why are you still buying ammo?

Guest 556or762

Good lord folks can't get ammo at the price they think they should and they go all to pieces. If you were prepared you would not have to pay high prices for ammo. If you were not then suck it up and pay the prices or don't shoot. It is no ones fault but yours if you don't have ammo. Blame it on the scalpers the Walmart or what ever but look in the mirror and there is the only person at fault. The prices are high because the demand is high. That is life. Price of guns is dropping and ammo should follow. Be patient don't shoot or pay the high prices or get out and spend the time and effort to find it at cheaper prices. Things will get better or they won't. Up to you to decide when to buy or not. Today's prices may be cheap tomorrow. I think it will go back down but maybe it won't. If you don't like the prices don't buy it it really is pretty simple. I don't like the high price of gas but that is life you buy it or don't drive.
  • Like 4
I went by Walmart this afternoon and it was wiped out of all popular cals of ammo.

I agree folks need to stop buying ammo now and let the stock in stores come back to normal levels so prices will fall back to normal.

If everyone keeps buying ammo every time they see a box on the shelf wiping out stock, we will continue to have inflated prices and scarcity.

:2cents:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good lord folks can't get ammo at the price they think they should and they go all to pieces. If you were prepared you would not have to pay high prices for ammo. If you were not then suck it up and pay the prices or don't shoot. It is no ones fault but yours if you don't have ammo. Blame it on the scalpers the Walmart or what ever but look in the mirror and there is the only person at fault. The prices are high because the demand is high. That is life. Price of guns is dropping and ammo should follow. Be patient don't shoot or pay the high prices or get out and spend the time and effort to find it at cheaper prices. Things will get better or they won't. Up to you to decide when to buy or not. Today's prices may be cheap tomorrow. I think it will go back down but maybe it won't. If you don't like the prices don't buy it it really is pretty simple. I don't like the high price of gas but that is life you buy it or don't drive.

Amen...I for one am going to remember Memorial Day tomorrow first going to Stones River National Battle Field for a few moments then go to the Nashville Armory tomorrow afternoon to shoot up some of that expensive ammo that some folks don't think I should be buying.

Amen...I for one am going to remember Memorial Day tomorrow first going to Stones River National Battle Field for a few moments then go to the Nashville Armory tomorrow afternoon to shoot up some of that expensive ammo that some folks don't think I should be buying.

More Power to you. I won't buy ammo unless I can get it at prices that I perceive as a value. Or unless my perception of value changes. :panic:

Edited by Ted S.
Guest JeffreyD

Interesting thread.
Just wait till it's a food shortage.

But if someone properly stock piled their ammo supply, then they won't have to worry about a food supply later. They can either hunt for it or use their huge ammo supply to take what they want. Right?

This is a little late to be getting into this conversation, but as to the original question of "Why are you still buying ammo?", I'll tell you why.

I gave up shooting sports some 25 years ago....my reasoning for that is not important.  Last fall, I decided to begin again.  I bought a new Glock and accessories to begin competing in IDPA.  At the time, ammo was plentiful and reasonable.  I had no reason to stockpile anything.  I'm sorry I didn't see the host of school shootings by a handful of retards coming.  Did anyone?  If I were that good, I'd have picked the winning numbers in the last PowerBall and bought my own ammo factory.  

Reload my own?  Nice try, but have you tried to find components lately?  Small pistol primers going for as high as $10/100!!  Bullets are out there but slow in coming.  Powder is also in short supply, and has anyone tried to find 9mm dies lately?  It's easier to find ammo than components.  Even presses are hard to come by.  

Luckily, I have almost two cases of 9mm setting in my closet that I managed to snag just before the crap really hit the fan, and as I shoot it, I manage to find enough at WM to replace what I shoot in practice and at matches.  I don't get to shoot as much as I want, but I DO get to shoot.

Edited by jdw174
  • Like 1

I would dearly love to be able to purchase ammo at Walmart at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, I am unable to be a Walmart  at 6:00am  every morning to jump ahead of the resellers. Especially when I can get none of the Walmart employees to give me any indication when they actually put out the ammo. I think that is why so many people have a problem with the resellers taking advantage of the situation and charging 2 and 3 times the normal cost. Like I said in my earlier post, I have a good little stock of 9mm but only 100 rounds of that was purchased at "Walmart" prices. And maybe if people would stop purchasing this extremely over priced ammo, availability would settle down and therefore prices would come back down. People are free to do whatever they want. This is America after all. But don't be surprised when people call you out on it.

If you were prepared you would not have to pay high prices for ammo. 

At a basic level, I agree with you, but keep in mind, for the majority of people in this state there is not enough spare income to support stockpiling of ammo and I am sympathetic to that.  Obviously, there are some who could have, but didn't due to short-sightedness or simply chose to spend their money on other things.  However, I think that the ones who are the most upset are the ones who don't have that much spare money to stockpile, who also don't have the spare income (or time) to go around to every place that sells ammo and buys everything they can get their hands on.  It's even worse when these people are buying it all up specifically for resale at two or three times the original price and it's those same people who are stuck either doing without or being forced to pay well above what the market value really is.  

This practice is not about free-markets because there is no free market when a small group of people are creating a false market by controlling ammo supplies.  This is no different than people who run to Lowe's before a hurricane, buy up all the generators, wait until the power is out, and then set up in a parking lot asking 3 or 4 times what the things cost.  Part of the free market idea is that people are guided by some level of ethics, and it's this sort of unethical behavior that leads to government intervention in the market.  Now, I am not saying the government should get involved in this issue, but as I mentioned much earlier in this discussion, part of a free market means that I can complain about other people's business practices all I want.  

