What is the best wireless router for a tablet ?

HI all,

just checked the date code on my WiFi router.....2004....time to replace.

- My newest wireless device is a Samsung tablet that is 5Ghz N-capable.   

- I wish to keep the budget below $150, but do want to run 5 Ghz.

- I am a ham radio HF and also VHF weak signal operator; thus a router with low radio emmisions is preferred (some of them are not well designed / shielded and radiate crap all over the radio spectrum) 

Any thoughts on best device?

Thanks,

Bert

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Netgear WNDr 3800. . dual band . . .great range and penetration . . .I live in a brick home  with hard wood floors and knotty pine interior walls and it works great in the basement and outside up to a block and a half from the house   and can set up from any mobile device (no PC needed for set up). . .print from any connected device. . . and will even serve as a "cloud" and allow you to connect to any device connected to the router from anywhere.  ..

Edited by turkeydad
^^ I have the 3700 great router.. But I use 2.4 mostly.... The 5 doesn't travel as far but test both when you get one... There are great apps that will give you all routers in the area... strength & channels

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Guest TankerHC

If your still looking and interested I have 3 Cisco 802.11 AC  dual band routers, backwards compatible to a/b/g/n and the oldest one is less than 4 months old (AC is the new standard). They are as new and they are $200 routers. Ill sell you one for half price. Message me if interested.

If you ever have any problem with it I can give you a direct email to the engineer who designed it. Its still uner warranty, but thats better than a warranty. Or you can just call me. I helped Netgear develop the drivers and test the firmware. Little about it I dont know. These aren't Netgears they are Linksys, but the process and testing is the same. But if you want a Netgear I can supply one of those as well, for a little higher price.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Lester Weevils

TankerHC sounds like he has a deal. Ain't no expert on routers but I've had good luck with linksys gear.

Old ancient Dad is a Ham, has his tranceiver and linear amp, computers, linsys router, wireless phones, cellphones, inexpensive wireless security cams all in the same room. Coax running within a few feet of the computer on its way out to his tower outside the house.

His wireless phones and cellphones seem to get along with the ham gear and the cheap wireless cams. I bought him a linksys wireless router and the only logical place to put it, was within a few feet of all that other gear piled up.

MAYBE that particular linksys is on the lower-end of the quality control bell curve, or MAYBE it is working as good as can be expected. Dunno if any other router would do any better in that RF jungle. Just saying that I get great range out of the same router at my house, and the range on his router is kinda limited. In addition, the router will fuzz up the display on his cheap wireless security cams.

Was thinking maybe run a bunch of cat 5 and put his router up on the wall a couple of rooms away, but dunno if that would improve wifi reception in his radio shack room. Maybe it would help out his wireless cams, or maybe not.

Guest TankerHC

Just read the other posts and will throw my two cents in here. If your having problems on the 5ghz band and not on the 2.4, that means your doing it wrong. The dual band routers were not developed to test and run separate bands with separate SSID's. The reason the 5 Ghz band was developed was because 2.4 is overcrowded. They arent called "simultaneous" dual band routers for nothing. The intent was to run both bands enabled with the SAME SSID. If you drop one band, it will automatically switch over to the next band, this keeps you from getting dropped. Everyone uses the 5 Ghz band (Joe blow 1) then when it drops switches over to the 2.4 (Joe Blow 2)and visa versa, and thats not how its supposed to work. 

EDIT: And simultaneous dual band routers will always select the fasted band. And its seamless, you wont even notice it. The only thing you'll notice is your not getting dropped any longer.

Edited by TankerHC

If your still looking and interested I have 3 Cisco 802.11 AC  dual band routers, backwards compatible to a/b/g/n and the oldest one is less than 4 months old (AC is the new standard). They are as new and they are $200 routers. Ill sell you one for half price. Message me if interested.

If you ever have any problem with it I can give you a direct email to the engineer who designed it. Its still uner warranty, but thats better than a warranty. Or you can just call me. I helped Netgear develop the drivers and test the firmware. Little about it I dont know. These aren't Netgears they are Linksys, but the process and testing is the same. But if you want a Netgear I can supply one of those as well, for a little higher price.

