Trikes in TN

Guest Keal G Seo

Guest Keal G Seo

Recently had a conversation that re-sparked an interest in riding bikes. Unfortunately I am in a wheelchair. I have seen a few kits for converting a bike...since I don't have the money for full custom trike.

My questions are: Do trikes require a motorbike designation in TN? How is motorbike defined in TN (wheels or weight)?

Enough riders here I figure someone must know off the top of their head.

Thanks

Edited by Keal G Seo
Guest Keal G Seo

If price is a concern, you could always just add a Voyager Kit to an existing bike.

There is the issue of hand controls as well. 

Thanks but I am looking for something I can drive from the wheelchair. That is why I am looking at conversions rather than full custom. Stock trikes and standard conversions wont work for me.

Check this out:

http://www.wheelchair-motorcycle.com/chris-trikes

Check it out with the extended bars too. That one in particular is a bit over budget but would be ideal.

Now I like the back half of this one and it fits a more realistic budget, but then I'm not really looking for a scooter:

http://www.wheelchair-motorcycle.com/road-chariot-freeway

Boss Hoss supposedly has a wheelchair model. It is not on their website but have seen numerous articles about it. Will probably call or email them tomorrow.

Edited by Keal G Seo
Boss Hoss are really amazing. They're built here in Dyersburg. They're built with a GM 350 V8. And if that's not enough power there is an option to get a GM 8.1 V8, holy smokes! Bikes, trikes, custom built any way you want. Just get ready to pony up the bills, some of these babies can top out 50k.
Guest Keal G Seo

Boss Hoss are really amazing. They're built here in Dyersburg. They're built with a GM 350 V8. And if that's not enough power there is an option to get a GM 8.1 V8, holy smokes! Bikes, trikes, custom built any way you want. Just get ready to pony up the bills, some of these babies can top out 50k.

Ouch.

Guest Keal G Seo

Get one with two wheels in front and one in the rear, they're MUCH more stable. 

I have looked at the V13R from Campagna but that is again WAY out of budget. Trying to find something under 25, preferably much lower if I can get a conversion kit and an older used bike. Thinking in the ball park of 2-5 for a good motor and mostly parts bike and maybe 5-10 for a kit. Won't be pretty but it will get me back out of the house.

Plus I'm a speed freak and the two rears gimme a bigger rear contact patch for off getting off the line. :)

Guest Lester Weevils

The can-ams look purty kewl. Never been tempted to get a bike, but if I got one, the can-am looks fairly klutz-proof.

Prices appear to range between $16000 and $30,000. 

http://www.spyder.brp.com/home?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=us_gen&utm_term=three%20wheel%20motorcycle&utm_campaign=roadster_my13

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/can-am.html

What appears to be the cheapest model--

Vehicle_Header_Pure_magnesium_metallic.j

Guest Keal G Seo

Vehicle_Header_Pure_magnesium_metallic.j

Oh  yeah, now I remember why I stuck with dual rears. Hit me when I saw the pic. Wanting to drive from my chair it would be really hard to set up anything as a wheelchair carrier to this type beyond a trailer. I like the look of these, with dual fronts, because they seem like they can corner better and much more noticeable in someone else's mirror. But yeah, just can't drive it from the wheelchair.

On that note, for anyone wondering, the reason I am looking to drive from my manual chair is because I have no torso or leg control so I just can't sit on a bike normally. Will have to have my chair or a serious sissy bar. It also wouldn't be too good for a foot to fall and me drag it to a stump, not noticing until I got home. LMAO

Edited by Keal G Seo

I'm not usually a big fan of the stuff they build, but OCC built this one for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and I kind of liked it. Certainly not the first/only "roll on and ride" design, but I think it has better proportions than the Chris Trikes linked above. This one has kind of an old Roman chariot feel to it. I'm guessing it would blow your budget, but it's still cool. Personally I'd have liked to have seen them do more body panels to cover the "cage" area. Maybe some farings to match the tanks and fenders.

17%20-%20PHOTO_13634880_29029_21139323_a

Edited by monkeylizard

Here it is. Page 14 has a video of him driving it. If you wanted to go bat #### crazy and build one of these the Yamaha FJR has an AE version that comes with paddle shifter standard. Of course the throttle and brake would have to be built into the steering wheel just like cars for folks in wheelchairs. If you do go crazy and build one of these I'll buy you dinner if you'll take me for a ride.  :yum:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/124216-reverse-trike/page-1

Edited by LagerHead
Forgot the link. Duh!

Here it is. Page 14 has a video of him driving it. If you wanted to go bat #### crazy and build one of these the Yamaha FJR has an AE version that comes with paddle shifter standard. Of course the throttle and brake would have to be built into the steering wheel just like cars for folks in wheelchairs. If you do go crazy and build one of these I'll buy you dinner if you'll take me for a ride.  :yum:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/124216-reverse-trike/page-1

Linky no worky.

Guest Keal G Seo

I'm not usually a big fan of the stuff they build, but OCC built this one for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation and I kind of liked it. Certainly not the first/only "roll on and ride" design, but I think it has better proportions than the Chris Trikes linked above. This one has kind of an old Roman chariot feel to it. I'm guessing it would blow your budget, but it's still cool. Personally I'd have liked to have seen them do more body panels to cover the "cage" area. Maybe some farings to match the tanks and fenders.

17%20-%20PHOTO_13634880_29029_21139323_a

Yeah this is basic look I think I am going to go for. Thinking I may have to rough sketch my own frame and build it here at the house to really stay in budget. This one from OCC is a beauty as far as what I am looking for. This one in particular I think is going for 75k...paying extra because it is for charity and all.

Considered something like this?  It's like a go-cart for the street.

T-Rex-Cars.jpg

Yes, this is the Campagna motor's "T-Rex" (they have a few models)...truly if I had the 50-60k to spend on one I would seriously check these out with the aftermarket body kits. But yeah just a stock one starts at 35 or so. My main problem with these would be height, 6'4", they are built like F1 cars with just enough room for the "average male". Even have the detachable steering wheel.

All things considered I think I am going to get a conversion kit and do a bit of frame modification/fabrication so the drive train is split far enough forward. Might take a year or three lol. But I think to get what I am after and to make sure it will fit me, it will be the best way to go. Now just to decide what I want to build it onto.