What's Your Favorite Hunting Gun

I have two that are my favorites depending on what the weather is doing.

If it is not raining or snowing I like to carry my Marlin 1895 in 45-70. Had the barrel cut down to 16". This makes it short, compact, easy to carry and still balances very well. I find myself grabbing this gun the most to go deer hunting.

DSCF0041.jpg

If the weather is lousy, I grab my Tikka T3 in .270. It has a synthetic stock and stainless barrel. It is also light, easy to carry and very easy to clean.

These two are my current "favorites". What are yours....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new favorite (after last season actually getting a kill with it) is my Swiss K31. Dropped a button buck in his tracks at 100 yards (lasered) with open sights that I thought was a doe. I bought a St. Marie's scope mount for it, but have yet to install it.

For those unfamiliar with a K31, they shoot a 7.5x55mm round.

MyK31_2.jpg

MyK31_1.jpg

Edited by C-ya
Guest nitrous_mike

Depends on what I'm hunting.... Ducks in the field I will pick up my BPS 10, for timber I will pick up my Benelli Super Nova 12 with 3.5's unless its at the very first of the season then I will shoot 3's. For deer I will usually pick up one of my 30-06's I have a youth model that I like to use in the woods since it is short and for the fields I will either use my long barrel 30-06 or 308. Dove either my A500 12 or my youth model 20 pump. Squirrel I have an old long barrel 12 single that my grand dad passed down to me, or I may use my old 410 pump. Hell I got a gun for everyting it just depends lol you get the idea.

Guest readyornot

I'm a big fan of my granddad's vintage Browning Model 11 "Humpback" 12GA shotgun. There is no telling how many birds that gun has shot and it still does the job today for me.

I'm a big fan of my granddad's vintage Browning Model 11 "Humpback" 12GA shotgun. There is no telling how many birds that gun has shot and it still does the job today for me.

Same here. I learned to shoot a shotgun on my grandads Model 11.

If it says Model 11 on it, then it is a Remington. The Remington Model 11 was a clone of the Browning A-5. They got license from Browning to make the Model 11. My Model 11 even lists the Browning patents numbers on the barrel. Great old shotgun.

Guest grimel

Either a Contender or a 4-6" revolver. Right now the revolver would be a 4" 629 Mt Gun unless I break down and buy a 6" 629 before deer season or maybe a 7.5" Ruger SBH Hunter in 44mag.

Favorite is a CZ550 in .375 or a CZ 589 in .458 Win Mag.

There are many great choices in 30-06, my next favorite round. I guess my favorite of my rifles in this and 308 is a Ruger M77 RSI, which is mannlicher rifle.

Guest Bronker
Old school Marlin 336A 30-30 lever action. It is easy to carry in the woods, and has never failed.

Me too. Putting aside the Remington 700 .30-06 that I've had for 21 years. It hasn't been much of a challenge lately shooting deer with it.

Instead, I've broken out my 336RC .30-30 that belonged to my grandfather first, given to my dad 47 years ago, and given to me 26 years ago.

Loaded with Hornady's new LeveRevolution, we'll give it a whirl!

I may not ever pull the trigger on it, but rest assured I'll be a proud hunter.

I love this gun and its history. In 4 years, it will go to my son on his 10th birthday.

And so on...

After getting out of the service in 89 I bought a Savage 110 in 30-06 and returned to deer hunting. Its taken more deer than any other rifle I have owned. A few years back I broke the synthetic stock in a tragic 4 wheeler incident that also cost me the mounted gun case and my heavy camo coat! Lets just say that if you hang your coat over your gun boot, remember to remove it before backing your 4 wheeler up to get it out of the rain! I backed up, caught coat under wheel, jacket pulled down and before ripping straight up the back, pulled down on the gun boot and broke it and the stock of the rifle! Ugly, but it forced me to get the nice thumbhole varminter stock its mounted on now. It was also my first semi finished stock that I sanded, put the Tru-Oil to and got that finish you'll see.

Since I got my 458 Socom, I have hunted with it the past two years quite a bit. 300 grain JHPs have the same specs as Kahr's 45-70 in a compact and quick hitting platform. I have a Vector Optics 1x-4x with lighted reticle on board that one.

Those are my favorites. I have also used .444 Marlin, .340 Wby and this year will use a .300 Wby Mag courtesy of the Kahr Man himself.

Savage110riflewithcustomhandstoc-1.jpg

Guest REDDOG79

Model 88 Winchester in .308 for deer (If I can only find one and have the money to afford it. My father has one and I love it especially the ergonomics)

Remington 11-87 for bird hunting

I might have to use my Saiga 7.62 for deer this year it's the only high powered rifle i have at this moment just have to get a scope mount and a scope now

Model 88 Winchester in .308 for deer (If I can only find one and have the money to afford it. My father has one and I love it especially the ergonomics)

Remington 11-87 for bird hunting

I might have to use my Saiga 7.62 for deer this year it's the only high powered rifle i have at this moment just have to get a scope mount and a scope now

www.aimsurplus.com and cheaperthandirt have some nice ones that mount on the receiver.