How many here change their transmission fluid ?

Just curious and please be honest. I am wondering how many here change their transmission fluid wheather you do it or have it done. And how many here just dont change it at all.

I know that some of the newer automatic transmissions like the Toyota Tacoma's have a "lifetime" fluid and doesnt have to be changed but I personally would change it anyways.

Anyways , thanks for any of your information . After I get enough answers I'll explain why I asked. Thanks :wave:

Guest 6.8 AR

None of them are lifetime, Tercel. They may say it, but when it starts to discolor or get clear, it will be time for

a transmission. I have a couple of cars to change it, soon. Usually between 60-100k is okay, except for harsh

duty vehicles. Then it should be more frequently.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Never did on any of the cars ive had.

None of them have ever had tranny problems.

I only change my oil 1 time a year. Never had an engine problem. Lol had my riding mower 10 years with the oil it came with. Runs great.

If you leave it in until the trans goes out that would fulfill the "lifetime" qualification. I service ALL my transmissions and diffs every 30k, regardless of the factory's advice. (fluid is cheap compared to transmissions and diffs)

Several years back BMW upped the oil change interval to 15k to reduce the maintenance cost on their cars since they were covering the first few years of maintenance. I had to change one customers oil with a scraper and chisel b/c they thought to would be fine to skip one if they were too busy. 

That's a chunk of factory 5w-30 in between my fingers in the picture.

2719212592_3bd27b2e11.jpg

• Like 2
I have heard of and had one myself that went out shortly after changing the fluid. Some say it is because gunk gets loosened and moves around and blocks passages.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Who here can say their trans failed do to not changing the fluid? Everyone claims they need it done but i dont know of a personal case where the fluid killed the trans.

And what are your qualifications to evaluate transmission failures?

As a former factory trained technician for two makes (VW and BMW) I've replaced more than my fair share of "lifetime fill" VW, Audi, and BMW transmissions and NEVER had even one come out cheaper than replacing the fluid regularly.

Mine have never failed but I always service them regularly.

• Like 1

I have heard of and had one myself that went out shortly after changing the fluid. Some say it is because gunk gets loosened and moves around and blocks passages.

This is often true, you can't wait until 100k with no trans maintenance and then decide to change the fluid, it needs to be changed in regular intervals from the get go or not at all from my experience.

• Like 1

None of them are lifetime, Tercel. They may say it, but when it starts to discolor or get clear, it will be time for

a transmission. I have a couple of cars to change it, soon. Usually between 60-100k is okay, except for harsh

duty vehicles. Then it should be more frequently.

Oh I agree 6.8AR , trust me . I sure dont believe in the "lifetime" fluid . I am just wondering what others do . Plus I know you are a good "SHO" mechanic !

Guest 6.8 AR

A lot of BMW owners are skeptical about that 15K change frequency for the oil, as am I, but the tranny usually

doesn't gunk up like that picture of the engine. Anyway, I realize the need for routine maintenance on the tranny

and would rather lean to the "more frequently" side as you suggest. I know the one in my car is expensive.

I change the oil and filter on mine at about 6-7K with Mobil 1 zero weight. Some I know are more frequent than that.

If you leave it in until the trans goes out that would fulfill the "lifetime" qualification. I service ALL my transmissions and diffs every 30k, regardless of the factory's advice. (fluid is cheap compared to transmissions and diffs)

Several years back BMW upped the oil change interval to 15k to reduce the maintenance cost on their cars since they were covering the first few years of maintenance. I had to change one customers oil with a scraper and chisel b/c they thought to would be fine to skip one if they were too busy. 

That's a chunk of factory 5w-30 in between my fingers in the picture.

2719212592_3bd27b2e11.jpg

Good Lord Allmighty !!!!!

Guest 6.8 AR

Oh I agree 6.8AR , trust me . I sure dont believe in the "lifetime" fluid . I am just wondering what others do . Plus I know you are a good "SHO" mechanic !

