Concealed Carry 45 - Springfield / Bersa / Kahr

Guest Kram815

Guest Kram815

Looking for my first CCW.  I am in the HVAC Service / Installation field and im often in the rougher parts of town with cash. I am looking for a 45cal, light and easy concealed. I am in crawl spaces, attics and im out in all types of weather so It needs to be fairly rugged and easy to clean.

So far 3 have caught my eye... the Springfield XDS45, Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra 45 and Kahr CW45. I havent shot either of the 3. Love the feel. look and safties of the Springfield but for $200 less the Bersa and Kahr have me debating.  Pluse im not sure about the double action on the Bersa.

Any input or suggestions will be much appreciated...  

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are moving around a lot and it is getting banged around you may want a safety.

Some HVAC friends of mine all carry small .380's like the bodyguard or lcp. They fit in pants or a shirt pocket.
 Plus im not sure about the double action on the Bersa.

Any input or suggestions will be much appreciated...  

What's your question about this? The Bersa is SA/DA. I've carried one daily for a few years now with no problems whatsoever-- usually in double action mode with safety on. Drop safety, pull trigger, bang. If you have a good holster, you can choose not to use the safety (it also functions as a decocker)--the trigger pull is just heavy enough in double action mode to prevent all but the most careless mistakes. The single action trigger pull is substantially less, making shots #2-8 much easier to get off, since the gun automatically switches to single action after the first shot, with a much shorter and lighter trigger pull. Since the safety and decocker are actuated by the same lever, it is NOT recommended to carry it in single action mode, although it can technically be done. Unlike a 1911, there is no way to carry it in "cocked & locked" condition.

A buddy of mine carries the XDS, he likes it a lot, and it's gotten some great reviews. Biggest complaints I see on it are usually concerning muzzle flip and limited capacity with the standard magazine. There have been a few cases of weak blowback, but I would guess that's more from limpwristing such a light gun than the actual gun itself.

I can't speak for the Kahr as I have no experience with it.

Edited by tartanphantom

Just a thought, but "small, light, easily concealed, crawling around", etc just doesn't scream ".45" to me, or any gun carried IWB or OWB.

Consider Kahr CM 9mm in a good pocket holster that grabs the gun well. Plenty of oomph for SD, much smaller than Kahr CW .45, or the XD, still 6+1.

Mine's PM 9, but same size as CM 9, carried in this StellarRigs holster, extra mag is a comfort, and takes up no more room than without it.

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Much prefer having my XD subbie with 13+1, but have to be more discreet than IWB often, so the Kahr gets the nod for most of the daily duty. Was just shooting it today, as a matter of fact, do it every couple months or so to keep familiar.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I once owned a CW45, it was a good shooter. They are somewhat ammo finicky but a lot of 45's are. It was one of the hardest recoiling handguns I had ever shot, it is about equivalent to shooting a 357 mag lightweight revolver. I have shit a friends XDS and I would love to have one even though it doesn't shoot POA. It just shoots low wit everyone but who cares. I have never owned nor even shot a Bersa by they do make pretty good guns.

Very importantly, how do you plan to carry? Edited by Patton

Unless you practice disengaging the safety/decocker until it's second nature, I'd go with the XD, Glock, Kahr or an M&P with no manual safety. Get a quality kydex holster with good retention along with a good sturdy belt designed to carry a firearm and you won't have to worry about accidents.

I have a Bersa Thunder UC9 and a Commander length 1911 and I don't carry either of them because I haven't dedicated the time to training myself to disengage that safety.

And on top of that, your life is worth more than $200.

Edited by daddyo
Guest Bonedaddy

Call me a Rooga Ho but for where you often find yourself,  a SR9c would fit the bill. DA with a safety (if you choose to use it) and you won't be worried 'bout the transition between DA and SA but if you're dead set on .45, their new SR45 feels as good as most 1911s in the hand, due to slim grip, SS and polymer and holds 10+1.

Guest Kram815

Thanks for all the replies... I was planning on carrying IWB. My boss carries the XDS 45 i found out today, gonna shoot it tomorrow and try it out.

For $100+ less than the XDS i had just about talked myself into the Bersa... if i dont like it i can always give it to my boy, he is a lefty after all. Im sure shooting the XDS will help me fork over the extra cash...

I find some short sub compacts harder to carry than compacts IWB. For example my Glock 26, which is my favorite carry gun, doesn't have as much barrel length to stabilize it IWB like my G23 does. A G36 would be a great IWB gun.

Just a thought, but "small, light, easily concealed, crawling around", etc just doesn't scream ".45" to me, or any gun carried IWB or OWB.

Consider Kahr CM 9mm in a good pocket holster that grabs the gun well. Plenty of oomph for SD, much smaller than Kahr CW .45, or the XD, still 6+1.

Mine's PM 9, but same size as CM 9, carried in this StellarRigs holster, extra mag is a comfort, and takes up no more room than without it.

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

Much prefer having my XD subbie with 13+1, but have to be more discreet than IWB often, so the Kahr gets the nod for most of the daily duty. Was just shooting it today, as a matter of fact, do it every couple months or so to keep familiar.

- OS

I'll second this. I traded a Kahr PM40 off and have regretted it ever since. I will be getting a PM or CM 9MM soon hopefully.

I once owned a CW45, it was a good shooter. They are somewhat ammo finicky but a lot of 45's are. It was one of the hardest recoiling handguns I had ever shot, it is about equivalent to shooting a 357 mag lightweight revolver.

Both of my Bersa 45s will eat anything you feed them with no issues. FMJ, HP, brass, aluminum, steel casings, you name it. I tend to stick with brass as a persona preference, though.

The Bersa Thunder 45 has a moderate recoil, perceived more as a "push" than a "flip"-- most likely due to it's frame and the rather substantial grip. It's quite enjoyable to shoot, as opposed to the "bucking bronco" tendencies of some lighter 45s. The Bersa uses a staggered cartridge arrangement in the magazine, which makes the grip fatter than a true single stack mag, but thinner than a true double stack mag.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • 2 weeks later...