See link below for the letter that ATK put on their website to explain their position on the ammo shortage.

Letter on Ammunition Availability
We continue to receive questions about the lack of availability of our ammunition at retail outlets. To make sure our customers have the right information, we posted the following letter online. Please be sure to read it for yourself and reference the FAQ links in the letter for up-to-date information. See letter attached or download at

www.federalpremium.com/downloads/company/13-CustomerLetter_FINAL.pdf.

Not sure how much of that story I want to take to the checkout counter, but 1.6 billion rounds is still just that. Much

more than they need at this time. Also, like the last time we went thru this senario, the mfgs. are not likely to

add new production lines/employees for what they may perceive as short term.

As long as a select few are camping out at the retail counter to grab & hoard the 2 or 3 boxes available that

day, we'll be sitting right where we are for a while.

JMHO

I talked with one of the buyers at my supplier and he told me that from what they are telling him that the shortage will last thru the year before we may see any real improvement.

Not what I wanted to hear!

Guest Brutnus

I disagree. I saw 9mm ammo on CTD for under $40 bucks today. :)

Give it 2-3 months and everything will start to swing back the other way.

Edited by Brutnus
Agree with you brutnus...if folks will quit buying from those taking advantage of the situation availability will come back sooner...some are turning ammo for the 2nd and 3rd time. I'd love to see these scalpers get stuck with dollar a round 22lr...lol... Edited by ncldwell
Guest Darth Maul

There are 40 boxes of 5.56 at my local Walmart with the limit being 3 box per customer. The manager said as long as I checkout and leave the store my limit starts all over. I plan on buying all 40 boxes tonight. Now if that bothers anyone well I'm sorry for ya. It's available, been available for over a week now and I have as much right to it as the next guy.  Especially since I buy for my stash not resale.

There are 40 boxes of 5.56 at my local Walmart with the limit being 3 box per customer. The manager said as long as I checkout and leave the store my limit starts all over. I plan on buying all 40 boxes tonight. Now if that bothers anyone well I'm sorry for ya. It's available, been available for over a week now and I have as much right to it as the next guy.  Especially since I buy for my stash not resale.

Not my favorite thing but I do understand. I remember the lead up to the first anointment of his holiness. I certainly laid in a bunch of ammo myself.

You can have my share, I'm in adequate shape for the time being.

I call BS. 40 boxes of 5,56 in stock for over a week at WM.

I think we have a TROLL sighting.

• Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils

Is the letter corroborated by dealer experiences? IOW, if the manufacturer is shipping as much or more ammo to retailers today as was the case a year ago-- The number of retailers has most likely not significantly expanded during the past year. Therefore, if the letter is true then typical retailers would report that they are currently receiving shipments of ammo at least as large as were routinely received a year ago, or two years ago?

I haven't bought ammo for a year. Got plenty. Haven't been closely following this shortage. Merely curious if a typical retailer would be able to corroborate that the flow into the retail pipeline remains steady.

Edited by Lester Weevils
I was in Sport Academy in Smyrna late in this afternoon, only saw two boxes of 10mm and 38 specials each, that's it no 45acp, 40mm or 9mm, Really glad I took the plunge and started reloading in Oct 2011 was not that difficult only took a couple of YouTube videos and Lee's ABC of reloading now I'm good for the rest of the year.
Also, start picking up your fired brass, local reloading store in Nashville is charging 6 cents per once fired 9mm brass there was a time not too long ago that 9mm brass was so plentiful few people pick them up. Edited by cgpeanut