Looking for sub-compact recommendations

Guest copperhead_1911

The boss ( aka wife) really likes the beretta px4 storm 9mm sub compact. It does not have too much snap for her and the mags fit the fullsize px4 storm.

I forget the model but its a sig that looks like a little 1911 and shoots 9mm. its not as compact but really good to shoot. 

I think the lc9 has way too much snap as well as the beretta nanno

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. I have spent the last few days stressing over the best solution, got to hate these first-world problems, and finally made up my mind. I was leaning heavily toward the P938, a beautiful gun IMHO, and did consider the KAHR as well as the Beretta, Ruger, Shield, and a couple of others. Since the majority of my range time has been with my Glocks I was concerned about the external safety, forgetting to turn it off, on the Sig P938. With the KAHR I read a lot of good things as well as some bad about the quality suffering lately especially with the PM9 which to my understanding is the lighter of the two with the MK9 being the other. I am sure a lot of that was very subjective but it made me think twice.

I am not really sure that either the Sig or KAHR models that I looked at were truly small enough that I would feel comfortable with them actually in my pocket all day so I would probably have ended up with them in an IWB holster. After reaching that conclusion I decided I could probably step up to something slightly larger, but not by much, and not lose anything in the concealment area. In doing so I would also be cutting the cost considerably.

This decision had me looking at the XDs, Shield, Kimber Solo and a couple of others. I have never owned a Kimber but have friends that swear by them. None have the Solo or any experience with that model and it seemed as though there were more negative posts concerning this particular model than positive reviews.

Long story short I ultimately purchased the XDs 45. I just like the feel and look of the XDs and the fact that it came with 2 magazines, magazine holder, and holster. I really couldn’t make up my mind whether to go 9 or 45 but decided at the range this gun was intended for if I couldn’t make the shot 1 time out of 6 with the 45 I probably couldn’t make it once out of 8 tries with the 9mm and if I did hit with the 45 the problem was probably solved. The XDs 9 and 45 also weigh the same fully loaded. If you look at the numbers on paper the XDs doesn’t appear to be much smaller than my Glock 23 but when you hold it in your hand or especially when you try to conceal it there is a huge difference. I have not yet shot it and I may very well hate it afterwards but don’t think that will be the case. I have ordered the Viridian C5L for it and need to figure out which holster to purchase (first). I spoke with someone at MultiFit Holsters today and they seem like a good company to work with in creating a customized holster. I have also heard that WhiteHat was another good company.

This is just my take on things and I am sure that all of the guns I looked at are great and each has its strengths and is bound to have a lemon or two out of the thousands that are sold. Thanks again for all the good comments.

Edited by martinjd
  • Like 1

Sig P938 is my gun of choice.  I also like the feel of my Ruger LC9 but hate the trigger pull on it.  One thing to consider the chances are you will

never have to use your carry gun so get something that you will carry because if you ever need it it will be there.

With modern hollowpoint ammo, you really don't gain anything by going with a .45 ACP. I got rid of my 27 because it was too snappy with defense loads. I have an LCP .380 and a G19, I carry one or the other, depending.

I love my little Sig p238, I can throw it in a pocket holster in my front pocket and forget its actually there. I'm trying to stay away from the p938 because I know that if I get to hold one in Rosewood grips, it will go home with me. Then I would have to eat Tuna and MREs for a month.

I love my little Sig p238, I can throw it in a pocket holster in my front pocket and forget its actually there. I'm trying to stay away from the p938 because I know that if I get to hold one in Rosewood grips, it will go home with me. Then I would have to eat Tuna and MREs for a month.

I held one at the Outpost Armory with the Rosewood handles but ended up buying the Equinox version. It was a difficult choice.

Nice grips for the P238 and P938 here.  :)

Edited by kieefer

What are the subcompact options if I wanted a metal gun, not a polymer frame thing?

This is my experience. I carried a Kel-Tec for a few years, and then found the Sig P238. Night and day. The Sig is actually a great gun to shoot and practice with where the Kel-Tec is a "get off me" gun and by no means a gun you would want to practice with at the range the same way you would a Sig. That said, they cost more than a Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec.

Back to the old saying that you get what you pay for. I have very little trigger time with the Kahr pistols, but from everything I've read, they are great guns. It all comes down to comfort, function and what you are willing to spend. I have no regrets at all going with the Sig. Kahr is most likely a great choice as well.

If I were looking for a new carry gun, I would try to find people to let me shoot theirs or rent different guns at the range. Just like a pair of shoes. Try it before you invest in something that just doesn't work for you. Another thing you can do if your interested is check out youtube videos for reviews. Hikoc45 has alot of great information on alot of different firearms to help determine what would be best for your needs.

What are the subcompact options if I wanted a metal gun, not a polymer frame thing?

There are many.  Fewer if you insist upon new guns, but still plenty.  Lets narrow it on down some!

Do you mean STEEL and HEAVY metal guns, or just "Metal" as defined by the periodic table?

Do you care what caliber at all?

Do revolvers count?

Are you open to used/old guns (like a makarov?)

Metal guns cost more.  Just like anything made of metal costs more than its plastic counterpart.   The only cheap metal guns are milsurp.  Got a max price in mind?

Do you have a max size (long, high, and wide) in mind?  Do you want a POCKET pistol?

Are you trying to avoid DAO pistols (most of the small guns are DAO) ?   If so, your choices are very limited, and if you also do not care for a used pistol (old guns) your choices are even less.

Edited by Jonnin

I've found my EMP 40 to be a good choice for carry.  The EMP 9 would be a consideration if weight is a large factor.

I love my EMP 40 good choice , I'm working on finding me the EMP 9mm to add to it .

There are many.  Fewer if you insist upon new guns, but still plenty.  Lets narrow it on down some!

Do you mean STEEL and HEAVY metal guns, or just "Metal" as defined by the periodic table?

Do you care what caliber at all?

Do revolvers count?

Are you open to used/old guns (like a makarov?)

Metal guns cost more.  Just like anything made of metal costs more than its plastic counterpart.   The only cheap metal guns are milsurp.  Got a max price in mind?

Do you have a max size (long, high, and wide) in mind?  Do you want a POCKET pistol?

Are you trying to avoid DAO pistols (most of the small guns are DAO) ?   If so, your choices are very limited, and if you also do not care for a used pistol (old guns) your choices are even less.

Pocket pistol but not opposed to something I'd have to IWB
9mm preferred, 380 if need be. Not familiar with surplus rounds, would need more info on availability and cost.
Not looking for a revolver
Going with used for sure
Looking around $300 mark but max of $400. Less I spend on the gun, more I can spend on ammo, obviously. (did someone seriously recommend an H&K P7? :stunned: )
Open to DAO

For $300 and metal, probably limited to a Bersa unless you get really lucky on a S&W. The cheapest S&W single stack I have seen in the last few years was $425. AMT Backup is in that price range. Edited by Patton

Well take a look at a makarov then. 

- all steel

- cheap! (possibly under 300?)

- legendary accuracy and reliability and durability

- can be found in 380 if you prefer, but less commonly

- 9x18 is virtually same as 380 & costs about the same as 9mm, or less when supply is good (so its much cheaper than 380 usually and plenty of self defense rounds available including hornady and buffalo bore and more)

- DA/SA trigger is decent typical military / berettaish feel

- there is a double stack model but mags are expensive & rare.  The regular single stack mags fit with rattle.

- heel mounted mag release (ambidex but takes getting used to).