Looking for a .308

RC3

I am not really happy with my dpms. Never been a huge fan of 5.56. And with the whole gun law and debate crap, all the prices of .308 rifles (any rifle in general) has soared, but they are coming down. Anyone know where I can get a decently priced g3? Does not have to be an H&K. Cheaper the better, but not one that is falling to pieces.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Know what you mean on the DPMS.  I really tried to like the AR10 platform and pawed over every one I could find, even shot a few different models from nice folks i'd met at the range.  The weight just seems off for me.  I don't know maybe i'm just a sucker for the balance of an M14.  Oh well, you can also look at the FNAR or it's less expensive Winchester brother, the SXAR.  My FNAR has performed quite well right outta the box, stood the test of time and is still in the starting line up.  Think i'm gonna take it hunting this year and let it fill the freezer. 

I am not really happy with my dpms. Never been a huge fan of 5.56. And with the whole gun law and debate crap, all the prices of .308 rifles (any rifle in general) has soared, but they are coming down. Anyone know where I can get a decently priced g3? Does not have to be an H&K. Cheaper the better, but not one that is falling to pieces.

PTR-91, check gunbroker. Also look into a CETME BUT those are 50/50 hit or miss with quality, it IS a Century build after all. Just spend the extra bank and get the PTR and be happy straight out. Another option is the DSA SA-58, it's the reliable FAL platform and mags are somewhat available. Just for the record though, the HK91/PTR91/CETME platform has a higher recoil than most others due to it's delay roller blowback, compared to a piston or an DI system.

PTR-91, check gunbroker. Also look into a CETME BUT those are 50/50 hit or miss with quality, it IS a Century build after all. Just spend the extra bank and get the PTR and be happy straight out. Another option is the DSA SA-58, it's the reliable FAL platform and mags are somewhat available. Just for the record though, the HK91/PTR91/CETME platform has a higher recoil than most others due to it's delay roller blowback, compared to a piston or an DI system.

I know that, but I have always liked german rifles. Ill look at the ptr-91 like you said, but I was looking for something local. The franklin gun shop has one, but they want $1400 for a century and $2400 for an hk. I have no issues with my panther, but I REALLY want a G3, fal would be nice too, but far too expensive

I have the FNAR 308 in 20" HB and very satisfied. 5/8" group at 100yds, best 3 shoots out of 5 using 168g SMKHP bullets and IMR4895: AVG 5 shoot groups 1.69" and average 3 shoot groups 0.84".

Edited by lshel

I have the FNAR 308 in 20" HB and very satisfied. 5/8" group at 100yds, best 3 shoots out of 5 using 168g SMKHP bullets and IMR4895: AVG 5 shoot groups 1.69" and average 3 shoot groups 0.84".

Its so ugly tho, yes yes, I may seem shallow but nothing clicks for the FNAR for me. The G3, FAL and the M14 tho, those are the ones I want to get. The G3 is top of the list and the m14 right behind it. Not sure if I want the socom or the original.

My next 308 will be a semi-automatic and for the price I may be going with a Sig since they are significantly cheaper.  Plus, Sigs have never disappointed me.  I'm looking at a Sig 716 Patrol model in FDE with a 16" barrel.  I also have a custom made bolt action w/ a 24" barrel if accuracy or distance is a concern with a 16" barrel.  

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig716-patrol-fde.aspx

I know that, but I have always liked german rifles. Ill look at the ptr-91 like you said, but I was looking for something local. The franklin gun shop has one, but they want $1400 for a century and $2400 for an hk. I have no issues with my panther, but I REALLY want a G3, fal would be nice too, but far too expensive

Ummm... wha?? SA58's run the same price as that Century you mentioned... exhibit A.http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSASA5816CTCP&name=DSA+SA58+FAL+PARA+Tactical+.308+16%22+Rifle&groupid=11

A PTR on www.gunbroker.com run the 12-1600 range, that's a reasonable price I think. I HAD the opportunity to buy one for $900 about 2 years ago and kick myself everyday for letting my bud talk me out of it...

