Tell me about Dan Wesson 1911's? Good? Bad? Ugly?

Jasongar8

Hey guys I played with a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail 1911 the other day in 10mm and I really fell in love with it. I dont know much about Dan Wesson's guns at all besides they were bought out by CZ USA. So what do you guys think about them? Anyone had much experience with them? Anyone ever owned/shot the 10mm Bobtail? Thanks,

-Jason G

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gsbell

I've got a 5" .45 from before CZ acquired them and Bob Servas left, they were an absolute bargain. The prices have risen a fair amount since then, no idea what the current quality is.

I've had the pleasure of shooting several 10mm's, and the best had to be the Fusion Custom (formed by Bob Serva, formally with Dan Wesson). Of course, the Fusion is quite a bit more expensive.

A very close second would have to be the Colt Delta Elite. IMHO, it was much nicer than the Dan Wesson's I've shot. Not that the DW's were bad, but they didn't stand a chance against the CDE. The Kimber Eclipse Custom II wasn't bad either.

The Colt, Kimber, and Dan Wesson can all be had for roughly the same amount of money, so it's going to be a matter of personal preference to your liking. If you really like the DW, I'd say go for it. But I wouldn;t count out other options in the same ballpark.

• 1 month later...

I have a Bobtail and I love it. It shoots as good if not better than it looks. Great accuracy and very well balanced. I've put 1200-1300 down the pipe. In the first 300rds I had a couple hiccups, but after that shes performed well. I give DW :wave::up:.... Magic Man bought one a couple months back I'm sure he'll share some info soon.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Hmm, this thread has got me thinking some more about what my first 1911 will be. Previously, I'd thought about either a stainless PT1911 or a Springer Champion, but the Dan Wesson bobtail looks to be comparable in price to the Springer, and I think I'd like the bobtail, since this would be a carry gun.

Of course, it's all a moot point until I get the cash set aside...

From what I understand, some of the parts on the Taurus PT1911s are their own designs, and not necessarily interchangeable with some aftermarket 1911 parts. Not a big deal if you like them the way they are, but if you will want to trick out your gun, it's something to think about.

Guest EasilyObsessed
I think I'd like the bobtail, since this would be a carry gun.

The steel framed 1911's can be a bit on the heavy side. Compare the weight to a tupperware gun or a alloy framed 1911 before you make the decision.

For the OP... My Father has a pointman seven that is a fantastic gun! For the money it is fantastic buy. Ill probably sell my Series 1 Kimber and replace it with a Dan Wesson when I have some extra cash laying around. :D

I have a Bobtail and I love it. It shoots as good if not better than it looks. Great accuracy and very well balanced. I've put 1200-1300 down the pipe. In the first 300rds I had a couple hiccups, but after that shes performed well. I give DW :D:up:.... Magic Man bought one a couple months back I'm sure he'll share some info soon.

How did I miss this thread? Yeah Dan Wesson's (least the one I have) are amazing. You can limp wrist the heck out of it (not that you would want to) and it will still fire perfectly. The guns insanely more accurate then I am. When I get done with my Class III I plan on getting another Dan Wesson CBob but in 10mm to compliment the awesome .45 I purchased from JWP/Coal Creek.

Dano showed me a 10mm Dan Wesson Bobtail today at Hero Gear and had me

jones-ing all the 100 mile ride home. It was very clean and uncluttered with no writing on the slide. The fit and finished rivaled many of the more expensive 1911 they had at the shop and they have the biggest selection I have ever seen. I will be in the back yard digging up coffee cans.

Guest tadams

I got my .45 C-Bob from Hero Gear and am smiling every time I shoot it. Unfortunately, that's only been three occasions, thusfar. I'm still getting used to the gun. But, it is built like a swiss watch; tight, no "extras" in any places where there shouldn't be, and it's very well balanced in the hand.

I've, since, added a couple Cobra mags to my field bag and they really complete the feel of the gun with a very exact seat and crisp 8rd catch when inserting the mag. After giving DW a call I pretty much confirmed that McCormick is where the magazine design came from, in the models that are currently hitting shelves. I'll keep using the factory mags, but want to change out the baseplates to a more traditional metal, similar to the welded plate mags.