S&W or Sig 1911? Maybe STI?

VERO1

I have decided to clean all the plastic guns out of my safe. I want a new 45 acp. Above are the three I am seriously considerin. I have had lots of Colts and a couple Springfields. Give me your two cents worths on my choices please.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sig 1911's appear to be pretty awesome....I know its not on your list but you really should take a look at a Dan Wesson 1911

Congrats on getting rid of the tupperware!

Since I picked up my 1911 from JWP at Coal Creek I need to unload this XD45 Compact I bought...any takers ;-D *thread hijack in progress*

^ :P

The Sig Revolutions are freakin awesome. Completely absent of tool marks and the tolerances are really tight. One of the best production 1911's out there IMO.

Joe has one at Hero Gear if you're close enough to him to swing by. *You can never be too far away.

I just picked up a Springfield Champion Operator from him this weekend. The workmanship is second to none and damn is it accurate.

Guest Todd@CIS

Of the choices that you mention,

S&W 1911...they run. I'd rather not have the goofy safety system, but they are great guns. And if you do have a problem, S&W's customer service is 2nd to none.

SIG 1911...had some issues at first, but now seem to be good guns.

STI...I'm going to write some heresy here, but I've heard of alot of issues by too many STI owners to ever want one. Eventually they seem to be made right, but too many leave the factory with problems (most seem to be fairly minor, but still).

You might check www.1911forum.com for more info.

Edited by Todd@CIS

I was in a similar situation last year (S&W or Sig). I went with the S&W and have never looked back. Other than a $75 trigger job (original was a little loose for me) and full length guide rod, it is stock. As of yesterday, I have about 600 rounds through it and not one single FTF, FTE or any other problem.

S_W_19110003.JPG

Edited by DavidD
Guest gcrookston

I've not had an STI Edge in about 10 years, but never a problem with the one I did own (other than it was during the AWB and hicap magazines were a little difficult to come by, not an issue now). I don't believe they are rebadging RIA guns on their entry level arms, rather they are using Armscor frames. Armscor makes the frames for RIA, Charles Daly and others.

I do have a Sig GSR I recently purchased used and have no issues... In fact, I really like it. I've only heard good things about the S&W and have handled quite a few, but never fired one.

I am glad to hear that the SIG Revolution has the bugs worked out.I almost bought one of the first ones until the reports stated coming.As for the S&W I have not handled any of the newer one but the first ones had triggers that were way too heavy.

Edited by Grout
  • 2 weeks later...