I also think it does nobody any good to complain and accuse "others" of unethical practices without naming these people and giving evidence to support the accusation.  

At a basic level, I agree with you, but keep in mind, for the majority of people in this state there is not enough spare income to support stockpiling of ammo and I am sympathetic to that.  Obviously, there are some who could have, but didn't due to short-sightedness or simply chose to spend their money on other things.  However, I think that the ones who are the most upset are the ones who don't have that much spare money to stockpile, who also don't have the spare income (or time) to go around to every place that sells ammo and buys everything they can get their hands on.  It's even worse when these people are buying it all up specifically for resale at two or three times the original price and it's those same people who are stuck either doing without or being forced to pay well above what the market value really is.

You make a good point. However, I don't know that I agree that stockpiling ammo necessarily requires a lot of disposable income. Of course, those with more income to spare can stockpile more easily and more quickly than someone who doesn't have as much but whether you can buy ammo by the pallet or by the case or 20 rounds every month, you can still do it. As with most things in life, it's about priorities. For the vast majority even of assumed "rich" people; there is never enough to do everything at once. ;)

This practice is not about free-markets because there is no free market when a small group of people are creating a false market by controlling ammo supplies.  This is no different than people who run to Lowe's before a hurricane, buy up all the generators, wait until the power is out, and then set up in a parking lot asking 3 or 4 times what the things cost.  Part of the free market idea is that people are guided by some level of ethics, and it's this sort of unethical behavior that leads to government intervention in the market.  Now, I am not saying the government should get involved in this issue, but as I mentioned much earlier in this discussion, part of a free market means that I can complain about other people's business practices all I want.  

I also think it does nobody any good to complain and accuse "others" of unethical practices without naming these people and giving evidence to support the accusation.

It is the lack of evidence that is the rub for me...I can certainly look at the facts we have and agree that some people are trying to profiteer from the current situation but I just don't see that it's Wallyworld or Armslist scalpers who are anything close to the primary reason(s) for the difficulty of obtaining/price of some ammo.
  • Like 1

I am not saying this is not happening it is. What I am saying is it will do no good to fuss about it. You have ammo or you don't if you dont have the extra money to buy higher priced ammo spend the time and effort to find the stuff at lower prices it can be done I found a good bit this weekend. If you can't do either one then don't shoot. But what is the use to get on here and make a fuss about it. Things may get better again I think they will. But something else can happen and they could get a lot worse. There are folks buying ammo up and making a profit on it for sure that is life if you want it cheaper go and beat them to it. Folks just want stuff given to them any more think the world owes them something. Cheaper ammo can be had just have to be willing to put in the work and effort and time to find it. If you don't have the time then you are going to have to pay more. Not much else to say about it.

Jason
  • Like 2
Guest Jeff W

I have no authority to tell anyone what to do with their money.  However, when someone does something stupid that negatively impacts my ability to purchase ammo at a reasonable price then I damned well have the right to speak up and say that I don't like it and wish that such buyers would stop making dumbass decisions that negatively impact anyone who would like to purchase ammo at a more reasonable price.

Further, skirting purchase limit rules and cleaning out shelves of ammo at normal, retail price then reselling it is not simply the 'free market'.  It is profiteers creating a false market and, in a sense, interfering with the normal operation of the free market.

I see people use the word Profiteers. This is a work that is used for business like you local gun store not you or I. It is also for "Essential Goods" When did 22LR become essential? This is a big word that people use to scare or try to scare people to not sale ammo at a higher price. I'm like the other guy who, cares. If you do not want it do not bother to buy it. They will be back on the shelves fast enough.  PROFITEER

(one who makes what is considered an unreasonable profit especially on the sale of essential goods during times of emergency)

Profiteering is a pejorative term for the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical.

Business owners may be accused of profiteering when they raise prices during an emergency (especially a war). The term is also applied to businesses that play on political corruption to obtain government contracts.

Some types of profiteering are illegal, such as price fixing syndicates and other anti-competitive behaviour, for example on fuel subsidies (see British Airways price-fixing allegations), or restricted by industry codes of conduct such as aggressive marketing of products in the third world such as baby milk

Guest JeffreyD

I see people use the word Profiteers. This is a work that is used for business like you local gun store not you or I. It is also for "Essential Goods" When did 22LR become essential? This is a big word that people use to scare or try to scare people to not sale ammo at a higher price. I'm like the other guy who, cares. If you do not want it do not bother to buy it. They will be back on the shelves fast enough.  PROFITEER

(one who makes what is considered an unreasonable profit especially on the sale of essential goods during times of emergency)

Profiteering is a pejorative term for the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical.

Business owners may be accused of profiteering when they raise prices during an emergency (especially a war). The term is also applied to businesses that play on political corruption to obtain government contracts.

Some types of profiteering are illegal, such as price fixing syndicates and other anti-competitive behaviour, for example on fuel subsidies (see British Airways price-fixing allegations), or restricted by industry codes of conduct such as aggressive marketing of products in the third world such as baby milk

My search of the word finds:

prof·it·eer  (probreve.gifflprime.gifibreve.gif-tîrprime.gif)

n.
One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply.
intr.v. prof·it·eeredprof·it·eer·ingprof·it·eers
To make excessive profits on goods in short supply.

My search of the word finds:

prof·it·eer  (probreve.gifflprime.gifibreve.gif-tîrprime.gif)

n.
One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply.
intr.v. prof·it·eeredprof·it·eer·ingprof·it·eers
To make excessive profits on goods in short supply.

I would agree with that.

Edited by Grunt67