Great War Movies

kieefer

Metropolis is next on the list. Its on one of the Roku Channels for free. Now I am on the search for other Silent War movies. 

Find "Birth of a Nation"  It is a civil war flick.  Pretty racist by today's standards. Black people portrayed by white men in black face and all that stuff.  But the battle scenes were supposedly very realistic due the the fact that people were still alive who had actually witnessed civil war battles.

Guest TankerHC

Find "Birth of a Nation"  It is a civil war flick.  Pretty racist by today's standards. Black people portrayed by white men in black face and all that stuff.  But the battle scenes were supposedly very realistic due the the fact that people were still alive who had actually witnessed civil war battles.

Seen it. Believe it or not it was one of our "tuesday educational movies" in Elementary School. Have watched it several times since. 

And, plenty of these around. One with the Confederate Vets at the Sonte Wall at Gettysburg, in thier 80's and 90's giving the Rebel Yell.

http://youtu.be/GeLGasX8FHk

Confederate Vets giving the Rebel Yell.

http://youtu.be/s6jSqt39vFM

Edited by TankerHC
Guest Bassman17SC

We Were Soldiers

Saving Private Ryan

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Great Escape

Patton

Hamburger Hill
The Longest Day

Gettysburg

Edited by Bassman17SC
  • 1 month later...
Guest TankerHC

Back to life!

Slightly off topic, but war related.

In Books a Million tonight and as I walked in I see a book that reminded me of one of my favorite Robert Duvall movies. The Book was "The Death of Santini" and I said to the wife "I wonder if thats related to a movie I like", picked it up, and yes.

Its "The Great Santini".

If you havent seen it, its worth watching. Especially the ending. Robert Duvall plays a tough guy Colonel and tries to raise his son as a tough guy but his son isn't a tough guy. In the end, Robert Duvalls character shows that he really is a brave man, and his decision is interesting.

I'll watch any war movie that comes on and probably have already seen it over & over anyway.

I particularly like Saving Private Ryan because the cinematography and special effects were like nothing used before. It really made the viewer part of the action.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TankerHC
Forgot about Charlie Wilson's war. Great movie IMHO. Not a fan of Julia Roberts acting but thought she was pretty convincing in that movie.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Ever see the documentaries on History about the Air Force rescue units in Vietnam? Talk about some brave men. Or crazy. Or both. They had video on there of those guys rappeling down to pilots, while they were under fire. They dropped, and they were under such intense fire that thier own helicopters had to leave and sometimes couldnt come back for hours. Then when they were able to come back and get them, they low roped them up and flew them across the treetops hanging out the helicopter, getting shot at. Thats pretty damn brave if you ask me, and those guys had to do it near daily for helicopter pilots and crews and their fighters and bomber pilots.

My dad flew the same type of helicopter (The one shot down in the rice patty) shown in Bat 21 in Vietnam in 69/70. He flew out of Danang with the Jolly Green Giants and they had the same mascot as the food company. He always said the PJs (the guys that went down the wire) were the most amazing men he had even known. He also had pictures of the helicopter that he was the copilot in on one mission that was shot all to hell. He said the enemy would wait until they dropped the pj out the door on the wire before they would open up on them. All they could do was have the door gunner open up on the position while the pj was pulled back up. Until then, they had to just hover and pray.

It is also my understanding that downed pilots were given high priority like Gene Hackman in the movie simply based of the amount of training that is needed to prepare a new pilot. Basically, they were considered a commodity that could not be quickly replaced. My father also told me that jolly crews were given higher priority. Basically if they went down, the downed fighter pilot would have to wait until they were rescued before they were sent in to get him. Again, this was simply a supply and demand factor. There were only 9 to 10 jolly crews stationed in Danang at the time.

Sorry to steal the thread there for a minute, but my dad was an amazing man and this hit close to home.

Back on thread. I have seen almost all of the movies on this thread and have liked most of them. I was also glad someone else had seen Stalag 17 (notice my avatar). It is one of my favorite movies. Two that weren't mentioned that are some oldies but goodies are Operation Petticoat (a little silly) and Mr. Roberts (again, a little silly)
The Sands of Iwo Jima is one that I can watch over & over. I never could figure out why they didn't protect Sgt. Stryker better because you know that once the Japanese figured out he was actually John Wayne they'd try to take him out....

I also enjoyed the HBO mini series The Pacific.

Hey, jwinter, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little silly. Humor is good for the body and soul.

Mr. Roberts and Operation Petticoat remain on my all time watchable list. Seeing Henry Fonda and Jack Lemon battle with the great Jimmy Cagney; along with a large number of other very good actors is a real movie fest. And whats not to like about Operation Petticoat?

• Like 1
Wow. Hadn't thought about that one in years. I'll have to find and watch it again.

Don Knotts did some really good movies, sometimes a little on the hokey side; but enjoyable. And as an added bonus...everyone could watch them. Didn't need to screen the audience.

Hey, jwinter, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a little silly. Humor is good for the body and soul.

Mr. Roberts and Operation Petticoat remain on my all time watchable list. Seeing Henry Fonda and Jack Lemon battle with the great Jimmy Cagney; along with a large number of other very good actors is a real movie fest. And whats not to like about Operation Petticoat?

The sequel to Mr. Roberts was Ensign Pulver. Very funny movie that a lot of people haven't seen.
Guest TankerHC

"Flying Leathernecks" with John Wayne and "The Bridges of Toko Ri" with William Holden. All Quiet on the Western Front wasn't too bad....

Been to Toko-Ri, out back gate of Camp Casey, almost until the day I left had no idea Casey was named after a Pilot shot down during the Battle. In the movie they use jets, there were no jets at that battle, Sky Raiders and Corsairs, Casey was in an observation plane calling in Artillery, shot down and crashed into Soyu mountain behind Camp Casey. Aircraft were from the USS Essex.

Edited by TankerHC
[quote name="TankerHC" post="1067407" timestamp="1385094700"] Been to Toko-Ri, out back gate of Camp Casey, almost until the day I left had no idea Casey was named after a Pilot shot down during the Battle. In the movie they use jets, there were no jets at that battle, Sky Raiders and Corsairs, Casey was in an observation plane calling in Artillery, shot down and crashed into Soyu mountain behind Camp Casey.[/quote] Thanks for sharing that! I knew it was Corsairs (my absolute favorite) but I didn't know about the Sky Raiders. We use to live near Pensacola, FL, and we would go to the Naval Air Museum and spend the day walking around. On one of the tours the guide told us that the Sky Raider has the same bomb load capacity as the old B-17. Pretty impressive. Edited by CQB Elite
  • 6 months later...

In honor of this weekend and the pending 70th anniversary of D-Day, my 8 year old son wants to watch war movies.  We are now watching Saving Private Ryan.  This is his 1st time watching!  This movie never gets old and is just a great movie.    A BIG thank you to the greatest generation that has ever lived! :usa:

I can't recall all that is in t his thread and I ain't re-reading it.

Watched an old movie last night on Netflix.  I do remember seeing it from the back seat of a 61 Impala back in the day at the drive in.

It is titled "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison".  Starred Robert Mitchum.  The story is basically a Marine in WW2 whose transport was torpedoed.  He drifted in a raft until washing up on an island only inhabited by a Nun.  the island became occupied by Jap's.  The story is about their survival and his actions towards the end when the US invaded.  A true classic.

• 7 months later...