Privacy fence average price per foot?

I am looking to put up a 6' privacy fence in my back yard and am trying to get a general idea of what price I should expect to have it installed. I haven't measured yet as I just decided to do this this morning but I am figuring roughly 200 feet or less (probably less) of just the plain jane privacy fence. I don't really have the time to do it myself but if the cost will be significantly different then I may attempt it. Installed would be better for me though. My step father does carpentry work and is going to give me a quote as soon as I give him the length but I just really want to compare him to what most other people would charge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a side note; I have been known to shoot an airsoft gun or three in the backyard (city limits) and I don't want the neighbors calling the law on me. That's just one of the many reasons I love privacy fences.

Usually starting out for a basic fence it's around $ 7.50 a linear foot. But if you add gates it goes up.

That's far cheaper than I was able to find, even with Lowes and Home Depot. Most of our quotes were almost double that. Other than 2 36" gates, it wasn't going to be anything fancy.

I think from what I have heard that the contractors that use HD or Lowe's are always higher. I have noticed you can get far better pricing with the local lumber yard. I am sure I will end up going with my step dad if it isn't too bad . If so then I might just make a summer project out of it. $7.50 would be fine with me though!

That is Labor. You would still need to buy material, sorry about leaving that out the first time. I will say what ever you do do not buy the pre built sections, by the lumber then build it that way the pre built sections are poorly built.

That makes sense. That sounds about right.

I dunno what your costs will be, but my sort of neighbor built one a couple of years ago.

he has zero lack of privacy from where I sit.  Got an eyeful of his lovely wife one day while she was lying poolside.

Pays to be on high ground

• Like 1

Well I have roughly 275 linear feet which is about 100 foot over what I though I had. That total up to around $3500. Probably closer o $4000........ Kind of busted my bubble as I was thinking around $1000-$1500. Everyone please give me a warm welcome to reality.

So I backed up to punt and decided to just redo the front portion of fence on either side of my house facing the road. One side already has a privacy fence up but they used some kind of ugly composite board and painted it a dull blue color. The other side is chain link and will be replace with wood with a gate/fence. Two questions:

1) Would you use cedar or pine for the fence pickets. Looks doesn't really matter as it will be stained. I want the longest lasting.

2) What is the "normal" width of a double gate. I don't want it so long and heavy that it will sag but want it as wide as possible. I will be using 6x6 posts for the gate post.

We're studying putting one in right now as well.  It will be a DIY job for us.  Initially we were going for the 6 foot privacy fence but it would really give us no privacy due to the lay of the land.  We are going to do a wood rail fence with welded wire instead.  I will tell you to stay away from the prefabed panel at Lowe's and HD.  They are cheaply made with brads instead of nail or screws, which you should use.  They also have no spacing between the panels so they are very susceptible to wind damage.

Guest bluecanary25

I can't afford one, but I'm really trying to sell the 3 neighbors that border my property on why they need one.... :rofl:

Take a pointer from Mike357...

get a pool to lay beside so your neighbors can see.   :rock:

Cedar will be even more expensive than the treated pine. If you are going to stain them then just go with the pine and save the money. Use 6x6 on the post and make sure you get an anti sag kit. If you build the gate larger than normal make sure you put wheels on it so it's east to move and the wheels also keep it from sagging.