New IDPA Rulebook 7 May

[quote name="deerslayer" post="963103" timestamp="1367444272"] I hope the rulebook does not bring a watering-down, but some of the above posts are similar to others I have read on benos or the idpa forum--that is, if the gamerphobes have their way, IDPA will be custom made for a bunch of bed-wetting Elmer Fudds. Running earns an FTDR? Are you serious? This game may get ruined after all. [/quote] Hahaha!!! Exactly what I was thinking. While we're at it, do away with times and scores....
Guest sbcman

DMark- you've got too many posts in this thread for me to copy them. I'd just like to say I appreciate the responses and they shed a lot of light on Joyce's words. You know, I never had thought about some of the things you've mentioned. I started out in USPSA and then went to IDPA and I'm guilty of the back turning, sprinting (well, it's a sprint for me, more of a jog for athletic types) and so forth. Interesting.

I have heard about some of the seasoned USPSA folks mention there is no "martial" aspect to the sport and hasn't been for some time. Helps to see how and why IDPA was formed. Thanks again.

As for 2 division revolvers- it is a terrible idea. We need a third division for 8 rounders (with optics, LOL). Really, I just need some justification to get a 327 :rock:

Then why was it an FTDR if the rulebook didn't clarify?  Sounds like there were some tribal rules to me.  And who says running isn't "tactical?"

Tribal only in the sense that it was just one of those things that was understood among the early armed professionals who stood up IDPA. We wanted something other than what IPSC had become.

I'm talking about 18 years ago. Its a far different shooting world now. Back then having a carry permit was a rare deal and competitive combat shooting was indeed very tribal.

And I reckon running can be tactical. I've just never seen it or trained to it in a CQB environment.

Indirect fire coming in - - - now that is a different deal.

Excellent points and explanation on the context of the genesis of IDPA DMark. Thank you.

And good discussion all around.

I joined IDPA in either '96 or '97...my # is in the 900's. But our local (tribal) club had hosted "Tactical Matches" for several years prior. Not "mall ninja tactical"..but trying to replicate useful real world situations. We were able to incorporate "unknown" stage, and even night shoot and BUG stages.

But the sport has grown immensely in that time period, so logistically it would be next to impossible to do these days.

IDPA is a sport (not training), but I would hope folks would use the venue to try and instill sound and logical practices that wouldn't get them injured in a "real world" situation.

But I guess we each have our reasons for doing what we do.

I'm curious to see what changes come about, and where the evolution goes.

:2cents:

So far my favorite thread comment was this on Brian Enos's Forum....'

"....Yeah the problem is the old slow guys don't have the same gripes as the younger faster guys...."

One thing for sure, the old slow guys were once the younger faster guys and today's younger faster guys will one day realize the old slow guy gripes were correct - - - when they are the old slow guys!  :D

Edited by DMark

Reading the various threads on different sites.........I think I might go back and just suck at Production!

Just wait till you've actually read the rule book and see what kind of new rules they'll have before you decide anything there supposed to be out next week on the 7th. I also think there's several sitting on the fence with you.

Edited by Rickey

So far my favorite thread comment was this on Brian Enos's Forum....'

"....Yeah the problem is the old slow guys don't have the same gripes as the younger faster guys...."

One thing for sure, the old slow guys were once the younger faster guys and today's younger faster guys will one day realize the old slow guy gripes were correct - - - when they are the old slow guys!  :D

I was fast and young when the single stack comp guns were HOT!

Just wait till you've actually read the rule book and see what kind of new rules they'll have before you decide anything there supposed to be out next week on the 7th. I also think there's several sitting on the fence with you.

I don't really expect much to change. I would like to see less "spirit and intent and I think they meant" and more USPSA rules for what your NOT ALLOWED to do.

From   When The Balloon Goes Up 

My comments in Red.

Confirmed IDPA Rule Book Changes

-  Allowance for shooters to move backwards in classification.  This should answer my recommendation in regard to Senior Shooter reclassification.

-  SSP has been redefined to be for striker fired guns.  Does this mean there will be a new division for DA/SA firearms?

-  Changes to the clothing rules (vest, kneepads…)  Hope that this will outlaw the Sponsorship Shirts, or as one new shooter once asked me, "Who are those guys in the NASCAR outfits?"

-  Changes to the classifier.  This could be the most substantial change.  If this changes the times or COF it might be a game-changing "Designated Hitter" like deal for IDPA.

Edited by DMark

What's wrong with the sponsorship shirts?  I just told a buddy if he'd pay for my ammo and entry fees I'd wear a neon pink shirt with his logo. :)

In the early IDPA years they were "frown upon."  It was seen as too IPSC like.

In fact corporative support in the beginning was very restrictive.  

I admit that it was taken too far early on, even polo shirts with a manufacturer's logo being banned by some MDs.

And I also admit that there is no way to ever put that genie back into the bottle - - - just one of those things that I gripe about just for fun.  :D

- Allowance for shooters to move backwards in classification. This should answer my recommendation in regard to Senior Shooter reclassification.

how about when a shooter breaks his/her neck and is now in a wheel chair

- Allowance for shooters to move backwards in classification. This should answer my recommendation in regard to Senior Shooter reclassification.

how about when a shooter breaks his/her neck and is now in a wheel chair

If you broke your neck and was paralyzed wouldn't your arms be paralyzed too? 

If you broke your neck and was paralyzed wouldn't your arms be paralyzed too? 

if it was a total break of the cord. broke/crushed C5,C6 & C7 and as i understand one of them is not complete. having to relearn how to use my arms and hands. lots of work yet to go. wanted to try a classifier but was told not to show up.

Edited by RWF

There's way too much money involved to get rid of the sponsors shirts. Look at S&W there such a good sponsor they got a sanctioned bug match this fall which isnt a bad idea but I bet nobody else could of got the rules changed the way they did.