PM your way with a few questions. Thanks!

Just read the other posts and will throw my two cents in here. If your having problems on the 5ghz band and not on the 2.4, that means your doing it wrong. The dual band routers were not developed to test and run separate bands with separate SSID's. The reason the 5 Ghz band was developed was because 2.4 is overcrowded. They arent called "simultaneous" dual band routers for nothing. The intent was to run both bands enabled with the SAME SSID. If you drop one band, it will automatically switch over to the next band, this keeps you from getting dropped. Everyone uses the 5 Ghz band (Joe blow 1) then when it drops switches over to the 2.4 (Joe Blow 2)and visa versa, and thats not how its supposed to work.

EDIT: And simultaneous dual band routers will always select the fasted band. And its seamless, you wont even notice it. The only thing you'll notice is your not getting dropped any longer.

Have to ask... so setting the ssd for both 2.4 & 5 to the same name this will run the best and switch to the other if needed?

Guest TankerHC

Have to ask... so setting the ssd for both 2.4 & 5 to the same name this will run the best and switch to the other if needed?

Yes, thats how they were intended to run. But everyone does the same thing. Two separate bands, two SSID, two (sometimes) guest networks. If you want something like that, you should run two routers on a wireless bridge.

And if you want to know how, I can tell ya.

Edited by TankerHC

I am using a EA4500 Linksys which is the "N" technology with good results.  I purchased the router at the Cisco Store and they give 30 day money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied.  This was important to me as it was new technology when I made the purchase.  Check the link below for new and refurbished.  I bought a refurb EA4500 to use at Church and it has performed flawless for a lot less than the new unit. 

http://store.linksys.com/products/specials-deals-offers-cisco-store_stcVVcatId552218VVviewcat.htm

Guest TankerHC

Old tech.

900 Mbps is nothing compared to AC at 1750. If your using an N adapter thats fine, no need to pay that kind of money for an 802.11N Router when an AC router is available for nearly the same price. When someone buys a N router, your limited to a/b/g/n, with later N routers your limited to b/g/n. Thats 10 year old tech, in computer years, that would be about a million years. The future is AC. At least for the next 4-7 years. (Or 400,000 years in computer years) lol

If I were ANYBODY, I wouldnt spend one more penny on N technology. next year (And you can buy them right now actually, I have half a dozen) when all laptops are coming out with AC adapters, and those people who are still buying N routers and getting transmission rates of 450Mbps, while those who bought AC routers (for nearly the same price) are getting 1750Mbps, you (everyone eventually) will be out spending more money on AC routers.

And your web speed doesnt have anything to do with it. he reviewers I see on those Amazon router purchases, dont know what they are talking about. I can see that by the simple comments like "My Internet is really super fast with this N router" or words to that effect. Which makes it obvious they have no clue how a router works.

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

Even if you dont change your machines (Unless your running a 486sx20 or something), change the adapter and although you wont get the complete 1750Mbps Router<>computer, and these routers and adapters are fully capable of max transmission rates, you would see a major improvement of transmission rate.

Note: here is what I was talking about, from the very first review.

I changed the title of the review, because, other than price, there is no longer any reason not to buy this product. It is the best wireless access point on the market, save for the new ASUS RT-AC66U, , which is just an updated version of this product. (New radio, supports a new standard that nobody uses yet.)

He wrote that in January, 2012, by January of 2013 he should have been eating his words. in January 12 it was in Alpha, meaning not even close to a full IEEE release, half a year later it was in beta, even 8 months ago it was in beta. (not a full release), the firmware was not "matured" enough and the drivers for the adapters were not ready, but he should have bought it anyway and should not have been promoting N over AC. Everything (almost everything) is backwards compatible, if he would have spent the extra 20 bucks and got the AC router, he would still be just fine with his N adapter, but apparently he never heard of Firmware updates and driver versions, because he would have been been using his N adapter, and at the same time receiving firmware updates (which are automatic in all of these routers) as the product matured. the adapters were out back then as well, should have bought both the router and adapter(s), the drivers weren't ready, but just like the routers, as the drivers updated, you run in N mode and wait until the drivers work, in this case on Win 8 they didn't work in Beta, the full launch for some of them was back in March, now they work.