Once upon a time, maybe. :D I may be getting with 2.ooohhh to have some work done. I have two Bimmers, now.

I am a pretty good mechanic and heard of and have delt with this myself : I changed my mother-in-laws tranny fluid that had never been changed. SHe had 130,000 miles on it. I changed it when she told me that it had never been changed. THen 1 month later her transmission failed. It seems that the dirt/trash/grime becomes part of the transmission and if it is flushed out then the transmission will fail.

Once upon a time, maybe. :D I may be getting with 2.ooohhh to have some work done. I have two Bimmers, now.

This is WAY off topic but do you  know that the Ford Mustang SVO was created to run against the BMW 3 series ? Plus it was the best handling mustang there was . Also it's sister's were the Turbo coupe Thunderbird and the XR4TI .

Edited by tercel89
Guest TankerHC

We have a 98 Avalon we bought new in 98. I have had that car to the shop half a dozen times telling them the Transmission fluid needed to be changed only for them to as me "Why", and of course I didnt know why.

It has 239,000 on it right now and still runs like the day we drove it off the lot.

I have owned a lot of new and used cars over the last 30+ years, and read this post and scratching my head...I dont think I have EVER had to get transmission fluid changed.

We have a 98 Avalon we bought new in 98. I have had that car to the shop half a dozen times telling them the Transmission fluid needed to be changed only for them to as me "Why", and of course I didnt know why.

It has 239,000 on it right now and still runs like the day we drove it off the lot.

I have owned a lot of new and used cars over the last 30+ years, and read this post and scratching my head...I dont think I have EVER had to get transmission fluid changed.

That's cause it's Japanese !!LOL  American cars are POS !!!!

• Like 1

This is often true, you can't wait until 100k with no trans maintenance and then decide to change the fluid, it needs to be changed in regular intervals from the get go or not at all from my experience.

I am a pretty good mechanic and heard of and have delt with this myself : I changed my mother-in-laws tranny fluid that had never been changed. SHe had 130,000 miles on it. I changed it when she told me that it had never been changed. THen 1 month later her transmission failed. It seems that the dirt/trash/grime becomes part of the transmission and if it is flushed out then the transmission will fail.

I'll agree with the above.  If it's old and never been changed, leave it be. 

I get the trans fluid changed in my vehicles every 50k-60k miles.  I change the oil every 5k with semi-synthetic.  And for the record, I hate automatic transmissions.  I'll take a 5 speed any day.  Clutches are MUCH cheaper and easier to replace.

I think it depends on how the fluid is changed if potential damage can be done.   If a shop uses one of the machines that flushes the fluid then you're asking for trouble by some crud breaking loose if the fluid is old.   

I've got a Volvo that I've changed the fluid on but there is a procedure you can do that is more like a "transfusion" (no pun intended) than a flush.  It puts no more velocity on the fluid than normal driving so there's not much chance of anything breaking loose.   It does take quite a bit more fluid to do the change using this procedure but it's worth it by not risking damage.   

Edited by Trekbike

my trans acted up right after the required fluid change. I was so mad, it had never had a single issue before that.

Okay you guys have me freaked out. I had never had a vehicle long enough to worry about it before now. I have a 5 yr old Chevy with 69k on it and just last week when getting the oil changed the guy commented on my tranny fluid being a little dark and Chevy recommending a change every 50k. I was kinda planning on changing it next time I had an oil change, but with all the stories of them going bad soon after, now I am thinking if it ain't broke....... Edited by pops572

I only changed my Ford F250 diesel truck transmission fluid as per the schedule because I use to pull a lot of trailers, campers, & boats.  Other than that, I have never changed the fluid.  Knowing the mechanics and how fluids can breakdown, I recommend what the OEM recommends.  Another way to look at this, one can go days/weeks/months without brushing one's teeth, no problem in short term, but 100% assured over time, you will have problems.