What do you think? Islamic beliefs entering public school.

Guest Skyline034

Just keep in mind that there are 22 Major religions in the world  that could need some sort of accommodation. :

I don't think schools need to "accommodate" for any religion.  If kids wish to practice their religion, such as prayer and such, they should be able to do so without the school providing anything for them.  That would be where I draw the line.  I hate that ACLU types will argue that by not providing something then you are infringing on rights.  Rights are not tangible, you just have them by default.  You don't need anyone to provide you with anything to exercise your rights; you just do.

• Like 1

I have said for a long time that a person does not need a church, or any other physical place, to practice religion. They don't need to physically have anything other than themselves.

And as TMF said the schools should not provide anything for them to practice because if you give it to one then you have to give it to any others. And this will become a burden on the school, the teachers and administrators. And the first time one religion thinks they are not receiving the same treatment as another they will sue, costing the taxpayers money. I think it is better to give it to none than to give it to all.

...There is a lot wrong with the public education system, but this is just silly.  A kid can't choose who their parents are, scumbags or otherwise.  So why would we depend on a meth addict to educate their child?...

It is not the government's responsibility to educate children.  It also isn't my responsibility to educate anyone's children but my own. Educating children should fall first on the parents, then the family at large and/or the private sector (which would likely do a better job than government-run schools).

In fact in today's world, once a child learns how to do basic math, read and write English, and couple of other basic skills there is practically nothing they can learn at a school (private sector or government-run) that they can't learn from their own computer in their own home (or a library; I think we still have them) and there are ways to give children those basic skills that don not require a trillion$ government industry to do it and without forcing kids to stay in school until they are 16.

I'm sorry for children who are born to thug, dead-beat, drugged-out parents...that's sad...it really is...but it's not the government's responsibility to educate those children nor is it mine. I would ask, however, how likely is it that those children are actually being helped in today's system; even the best schools in that system? I would suggest the answer would be either litter or even not at all.

Schools exist to produce a produce, an educated person. For the most part, even the product they claim as successes are defective; they may know how to feel good about themselves and how to get along with weirdos and how to be sensitive but ask them to make correct change at a fast-food counter without the cash register telling them how much to give back (assuming of course they even bother to get a job). There is a word for continuing to spend money (a LOT of money) on production systems (schools) that keep producing lower and lower quality products...that word is STUPID.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest dieselshadow

I'm sorry for children who are born to thug, dead-beat, drugged-out parents...that's sad...it really is...but it's not the government's responsibility to educate those children nor is it mine. I would ask, however, how likely is it that those children are actually being helped in today's system; even the best schools in that system? I would suggest the answer would be either litter or even not at all.

And people wonder why our society is slowly crumbling around us... Edited by dieselshadow
  • 1 month later...
Allow all or none,this red carpet crap for the insurgents should be rolled up and put away. Kids can learn about religion in a class w books. I'm all about education but putting a single religion over others in a public school has as much value as a red ass monkey. The red ass monkey is the center of trouble after its .comedy value diminishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
Guest Bassman17SC

I think that's an argument we don't want to make. There are more than just the Ten Commandments. There's many, many more as I'm sure you know. If we go down that list, and acknowledge the punishment for some of those offenses, it makes the examples you have above look pretty mild. I'm on no way endorsing Islam, but you need to understand many of the same arguments we make about the Quran being full of stories about bloodthirsty savages can be made about the Old Testament. It's a losing argument. How about we just focus on equal freedoms of religious expression for everyone, regardless of what some sheep rapers on the other side of the planet are doing in the name of theirs?

Seems to me what is good for one, is good for all.  Kinda sounds like the concept of the Golden Rule, hmm?

Guest The Itis

This works to show that tolerance and coexistence is a pipe dream.

When you have competing worldviews that necessarily must eliminate the others, there is no sharing space.

Any person who claims to be religious but tolerant of other religions is not a very good religious person.

Cherry pickin pussy-footin religious moderates get no points with whichever god they believe in.

This works to show that tolerance and coexistence is a pipe dream.

When you have competing worldviews that necessarily must eliminate the others, there is no sharing space.

Any person who claims to be religious but tolerant of other religions is not a very good religious person.

Cherry pickin pussy-footin religious moderates get no points with whichever god they believe in.