The manufacturers have a ton of N routers, they want to sell them. Almost no one short of Starbucks and McDonalds and places like that uses a/b. I would say in a year and a half AT MOST, g/n will be relegated to the same low level as a/g.

N Router - $160 (this one, no one should pay over 60 bucks for one, no one should even buy one if at all possible) $160

AC Router $200 but as low as $169 for some $160 (Will run in N mode with no problems)

Buy and N router, spend $160, realize 6 months later the difference between N and AC, spend another $160-$200

minimum $320

By an AC router on first release. $200, run in N mode, wait for firmware updates and adapter driver updates.

$320 - $160 (minimum) =  $160 (Thats $160 down the drain)

Only trying to point out that buying an N router today only accomplishes two things.

Doing the manufacturers (China mostly) a favor

And throwing your hard earned money down the drain.

I bought the AC router, because that's how I am. I'm not going to change a built-in wireless adapter on a laptop. Most of my network is wired, and almost all of the traffic hits the Comcast pipe. No matter how fast the packets get to the router, they're gonna wind up waiting on Comcast. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Just a curiosity question, as I'm happy with my gigabit (ethernet connection) N and most likely will keep using it until it burns up or they invent some new use of the internet that is even more data-intensive. :)

Is there something about the AC tech which would result in "naturally better" wifi range?

Is there something about the AC tech which would make it less likely to conflict with other RF sources, for instance in the case of Old Dad, who has a lot more RF signals in his house than I do?

Edited by Lester Weevils

Just a curiosity question, as I'm happy with my gigabit (ethernet connection) N and most likely will keep using it until it burns up or they invent some new use of the internet that is even more data-intensive. :)

Is there something about the AC tech which would result in "naturally better" wifi range?

Is there something about the AC tech which would make it less likely to conflict with other RF sources, for instance in the case of Old Dad, who has a lot more RF signals in his house than I do?

AC is fully in the 5ghz spectrum where as N could utilize either 2.4ghz or 5ghz. The beam-forming included in the AC spec helps with speed especially for devises at the outskirts of the router's range but it doesn't actually improve the range from standard 5ghz N IRL. The 5ghz often actually reduces the range slightly but gains bandwidth due to utilizing a less cluttered section of the airwaves.

Edited by 2.ooohhh
Guest TankerHC

Not a lot of time to reply because of family medical issues, however, there is, wider range, better firmware with lots more options. And though Mike does bring up two good points, A hardwired Network and a Wireless network are two different things entirely. WiFi router transmission rates are not measured from upstream and downstream speeds from the tap. Wireless router transmission rates are measured between the router and the computer. When you conect hardwired, that really is your best option, which is why you wont see most offices with a bunch of wireless routers. Either way, testing speeds through a Speed test server is only for reference, those are not true speeds, hardwired or wireless. When you get a broadband connection, the provider guarantees you nothing. When they say 30 Mbps, or 40 or 50, they mean up to, which can mean 30 = 35 or 30 = 5. On a wired Network when the downstream or upstream slows, your trnasmission rate slows. On a Wireless router that has nothing to do with it whether you have 5 Mbps or 1000. The change in transmission rates between router and devices is based on signal and adjusted through dynamic rate scaling which is built into the router. The dynamic rate scaling adjust the signal as signal strength changes. I think the best way is just to show a demonstration of the difference between wired, 802.11 N and 802.11AC, Ill be making a quick video in a couple of days and you can decide for yourself.

Edited by TankerHC

And, I'm saying the difference between N and AC probably doesn't matter when all your traffic is running through an 8MB pipe to the internet as well. Packets are packets. I'll read up on AC one of these days when I get closer to actually using it.