why are you still buying ammo?

Guest 556or762

Guest 556or762
I have another quick rant for today....... Why are you still buying ammo from individuals and pawn shops? I watch and pay close attention to what goes where near my house and there are the same people at every Wal Mart and every sporting goods store every morning. I have not purchased any ammo second hand nor have I paid over msrp or waited in line for ammo but I see those doing it. I also watch as the same 5 guys buy ammo at Wally world and hand it to the same one guy in the parking lot at least once every couple weeks, oh and he's selling it here and on the web! There is ammo out there and from my sources there is just as much now as before but a market for price gouging has been created and until we STOP buying ammo from individuals and stores that sell Wally world, dicks, academy ammo for double the money the market won't go away. I can't understand why people don't understand if you don't buy it they can't make money on it and then you can just go get it yourself at Wally world. Ok I'm gonna catch some crap for this I know but think about it, remove the demand you remove the resellers profitability and they stop the crap they're doing. I'm out!

I ain't buyin' nuthin' from nobody, except the occasional .22mag, .45ACP and .357mag that I happen to find at Walmart, Academy or Bass Pro Shop-- or when I find a "good" deal on line-- even so, with purchase limitations, the shipping stinks. My most recent order from Midway will be my last one for a while.

I'm pretty well set on the other 7 calibers that I shoot, and I ain't camping out for nobody.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

What does it really matter?  I buy ammo from local gun stores and online but if someone want's to buy ammo from another person and is willing to pay the price why care?

It's a willing seller and a willing buyer - isn't that what the free market is supposed to be about?  :shrug:

• Like 3

What does it really matter?  I buy ammo from local gun stores and online but if someone want's to buy ammo from another person and is willing to pay the price why care?

Because in this case someone else's willingness to pay an inflated price to purchase ammo from profiteers directly impacts the rest of the buying public's ability to walk into a Walmart, LGS, etc. and purchase ammo at normal, retail prices.  It continues to give the profiteers incentive to go into Walmart, skirt the purchase limits by having their friends make straw purchases of ammo for them, clean out the Walmart shelves and not leave any ammo for people who just want to buy a box or two to shoot.  This creates a false market which negatively impacts all, potential ammo buyers - not just the one who decides to pay inflated prices to a profiteer.

If it were just a matter of one guy saying, "Hey, I happen to have more ammo than I need.  I will sell some of it to you at a premium," then that would be one thing.  Encouraging profiteers to continue buying up all the ammo they can get in order to resell it, resulting in a lack of ammo on the shelf for 'regular' shooters to buy, is a completely different matter.

• Like 7
I have one firearm and 20 arounds for it and I payed 10 bucks for it probably more than I should but I digress, only reason I don't have more is everywhere on the net including here the ammo in the amount I want to buy is just to much once it goes back down to where it was at before all this happened I will buy more until then I'm sticking with what I got

Last I bought was a bulk box of .22LR back in October. I gave it away, twice.  (The first fellow found some before retrieving it). 

The box before that was in 2010.  Have not bought more than a box of any center-fire for 6-7 years.

I *may* have bought a few reloading supplies, but can't really remember that.  Pretty sure David won't remember either.

Because in this case someone else's willingness to pay an inflated price to purchase ammo from profiteers directly impacts the rest of the buying public's ability to walk into a Walmart, LGS, etc. and purchase ammo at normal, retail prices.  It continues to give the profiteers incentive to go into Walmart, skirt the purchase limits by having their friends make straw purchases of ammo for them, clean out the Walmart shelves and not leave any ammo for people who just want to buy a box or two to shoot.  This creates a false market which negatively impacts all, potential ammo buyers - not just the one who decides to pay inflated prices to a profiteer.

If it were just a matter of one guy saying, "Hey, I happen to have more ammo than I need.  I will sell some of it to you at a premium," then that would be one thing.  Encouraging profiteers to continue buying up all the ammo they can get in order to resell it, resulting in a lack of ammo on the shelf for 'regular' shooters to buy, is a completely different matter.

Who are you (or me or anyone else) to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do with their own money?

Are we only in favor of the free market when it doesn't inconvenience us?

If I want to pay $500 for a 20 round box of .22 who's business is that other than mine???

I guess we could have the government to step in and take control...I remember the "WIN" program under Nixon...that really worked well.   :shake:

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Who are you (or me or anyone else) to tell someone what they should or shouldn't do with their own money?

Are we only in favor of the free market when it doesn't inconvenience us?

If I want to pay $500 for a 20 round box of .22 who's business is that other than mine???

I guess we could have the government to step in and take control...I remember the "WIN" program under Nixon...that really worked well.   :shake:

I have no authority to tell anyone what to do with their money.  However, when someone does something stupid that negatively impacts my ability to purchase ammo at a reasonable price then I damned well have the right to speak up and say that I don't like it and wish that such buyers would stop making dumbass decisions that negatively impact anyone who would like to purchase ammo at a more reasonable price.

Further, skirting purchase limit rules and cleaning out shelves of ammo at normal, retail price then reselling it is not simply the 'free market'.  It is profiteers creating a false market and, in a sense, interfering with the normal operation of the free market.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 3

I have no authority to tell anyone what to do with their money.  However, when someone does something stupid that negatively impacts my ability to purchase ammo at a reasonable price then I damned well have the right to speak up and say that I don't like it and wish that such buyers would stop making dumbass decisions that negatively impact anyone who would like to purchase ammo at a more reasonable price.