Do wha? Says who? Folks with different religious beliefs have coexisted all throughout history; we just tend to focus on the times and places where they fought each other, and those wars are normally fought over ambition, not religion. Last time I checked, Jesus wasnt advocating any violence towards Romans or the Jews, and they nailed him to wood as he died a slow, torturous death. What on earth makes you think his intention was for his followers to be intolerant of others and fight/kill them?
  • Like 1

I was not going to post into this but I will say this much. Public schools are there to teach our children the basic curriculum of education such as reading, writing, Arithmetic, World History, American History and other such courses to prepare them for being able to get a good job in their future. I don't think any religion should be taught in a public school period be be it Christianity, Buddhism, Islamic, Jewish or any other religion. If a parent wants their children to learn religion they can teach it to them or they can attend the Church of their choice. I really don't know exactly at what point that schools began having religious courses included in a curriculum but it is totally wrong. It is nothing more than a brain washing program that is corrupting our children and their futures. As far as the Muslim/Islamic religion courses being taught, they are brain washing our children to become terrorists as seen this past weekend when it was said that three Americans were part of that terrorist group that attacked that mall. My opinion is school is for teaching courses listed above and Church is for teaching religion. I think if I am not mistaken Church and State are to be separate. So separate them......jmho

Guest The Itis

Hard to avoid talking about cultures in world history or geography and such without touching on religion.

Maybe if they actually taught kids about the many religions of the world, we wouldn't have so many ignorant ethnocentric little twits plastering their cars with garbage like:

1003517_795828676283_1242366754_n.jpg

If this car belongs to one of you TNGO members, sorry but not really.

Edited by The Itis

Hard to avoid talking about cultures in world history or geography and such without touching on religion.

Maybe if they actually taught kids about the many religions of the world, we wouldn't have so many ignorant ethnocentric little twits plastering their cars with garbage like:

If this car belongs to one of you TNGO members, sorry but not really.

Are all 2.8 billion Christians in the world today "ethnocentric little twits" because they believe that Christ is the only way to avoid Hell or is that insult reserved only for those who believe it and post bumper stickers about it?

• Like 1
Ethnocentric: characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior.

If you think you're superior to anyone just because you were born in an area where Christianity is the majority, then yes I think twit fits nicely. But the same would go for any religious or atheistic view.

Now if you're a Christian like the majority of Christians I know, and know it is not their place to judge who is superior; then no, twit doesn't work.

Post all the stickers you want, all laugh at them just like I do the Gator fan stickers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I deal with a lot of teachers, mostly church circle folks.  

There are 5 things that come around again and again as problems that make the schools low quality and unable to educate...

1) no child left behind act.   Complete morons who cannot learn remain in the class, many with behavorial issues that distract the other kids. 

2) teachers have no authority to perform even mild punishments for disruptive, disobedient, or otherwise disfunctional kids.

3) the material has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator --- see problem #1

4) the material has been modified.  "New math" -- where the wrong answer is OK if you talk about how you feel about that.  Modern history, where apparently minorities and women ran the country from 1600 to 1980.   Logic, science, critical thinking, and such are GONE, replaced with rote memorization and psychobabble, PC agenda, and liberal indocrinization. 

5) modern parents, who simply do not discipline nor work with their kids nor do much of anything at all that could even remotely be called parenting.

this is all third party, from their comments filtered thru my memory.  But it sounds like if a teacher wants to keep her job, she does 1-4 and acts happy to be doing it.

• Like 1

1) no child left behind act. Complete morons who cannot learn remain in the class,

I've recently heard about school districts that have rules that students can't fail a test until high school or some other arbitrary grade, they retake the same exam until they pass. This is ridiculous.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

Guest The Itis

You're saying you have not? Figured as much.
As for me, I've read it more than any religious person I know. I may just not have had on the appropriate blinders on while reading.

You're saying you have not? Figured as much.
As for me, I've read it more than any religious person I know. I may just not have had on the appropriate blinders on while reading.

No, I'm saying I have. And I'm not sure what you're point is. So there's a lot of really bad stuff in the Old Testament. Did you stop reading there? Where in the New Testament does it require you kill your neighbor if he doesn't share your religious beliefs? Where is the message of intolerance you are saying Jesus Christ conveyed?

You really seem to have a high opinion of your religious views contrasted against a very low opinion of anyone who believes. The irony of you using the term "ethnocentric" while you display your intolerant and ignorant view of believers.