Xbox Gold members.

Tncobra

I think Microsoft realized they messed up when the majority of gamers exploded the internet with their complaints, that and when the PS4 day 1 preorders sold out in a day or so and Xbox One day 1 version was available for at least a month; it's all about the $$$.  Let's be honest, Sony is spotless either.  They just listened to the gamers this time.

They are trying to push it as an entertainment console, and they turned a blind eye to a large portion of the gaming community.  The ignorant comments from Microsoft, like the one from Don Mattrick that "fortunately we have a product for people who aren’t able to get some form of connectivity, it’s called Xbox 360" was the last straw for me.  The downloadable / installing the games locally could have been great, but instead of "hey we understand, if you don't have internet, you have to have the game disc in the console", they decided to give every person in the military and no internet zones the middle finger.

+1, YES!!!

And what of soldiers on deployment, "get @#$%ED"?

No, like i was saying.. MS should offer the normal services and features to those who cannot take advantage of what MS can offer with a always online connection.     But for those of us who are ready and willing, we should still be allowed to use what MS was offering to start with. Those of us who want the always online services should get special benefits though, cause we aren't complaining like all the other gamers.    MS needs a win win for each side.  right now the offline folks got what they wanted and the rest of us got the shaft.

No, like i was saying.. MS should offer the normal services and features to those who cannot take advantage of what MS can offer with a always online connection.     But for those of us who are ready and willing, we should still be allowed to use what MS was offering to start with. Those of us who want the always online services should get special benefits though, cause we aren't complaining like all the other gamers.    MS needs a win win for each side.  right now the offline folks got what they wanted and the rest of us got the shaft.

I still don't understand why those who would opt-in for the online check in stuff should get a special discount?  "Hey!  We got what we want, but we want it cheaper than those who also got what they want!" :cry:

I think the idea of being able to please both sides would have been great.  You can do your stuff, I can still buy used games off of craigslist, and those who love gaming and don't have internet can still game locally.  Win / win.  But Microsoft decided not to do that.  It seems to me though, the friends-and-family share feature is the only real loss.  You can still download digital copies of games, just like you do now on the 360.  I mean seriously, what did you lose besides that?

I still don't understand why those who would opt-in for the online check in stuff should get a special discount?  "Hey!  We got what we want, but we want it cheaper than those who also got what they want!" :cry:

I think the idea of being able to please both sides would have been great.  You can do your stuff, I can still buy used games off of craigslist, and those who love gaming and don't have internet can still game locally.  Win / win.  But Microsoft decided not to do that.  It seems to me though, the friends-and-family share feature is the only real loss.  You can still download digital copies of games, just like you do now on the 360.  I mean seriously, what did you lose besides that?

well if you've seen the Forza 5 thing at E3, they have this drivatar feature that constantly observes the actions you tend to make while driving. It records them and continually uploads them and thus creates an artificial intelligence. By forcing the console to connect repeatedly, this means that every single person playing Forza 5 will have their drivatars out there in other people's games, and that you will constantly be playing against people who are getting better by playing more.

That's just one of example of how it could potentially affect a game!

Keeping always connected(and maybe even always on) could mean extremely quick entry into a game, allowing you to stay signed in and having a game ready to load up almost immediately upon switching to it. So, you just flick on the TV, turn to your game input, and you're playing.

I would love to hop on COD and not have to load the game and connect to the server. devs could make features to have the game instantly ready to play online when you push your xbox controller button. and with all digital games and the xbox ones 3 OS 's it could be loaded instantly. 

Right now if you go pop in a game you havent played in 2 months in the 360, you must wait for the 360 to boot, then you must wait to sign into XBL, then when you play the game im sure youll get a mandatory update which signs you out of xbl, blah blah blah.. all that can be gone though if done right.

• Like 1

well if you've seen the Forza 5 thing at E3, they have this drivatar feature that constantly observes the actions you tend to make while driving. It records them and continually uploads them and thus creates an artificial intelligence. By forcing the console to connect repeatedly, this means that every single person playing Forza 5 will have their drivatars out there in other people's games, and that you will constantly be playing against people who are getting better by playing more.