The great thing about the 91 platform is the crazy cheap price on the alum surplus mags, they can be had for next to nothing, 3.99-5.99 last I checked, steel runs $19-30. If you buy a century there is a good chance it will be junk, don't take a risk such as that brosef. Show your shop owner/manager of choice that you have cash in hand and they will probably find you a system post-haste. I'd look else where though from that shop you listed, Centuries were going for $5-600 before all this, if you buy one for that butt-rape price you'll kick yourself cause you'll be stuck with it or you'll get about half back out of it, just my honest advice from having one and my best friend having one as well.

Ummm... wha?? SA58's run the same price as that Century you mentioned... exhibit A.http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1DSASA5816CTCP&name=DSA+SA58+FAL+PARA+Tactical+.308+16%22+Rifle&groupid=11

A PTR on www.gunbroker.com run the 12-1600 range, that's a reasonable price I think. I HAD the opportunity to buy one for $900 about 2 years ago and kick myself everyday for letting my bud talk me out of it...

The great thing about the 91 platform is the crazy cheap price on the alum surplus mags, they can be had for next to nothing, 3.99-5.99 last I checked, steel runs $19-30. If you buy a century there is a good chance it will be junk, don't take a risk such as that brosef. Show your shop owner/manager of choice that you have cash in hand and they will probably find you a system post-haste. I'd look else where though from that shop you listed, Centuries were going for $5-600 before all this, if you buy one for that butt-rape price you'll kick yourself cause you'll be stuck with it or you'll get about half back out of it, just my honest advice from having one and my best friend having one as well.

thats what I have been thinking as well. Almost done repairing my audi so I will have a little extra cash. I am also looking at one of the rifles that Hershmeister has since I was stuck at work and he sold his cetmet for $695...... I just wish I had the extra 500 for the 91. I do appreciate all yours and everyone help so far.

I have always made fun of my friends sig sidearms, but this rifle got my attention. I just bet the price is horrible

My next 308 will be a semi-automatic and for the price I may be going with a Sig since they are significantly cheaper.  Plus, Sigs have never disappointed me.  I'm looking at a Sig 716 Patrol model in FDE with a 16" barrel.  I also have a custom made bolt action w/ a 24" barrel if accuracy or distance is a concern with a 16" barrel.  

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig716-patrol-fde.aspx

True but you can buy a semi auto FNAR and a bolt SPR A5M for the price of one scar

True ... But neither will be a SCAR 17 which alone runs circles around an FNAR and SPR.

There's a reason so many people on fnforum.net are selling their FNAR's to pick up SCAR's.

Buy right the first time instead of puddle jumping around the best 308 battle rifle made :) 

Just sayin! LOL :)

True ... But neither will be a SCAR 17 which alone runs circles around an FNAR and SPR.

There's a reason so many people on fnforum.net are selling their FNAR's to pick up SCAR's.

Buy right the first time instead of puddle jumping around the best 308 battle rifle made :)

Just sayin! LOL :)

Im trying to get rid of my audi to buy a chevy cruze, not get rid of it to afford a scar 17 :P

Im trying to get rid of my audi to buy a chevy cruze, not get rid of it to afford a scar 17 :P

LoL! 

Go with a good ole Pinto with a SCAR 17 hung up in the rear window .... The pinto will finally be a looker :)  LOL

LoL! 

Go with a good ole Pinto with a SCAR 17 hung up in the rear window .... The pinto will finally be a looker :)  LOL

that way both the car and the scar will go up in flames? o_o I will buy yugo before I get a pinto

LoL! 

so the pinto and the scar go up in flames on a fender bender with a shopping cart?

so the pinto and the scar go up in flames on a fender bender with a shopping cart?

hahahaha ... that made my night! 

in my personal opinion -- Wait out this crazieness and save your pennies over the next few months.  The SCAR really is the be all end all of the 308 battle rifle world :)

hahahaha ... that made my night! 

in my personal opinion -- Wait out this crazieness and save your pennies over the next few months.  The SCAR really is the be all end all of the 308 battle rifle world :)

thats what I decided to do. After I get a new car, and a few things squared away, I should be good. But not the scar, not yet at least.