Shots Exchanged At Watts Bar Nuclear Plant

Guest 6.8 AR

"TVA declared an “unusual event,” the lowest of the four Nuclear Regulatory Commission emergency classifications."

I feel better.

Recon?  Drunk Redneck, teen dare, or a real threat?  Who would travel up river in a boat in the middle of the night, tie up a boat, and walk the grounds of a TVA Nuclear Reactor facility with a gun, confront a security officer, shoot, and then escape.  Hmmmm.

• Like 1

Recon?  Drunk Redneck, teen dare, or a real threat?  Who would travel up river in a boat in the middle of the night, tie up a boat, and walk the grounds of a TVA Nuclear Reactor facility with a gun, confront a security officer, shoot, and then escape.  Hmmmm.

Agreed. This doesn't feel good at all.
  • Like 2

I'd bet this is more "dumbass redneck" than "nuclear security threat"

But either way I don't think TVA is taking it lightly. I saw the initial story early Sunday morning. Problem may be that they have no clue who did this

Ain't no rednecks in Rhea County :)

• Like 3

My guess is that the officer walked up on a dope meet (...or somethin equally dangerous and highly illegal...) with a real bad guy.  Boat to boat most likely.  If it's a bunch of professionals, they will never sort it out or catch the guy.

leroy

Edited by leroy
Guest RevScottie

The account I heard from a security employee was the guy was at one of the boat ramps and hollered out asking the security officer to come down there. As security approached he fired on him and security then returned fire.

Night Catfisher looking for somewhere to pee?  The Gun? well they got some big cats down there that rumor has it can walk on land and eat a man whole!!

Know the area, Probably someone poaching deer and missed. The security officer was too close and thought they were shooting at him and returned fire. This ensuing a shoot out

Very well could be.  Wuz this near the barge slip?

leroy

Guest RevScottie

Know the area, Probably someone poaching deer and missed. The security officer was too close and thought they were shooting at him and returned fire. This ensuing a shoot out

The man with the gun called out to the security officer, why he called out to him and then started shooting at him is the question...

Guest carter

My buddy worked security there for a while. By what I understand, they are more than prepared to defend in case some nut tries anything.

I agree... my father use to work for CP&L in operations... and eh said the security is CRAZY at the nuke plant... guys in bullet proof booths with full auto rifles...I don't think they would play around... security is tight as a tick at those places

The perpetrator got way, hmmm. Security sure was tight. Maybe the security guard is retired from the Boston PD. Seem like I recall Boston PD was in a shoot out recently, and a perpetrator got away.

The dude was practically lobbing bullets from the boat ramp. Then took off in his boat. What did you want them to do, swim after them?

I agree... my father use to work for CP&L in operations... and eh said the security is CRAZY at the nuke plant... guys in bullet proof booths with full auto rifles...I don't think they would play around... security is tight as a tick at those places

That's what I heard too. Hopefully it was just a weird isolated incident.
Guest KCampbell
[quote name="DaveS" post="956940" timestamp="1366630959"]Someone on a "recon" testing security. That's my thought....

Dave S
[/quote]

Shooting at someone kinda makes for a bad recon don't it?I'm going with poacher although recon or a drug deal sounds a lot more exciting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2 Edited by KCampbell