That's just one of example of how it could potentially affect a game!

Keeping always connected(and maybe even always on) could mean extremely quick entry into a game, allowing you to stay signed in and having a game ready to load up almost immediately upon switching to it. So, you just flick on the TV, turn to your game input, and you're playing.

I would love to hop on COD and not have to load the game and connect to the server. devs could make features to have the game instantly ready to play online when you push your xbox controller button. and with all digital games and the xbox ones 3 OS 's it could be loaded instantly. 

Right now if you go pop in a game you havent played in 2 months in the 360, you must wait for the 360 to boot, then you must wait to sign into XBL, then when you play the game im sure youll get a mandatory update which signs you out of xbl, blah blah blah.. all that can be gone though if done right.

They didn't get rid of drivatars, and that is a neat feature. I don't have anything for your load time issues, I can spare the time it takes; if I'm gaming, then I'm gaming for a while.

I have been PC gaming for a couple of decades now, with the game installed. The load time is still horrendous, you still have to connect to a server, etc...

I don't see how the XBOX One would suddenly revolutionize that and make everything instant, regardless of what they 'claim.'

As it sits, my XBOX 360 always has me logged in, that adds maybe three seconds to my boot time. I don't see that as a down side. So if I insert a game and go that route, instead of going through the home page, I might save fifteen seconds. Even with the games I have installed on the HDD it is still a ~one minute or longer boottime, comparable to games read off the disk.

Cartridges with their extremely limited space are the only media I can recall in my three decades plus of gaming that have a shorter boot/load time.

Though to be honest,  I don't really have a horse in this race, as I have mentioned in another thread regarding this topic, I will wait until the public has decided a victor (~two years) before I pick my next console, as I did last generation. I guess that is one benefit of being old, I don't have a yearning desire to have the latest and greatest the day it comes out.

Edited by Murgatroy

I have been PC gaming for a couple of decades now, with the game installed. The load time is still horrendous, you still have to connect to a server, etc...

I don't see how the XBOX One would suddenly revolutionize that and make everything instant, regardless of what they 'claim.'

As it sits, my XBOX 360 always has me logged in, that adds maybe three seconds to my boot time. I don't see that as a down side. So if I insert a game and go that route, instead of going through the home page, I might save fifteen seconds. Even with the games I have installed on the HDD it is still a ~one minute or longer boottime, comparable to games read off the disk.

Cartridges with their extremely limited space are the only media I can recall in my three decades plus of gaming that have a shorter boot/load time.

Though to be honest,  I don't really have a horse in this race, as I have mentioned in another thread regarding this topic, I will wait until the public has decided a victor (~two years) before I pick my next console, as I did last generation. I guess that is one benefit of being old, I don't have a yearning desire to have the latest and greatest the day it comes out.

Heck, I'm thinking about selling my preorder on eBay, last time this happened the preorders sold for just as much as the consoles and all it did was gurantee you'd have one on launch day.

That's actually why I bought a used 250 model, lol. I now have about 8 games downloaded, 5 of which were free. Thanks again Micro****, heh heh. :dirty:

If you can get hold of the right off-the-shelf drives, you can flash the firmware and use them in the X-Box. I got lucky and happened to have a correct drive just lying around (WD Blue)

They didn't get rid of drivatars, and that is a neat feature. I don't have anything for your load time issues, I can spare the time it takes; if I'm gaming, then I'm gaming for a while.

The update thing annoys the crap out of me. But there's no reason such updates couldn't be done in the background *if* there is an internet connection available already.

Because when you turn the 360 off even the internet is off. I think the new xbox one could stay connected using low standby power to stay online and do background work.

Ms also said the xbox one can read its own temp and turn on a fan to cool its self down so it wont overheat like the white 360's.

Even if it's terrible I can only think, "well, it was free...".

