the reviews...more like a regular forum) for Nashville had a visitor report that she was there when a fight broke out in front. a few minutes later one of the participants comes in waving a handgun around looking for the other dude. What a great way to showcase our city....  :(

I'll stick to Hattie B's....I'll have to try Bishop's.

For all you hot chicken lovers out there, there's a hot chicken festival in East Park on July 4th.

http://mchcf.blogspot.com/

• Like 3

Magiccarpetrides and I stopped in one afternoon a while back at Princes right at lunchtime.

Half the fun of it was people watching. I have lived in Nashville area for a while, and nowhere have I seen such a collective of people from all walks of life.

Beside that the food was well worth it. Take some milk/ice cream with you if your the faint at heart. LOL

Edited by R1100R
  • Like 1

i want to see somebody eat the xxx hot it burns me just looking at it

I took a bite of it once. Damn near killed me. Some friends had bought it as a joke. I was at my girlfriend's (at the time) house. She tossed in into the trash, and we took off. While we were gone, her pit bull drug it out of the trash and ate it. What a mess! The chicken went thru the dog, and exited at extremely high pressure. It would have been something to see.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

Dangit!  I am an avowed chile head and had never even heard of hot chicken until this thread.  I had to use my web-fu just to figure out what it is.  Wikipedia (for what it is worth) says that it is a local, Nashville thing.  Not sure when I will next be in the Nashville area so I just might have to try and find a recipe and make it at home.

Does anyone who has had 'the real thing' have a recipe they have tried and would recommend as being a pretty close facsimile?

Dangit!  I am an avowed chile head and had never even heard of hot chicken until this thread.  I had to use my web-fu just to figure out what it is.  Wikipedia (for what it is worth) says that it is a local, Nashville thing.  Not sure when I will next be in the Nashville area so I just might have to try and find a recipe and make it at home.

Does anyone who has had 'the real thing' have a recipe they have tried and would recommend as being a pretty close facsimile?

Same here, I need to try this out when I am there. Probably just the place that isn't posted, sounds like some of these places are a little sketchy. Just like good Mexican food in CA, the best can come with an element of danger.

If you like hot chicken, be sure to check out the Hot Chicken Festival that is held July 4th Weekend in East Park (off of Woodland St in East Nashville). I went the first year and I had a love hate relationship with hot chicken for about 6 months. I think I burned a hole in my stomach lining. Lots of vendors and they had a beer tent setup, Yazoo hosting the tent.

Also, newest place to join the ranks is Hattie B's in Midtown. I have eaten there a few times. First experience was the day the opened. Their recipe was hit or miss at the beginning but they've fine tuned their spice. Recently took a buddy who had tried it as well and he ordered the hottest (Damn Hot?) and he was blown away by it. He's a foodie here in town and you could tell he was feeling it. I sat back with my beer and just laughed. 

In comparison to Princes, I believe that will always remain a true winner in many hearts. It was one of the originals in the hot chicken game. Yes, Nashville, surprisingly is known to be THE hot chicken city. We're evolving as a foodie city too, but I'll save that for another post. 

Guest mattgawarecki

he ordered the hottest (Damn Hot?)

They have a new variety now above that called "Shut the Cluck Up." I'm afraid to try it... I can't take anything above just "Hot."

he ordered the hottest (Damn Hot?)

They have a new variety now above that called "Shut the Cluck Up." I'm afraid to try it... I can't take anything above just "Hot."

You're right. I forgot about the Shut the Cluck Up. I personally like the Southern or mild blend. I don't know how people eat the burn your stomach hot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Old thread but I just ate Bishop's. It's pretty damn good. It's in a sketchy part of town like the others. Lot of yuppies. They be mean muggin' ya when ya got muddy boots on. They make me nervous... I hope it wasn't posted, I didn't even look.