Further, skirting purchase limit rules and cleaning out shelves of ammo at normal, retail price then reselling it is not simply the 'free market'.  It is profiteers creating a false market and, in a sense, interfering with the normal operation of the free market.

Well...maybe you aren't telling anyone what to do with their money but you seem to be implying that you would like to. ;)

I'm afraid it is the free market. I understand you don't like what's happening and you think it's unfair but it's still free people doing perfectly legal things with their money.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1

Man, I honestly forget sometimes that some youse guys actually gotta go BUY ammunition for your guns. Sad.

Well, some of them, anyway.  I don't shoot my centerfire, semiauto pistols much, anymore and I have some ammo onhand for them.  In centerfire handguns, I mainly shoot .38/.357 revolvers and I do reload for them.  I still buy a box or two here and there in .44 Mag but will keep the brass to reload - plus I don't shoot a lot of .44 so that isn't a big deal.

My main gripe is .22LR and, to a lesser degree, .22WMR.  Those were the guns I was shooting absolutely the most before the 'shortage'.  I have a decent amount of both on hand so it isn't like I can't shoot them, ever, but I was doing a pretty high volume of rimfire shooting - both handgun and long gun - before the current silliness because the ammo was relatively inexpensive.

I know your solution is that you don't even own a .22LR and reload other calibers just as cheaply but I have guns in LR and WMR that I love shooting and that are among my most fun guns to shoot.  Plus I am not in a position where I am ready to take the bullet casting plunge - at least not at this time.

Guest semiautots

It really is a black market for ammo (look up the definition of "black market" here:  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/black+market.  There is no governmental restriction, but there are limits at each retailer.  Soon, more ammo manufacturers will join the fray and we will have an oversupply of ammo and it will go down in price.  Just like AR-15's are going to be REAL cheap in a few months, barring Feinswein's market manipulation, round 2.

I have no authority to tell anyone what to do with their money.  However, when someone does something stupid that negatively impacts my ood.to purchase ammo at a reasonable price then I damned well have the right to speak up and say that I don't like it and wish that such buyers would stop making dumbass decisions that negatively impact anyone who would like to purchase ammo at a more reasonable price.

Well I guess we could be like NC who has PPP. We could demand APP, that would be ammo purchase permits.
Yes it sucks. Just wait till the .gov figures out how to make us do the same thing with food.

Man, I honestly forget sometimes that some youse guys actually gotta go BUY ammunition for your guns. Sad.

Yeah...yeah..rub it in. :)

Even if I reloaded I suspect I'd still be buying "factory" as well. Besides, are some reloading supplies (powder, primers, etc) hard to come by as well right now (or am I remembering incorrectly)?

Well...maybe you aren't telling anyone what to do with their money but you seem to be implying that you would like to. ;)

I'm afraid it is the free market. I understand you don't like what's happening and you think it's unfair but it's still free people doing perfectly legal things with their money.

Not so much telling them what to do with their money as telling them that paying such inflated prices is pretty stupid and only perpetuates the problem.

I still do not agree that this is simply the 'free market'.  Unlike the normal 'free market', where the majority of the ammo buying public has the same access to, for instance, Walmart ammo at Walmart prices, the profiteers are interfering with such access by using dishonest tactics (such as bypassing the purchase limits) to clean out the ammo case at Walmart before anyone else has a chance to make a purchase.  Further, these profiteers are not buying ammo for personal use but with the intention of reselling the ammo at a markedly inflated prices - prices not driven by normal, market forces but by the fact that they have created for themselves a defacto 'monopoly' on ammo supplies.  So, again, these people are interfering with the normal flow of the free market.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

I posted this somewhere on TGO, but there are some folks that buy both ammo and certain firearms from Walmart and either sell to gun shops, or are agents of certain gun shops.

I recall some postings about this.
SOME components are difficult to find....but that's just like factory ammo, thats why you put away a good stash.

A lot of my loads use powders very few people use. I've found excellent results with some powders that are not run of the mill for the respective calibers I use them for. Therefore, the only common denominator for me is primers. Thankfully they are easy to store and take up very little space. You can store 20,000 primers in the same general space as a thousand rounds of factory boxed ammo.
  • Like 4

Well I guess we could be like NC who has PPP. We could demand APP, that would be ammo purchase permits.
Yes it sucks. Just wait till the .gov figures out how to make us do the same thing with food.

I don't recall seeing any post in this thread where anyone is calling for the government to step in and stop the stupidity.  Instead, some of us are pointing out that if people who are buying ammo at inflated prices from profiteers would simply and voluntarily stop doing so then the stupidity would likely come to an end all on its own and that would be better for all of us who want to buy and shoot ammo.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

I don't recall seeing any post in this thread where anyone is calling for the government to step in and stop the stupidity.  Instead, some of us are pointing out that if people who are buying ammo at inflated prices from profiteers would simply and voluntarily stop doing so then the stupidity would likely come to an end all on its own and that would be better for all of us who want to buy and shoot ammo.nowners.

Ahh well there's the rub. We like to talk about WE gunowners. In fact as we see from folks who join here just to sell or attempt to buy something, the concept of gunowners as a collective group is pretty much BS.

I personally agree with you and I have bought limited ammo over the last few years and I have never paid a "premium" for what I've bought.

We have seen the enemy and he is us.
  • Like 6
  • Authorized Vendor

Well if any of you guys that hate the way things are and are against people buying at inflated prices have any 9MM ammo for sale I'd love to hear from you via PM. I'd be happy to buy some from you at pre-school shooting prices.

• Like 2