popped my cherry in USPSA today

Shot my first USPSA match today. After shooting IDPA for a year and a half, it was different to say the least. Dump partial mags everywhere, shoot out in the open, store mags all the way to the small of my back, no concealment. Had a blast, though. I'm not sure how I did, and probably still won't know when the scores are posted, because I was shooting with a bunch of open class guns w/ compensators and optics who shot several stages with one mag when I was reloading twice (I shot Production Minor with a G34).

It wasn't as hard as I have been told it would be. The biggest difference between IDPA and USPSA is that in USPSA, the shooter figures out what order to shoot the targets, and thus, where to reload (if necessary). This adds an extra mental dimension to what IDPA shooters are used to, but having several minutes to study the stage and "airgun" it made it less of a challenge than I expected. Also, speed seems to be a little more important and accuracy a little less important than in IDPA. This fits my game well--I tend to get in a big hurry and get a little wild sometimes. I'm always trying to slow down and gain accuracy, and USPSA would probably hinder that a little (if I kept shooting it). It's just too tempting to haul ass. I doubt I will become a USPSA member/shooter any time soon, but I definitely plan to go back again. Highly recommended!

:D

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed it.You see a lot of the run and gun stages now days.The classifer stages however are still tough.I would recommend you join USPSA and get classified.The Front Sight magazine alone is worth the mmbership price.It has tips and articles you will not find anywhere else.You will find shooting Minor that accuracy is more important than you think.Review your scores when they come out.C and D hits are scored less and a miss is penalized greatly.To truly excell (A class or above) in Production you will need to shoot mostly As. Jeff Cooper,Ray Chapman and others helped lay the foundations of the sport of Practical Shooting and IPSC/USPSA is the result.Have fun.

Guest jcramin
Congratulations! I personally would like to watch some of these matches, and I am really interested in 3 gun. Good luck on the scores.

3-GUN is scheduled at Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc. for Aug 31 and Nov 30

Guest jcramin

I am actually a member of both IDPA and USPSA. I have not actually shot a match YET. I have been watching and getting all my gear together. I need to find some sort of mag holder that will hold 1911 mags that is easy to access.

• Administrator

If you walked away with the impression that speed is more important than accuracy, I'm not sure what you saw or participated in. Both are equally important as is often expressed in the statement that "you can't miss fast enough to win".

Guest gsbell
I have been watching and getting all my gear together. I need to find some sort of mag holder that will hold 1911 mags that is easy to access.

You don't have to spend a ton on these at the low end Fobus or Uncle Mikes, at the higher end Blade Tech or Comp-Tac

Guest SUNTZU
3-GUN is scheduled at Memphis Sport Shooting Assoc. for Aug 31 and Nov 30

Thanks for the info, but I live in Knoxville, there's got to be something closer...I hope. :popcorn:

If you walked away with the impression that speed is more important than accuracy, I'm not sure what you saw or participated in. Both are equally important as is often expressed in the statement that "you can't miss fast enough to win".

He participated in an USPSA match. The same one I shot. Speed IS more important than accuracy in USPSA as compared to IDPA. Shoot some IDPA, and you'll understand. They penalize marginal accruacy more heavily in IDPA. If you shoot IPSC fast enough, you can keep your hit-factor up without drilling all the Alphas, and you also have that larger larger A-zone to work with.

To be fair, this match had a lot of close-and-fast stages that encouraged some serious hosing. If we'd had a 25-yard standards stage, Tad might've walked away with a different impression. :D

Here's some video from the match:

(Deerslayer is the Glock shooter in the white t-shirt, I'm the one in the blue shirt, with the nickel-finished Glock.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic
Robbie, if I have my Glock 19 and we are shooting at targets 12 feet away, I bet I can give you a run for your money...

I'm not sure I could even hit a target 12 feet away. :lies:

I was planning on shooting against you on Friday, Robbie, but noooooo... You had to go and get your match bumped for a Ladies shoot last week.

We knew you were coming. We did it just to mess with you. :rofl: