Open space in reloaded 308

Guest TNdad

Does anyone know if there needs to be open space in the case after the powder is added?  I started my first 308s yesterday and the Varget powder was right at the neck so when I set the 150 gr SSTs the bullet is touching the powder.  When I shake the cartridge I hear no shifting of the powder.  But when I shake some factory 308, I hear a small amount of shifting.  I made 8 sets of 5 different weights of Varget, from 43.4 gr to 44.8 gr changing .2 gr between the batches.  The Hornady book is a bit different than the Hodgon website with the weights in the Hornady book lighter than the Hodgon website. But I'm under the Hornady max load by .1 gr. The cases are Hornady Match cases.

Does anyone think that this is unsafe?

Thanks!

Depending on the powder selected and charge weight chosen to get to the velocity desired sometimes the powder is deemed a "compressed" loading

I prefer a little space but will go with a light compression sometimes depending on the loading but you shouldn't have to hear a crunching sound or use undue force to seat the projectile

some claim a slight compressed load has the potential to be more accurate as the powder won't shift in the case ie: closer or farther from the ignition source

I always work up to a load that is compressed as the pressures will vary from casing volume, chamber dimensions, neck tension etc. watching for pressure signs such as stiff bolt lift, flattened primers (both edge and firing pin dent setback) Sometimes that shows before you get to compressed sometimes not

my ammo for the competition semi autos is always shakeable as an extra check against a no powder squib as in the heat of competition you may try to clear and KaBoom before realizing it was a squib instead of a dud

John

Edited by LngRngShtr

On the Hodgden site do you see on the max loads it has a C beside the grains? That C means it is a compressed load. So as long as your OAL is good I would say it is normal. But I have never loaded 308 or used Varget. I am sure someone with hands on knowledge will come along, but I do know that C means compressed load.

But I'm under the Hornady max load by .1 gr. The cases are Hornady Match cases.

Does anyone think that this is unsafe?

Thanks!

IF your Manual is fairly recent I doubt you will create an "unsafe" condition if measurements are accurate. Referring back to some of my 30 yr old Manuals compared to most recent data there is often a 10% or so decrease in weight in the newer manuals.  You could work unsafe loads under certain circumstance based on the old data.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel

It may or may not be unsafe but remember that Varget is Hodgdon's product so wouldn't it make sense to use their min-max load data for a given bullet?

There is a difference between old reloading books and new ones. IMHO the lawyers got involved and minimized the max loads in case some dude got stupid and blew up his gun.

I've been loading Varget in my .308 for years and love the stuff. One thing nice about most rifle powders is you can't double load a case as it will being spill out of the neck and all over the place. 

I normally shoot out to 600 yds with an occasional 1K shoot in my 40X. My load is 43.1gr behind a 175gr Berger HPBT Match Target bullet. They all go thru 1 hole at 100 and the rifle will shoot 16X 200 at 600 yds. 

I have lotsa space for more powder in my case but that does what? Burn out the barrel faster? Yep! Have lousy groups? Probably.  

If you're just starting out make a ladder starting at the lowest powder charge and work your way to max.One bullet of each going up 3grs. Shoot it at 200 yds for better results. You will need someone to pull targets so you can mark each hole per charge. Just number them 1-14 or whatever. Take the middle bullet of the tightest group. That will then give you a powder charge to work with Reload up and down a grain or two for best group and then all you have to do is adjust your seating depth for tightest group.

The only rifle I ever shoot that was compressed was my AR-15 and when I got there I punched holes in the primer due to the high pressure. I backed that off right away as it will eat the bolt up in short order.

Hope this helps.

Lp

Thanks guys!  I'm using Hornady's 8th volume along with Hodgon's website.  Like I said, I'm .1 gr below Hornady's max load but more than 2 gr below Hodgon's max load.  I hand weighed every charge.  Looking at both resources, I took 44 as a center weight and went with 43.4, 43.6, 43.8, 44.0, 44.2, 44.4, 44.6 and 44.8.  The bullets are Hornady's 150 gr SSTs set at 2.8" COL per Hornady's value on 308 Service Rifle since this is for my AR10.  This length has the cannelure just above the cartridge lip.

Lowpower, you have more room in your cases with 43.1 gr on Varget?  My smallest charge was 43.4 and it was right at the shoulder with the slightest of noise when I shake it.

I'll try out the lowest and keep an eye on pressure signs.  I had an issue with some reman loads from USA Ammo that wouldn't cycle my AR10, the cartridge stuck in the chamber every time.  After three times taking it out with a rod, I gave the rounds to a bolty.

Thanks again!

Guest 6.8 AR

Most, if not all manuals will state whether or not a load for a particular cartridge is compressed. Like Greg said, the density

or bulkiness tells the story there.

Length of the bullet matters, also. Look at the length of a 62 grain tracer and an ss109.

I'm guessing the remanufacturers are loading a little lighter for several reasons, one possibly being liability.

I noticed that the most recent Lyman book showed in bold on each chart that the most probable accuracy was to be found in

the higher charge weights. Hadn't thought about that too much until this thread and just opening that book I recently got. I

haven't had the chance to compare the recent data and the old Lyman book I have just about worn out. I will, though. Glad

you mentioned that, Greg.