Recently bought the humble bundle deal EA has going on right now for pc games. I think the same thing when I saw Medal of Honor was included. I consider it the free fluff to the bundle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

If you only buy the top of the line games, you wont have but a hand full every 8 years.

GTA5  will be the 2nd game i bought in the last 4 years.  

Not really dude, just with the COD series you'd have 8 titles on current gen; Battlefield has about five titles on this generation too; Halo has about 4 this go around as well, those are all "top of the line" just within the shooter genre, let alone action/adventure, racing, survival horror, fighting, etc..

Tomb Raider and GTA: V are the only two games I have bought new this year.

I have purchased several used.

I don't think I bought any new games last year.

Skyrim was the only new game I bought the year before that.

I buy nearly all of my games on the secondary market, first so I can wait for the reviews to come out that aren't biased or based on selling subscriptions, and secondly, I haven't played more than a handful of games in the last decade that I feel are worth $60.

Tomb Raider was a great game, but I beat it in four sittings. That was not worth my $60 IMO. I suppose that games such as Skyrim, the GTA Series and many of the FPS games that provide 100+ hours through story and online mode, I have gotten spoiled. But that is how I see it. If I am not going to get a minimum of 100 hours out of it, I don't think it is worth $60.

I am also a major cheapskate.

I will edit to add more thoughts, rather than make three posts in a row.

Gaming isn't aimed at the nerd in the basement spending all of his after school time and his McPaycheck on games. The consoles now are aimed at families. I have a wife and a daughter who also use my 55" Sony Bravia. So if they can create a device that brings the entire family into the fold, that equals more profits. Now I have to buy games and apps for myself, my wife and my daughter. We have a device that the whole family can and will use. It is now aimed at anyone including the entire family to use their disposable income on. Netflix via the Xbox (and now a Roku type box) have become luxuries that my family would sorely miss.

This is a big part of what the market is about now, not just creating $60 game titles. Subscription Services will be a huge part going forward, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, all in addition to Xbox Gold... 

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 1

Not really dude, just with the COD series you'd have 8 titles on current gen; Battlefield has about five titles on this generation too; Halo has about 4 this go around as well, those are all "top of the line" just within the shooter genre, let alone action/adventure, racing, survival horror, fighting, etc..

Not everyone is into FPS games. To be honest less than 10% of my collection are FPS. I have Homefront and several CoD titles, but I rarely play them after I beat the story and get trounced in online for a few weekends.

Action/Adventure and Survival Horror make up the bulk of my collection. 

I have one racing title, one fighting title, no sports titles, no turn based RPGs...

Tomb Raider and GTA: V are the only two games I have bought new this year.

I have purchased several used.

I don't think I bought any new games last year.

Skyrim was the only new game I bought the year before that.

I buy nearly all of my games on the secondary market, first so I can wait for the reviews to come out that aren't biased or based on selling subscriptions, and secondly, I haven't played more than a handful of games in the last decade that I feel are worth $60.

Tomb Raider was a great game, but I beat it in four sittings. That was not worth my $60 IMO. I suppose that games such as Skyrim, the GTA Series and many of the FPS games that provide 100+ hours through story and online mode, I have gotten spoiled. But that is how I see it. If I am not going to get a minimum of 100 hours out of it, I don't think it is worth $60.

I am also a major cheapskate.

Yeah, I only get games new that I know I'll get my money worth out of. metacritic is your friend in this, I was going to buy Dishonored new until I used MC to only find out that it is STUPID short, albeit fun as hell but short. Instead I got Assassins Creed 3, I believe THAT was worth $60 as there was quite a bit of content. Skyrim? Mother of god, $60 was a bargain for the usage I got in it; I also feel the same way about Call of Duty and Battlefield(though I too picked them up used as I too am a cheap @$$), with the online play, that makes the high purchase cost worth it in my opinion BUT I only buy new if it's something I REALLY wanna play. Red Dead Redemption was one of those games. I got