Ammo Prices

I hope I'm not being too pessimistic but I really don't think prices are going to return to "pre Sandy-Hook" levels. It's been 8 months since the great Firearmageddon began and there really doesn't appear to be an end in sight.

I stopped at the Wal-Mart in Orlando yesterday during my lunch break and to my surprise they had more ammo on the shelves than I've seen in the past 8 months combined.

They had nearly 20 boxes of .40, at least 10 boxes of .45 and several boxes of .380 and .38.

I didn't buy a single box because the prices were up significantly from what I remember.

100 rounds of WWB .45 is now $40---I previously bought a box of Federal for around $35 a few months back.

50 rounds of  WWB in .38 and .380 was around $22

50 rounds of WWB in 9mm is now $15-previously it was $12 ish. 

50 rounds of PPU in .40 is now $20---previously a box of .40 was $16-17

325 rounds of .22LR has increased from $14 to $18

.223 is still impossible to find at reasonable levels.

The store didn't have a single box of .223, 9mm, or .22LR left in stock.

I see the ammo situation as a bigger threat to the 2nd amendment than I do any politicians. If people can't afford these prices or can't find ammo at all they will eventually lose interest. I know I've cut back on shooting dramatically and ranges everywhere are reporting far fewer customers do to this situation.

I hope I'm wrong but I really don't see things improving anytime soon. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now isn't a good litmus test just yet. Supply is still very low and demand is still very high so prices can easily be inflated.

Now I don't think they will go back down to last years prices, but until ammo sits on the shelf for a month, there is no need for them to lower the price.

Remember the sellers aren't our friends, thy are a business that's trying to increase profit margins and that's all it is.

Well, now isn't a good litmus test just yet. Supply is still very low and demand is still very high so prices can easily be inflated.

Now I don't think they will go back down to last years prices, but until ammo sits on the shelf for a month, there is no need for them to lower the price.

Remember the sellers aren't our friends, thy are a business that's trying to increase profit margins and that's all it is.

I agree. The ammo producers are running wide open. I don’t think most have added equipment because they know the demand will settle down. Prices won’t stay high if ammo is sitting on the selves.

However, shooting is an expensive hobby for those that do more than just have their guns lying around the house. I don’t think small prices differences will cause anyone to lose interest. But if they do; I don’t see that as a threat to any Rights/Privileges I may have.

This is a free market at work; there is no one behind the curtain.

I never suggested this was some kind of conspiracy. What I'm saying is that there will be a point at which people will no longer be willing to pay for ammunition. My fear is that when that happens you will have fewer people who will stand up for their rights if they feel like they can't afford to exercise them.

Since I've been shooting the price of ammo has done nothing but increase so I can't imagine prices will go back to normal levels.

And Dave, I wouldn't call these small price increases. 20-40% for some calibers is pretty big, especially for those of us who do any significant shooting.

I realize there is nothing we can do about it but I just wanted to mention it. I think the best thing we could do would be to stop buying ammo until things calm down, but that's easier said than done. :rofl:

Thanks for the comments so far.

I think the point which people will stop paying for ammo is way higher than we thought. I would have never imagined people paying 70cents to $1 per round for surplus FMJ .223, but they did, and continue to do so. It wasn't too log ago I was debating at .25 per round.

I think the point which people will stop paying for ammo is way higher than we thought. I would have never imagined people paying 70cents to $1 per round for surplus FMJ .223, but they did, and continue to do so. It wasn't too log ago I was debating at .25 per round.

If .223 stays .70-$1 per round I won't be buying any. I'll keep the stash that I have for the end of the world and take up gardening :surrender:

Guest 6.8 AR

I wouldn't count on prices going down until politics does a 180. With this guy in the White House, the pressure will

remain, especially after 2014, when the next great push will come for gun control, by hook or by crook.

Some of you guys should really start looking at the Internet more often.  I have bought a lot of ammo lately for not much more than I did a couple years ago!

Take a look at:  http://www.gunbot.net/ammo

and start saving, but paying a little for shipping.  .223 is about $0.40 per round, but I will agree that .22 LR is not something you want to purchase with shipping fees too!

Edited the link!  A sentence tied together before.

Edited by stillstanding669

Some of you guys should really start looking at the Internet more often.  I have bought a lot of ammo lately for not much more than I did a couple years ago!

Take a look at http://www.gunbot.net/ammo and start saving, but paying a little for shipping.  .223 is about $0.40 per round, but I will agree that .22 LR is not something you want to purchase with shipping fees too!

your link does not work ???

SG Ammo has the Golden Tiger, 1000 rounds for $250 and $22 shipping.  That's about the same per shot, maybe a little better, than the Tula at WM. 

Ammo is always going to go up in price, regardless of who's in the White House.  It just goes up faster when there's a Democrat.  But it's like gasoline.  Just like it.  Long term it's only going up in price, and we will pine for the days when it could be had for pennies.  Remember when gas was a dollar a gallon?  Without gasoline a car is useless, and without ammo a gun is useless. 

Guest ThePunisher
I'm seeing more ammo showing up in LGS with ranges, and less shooting going on. That is hurting business and I believe it's because of job uncertainty and the economy. With less ammo purchasing, the prices will start dropping unless another panic happens.
I've honestly been looking at AK's just because of x39 pricing lately. Seems there's still some surplus too. I've always wanted one, this just gives me an excuse. Shooting is one of my few hobbies/releases, and I don't intend to stop unless I have to. That being said, I refuse to pay crazy prices for ammo. I realize as with anything prices on ammunition will rise, we can't realistically expect it to stay the same. I've slowed down shooting considerably, but I still shoot at least 50 rounds every couple days, much more on weekends. Luckily, I had plenty of 223, 9mm, and 22lr to allow me to shoot even during the crazy times. Now that ammo is on the (slight) decline, I can pick up some here and there and not feel bad about it. Cabelas had Tula 223 for $4.99 a box the other day with no limit and I loaded up. It's far from good ammo, and not a great price but I'm trying not to stress over ammo, then I'll just shoot more. Vicious cycle, ya know

Honestly as everyone else has said...until demand slows down or supply is at surplus level, I doubt we see much more decrease on price

I've honestly been looking at AK's just because of x39 pricing lately. Seems there's still some surplus too. I've always wanted one, this just gives me an excuse. Shooting is one of my few hobbies/releases, and I don't intend to stop unless I have to. That being said, I refuse to pay crazy prices for ammo. I realize as with anything prices on ammunition will rise, we can't realistically expect it to stay the same. I've slowed down shooting considerably, but I still shoot at least 50 rounds every couple days, much more on weekends. Luckily, I had plenty of 223, 9mm, and 22lr to allow me to shoot even during the crazy times. Now that ammo is on the (slight) decline, I can pick up some here and there and not feel bad about it. Cabelas had Tula 223 for $4.99 a box the other day with no limit and I loaded up. It's far from good ammo, and not a great price but I'm trying not to stress over ammo, then I'll just shoot more. Vicious cycle, ya knowHonestly as everyone else has said...until demand slows down or supply is at surplus level, I doubt we see much more decrease on price

Get this and put it to work on that herters or tulammo steel case!

http://www.firearmsforsale.com/arsenal-slr106cr-556x45-blk-16ffs/ Edited by austin7.62

I've honestly been looking at AK's just because of x39 pricing lately. Seems there's still some surplus too. I've always wanted one, this just gives me an excuse. Shooting is one of my few hobbies/releases, and I don't intend to stop unless I have to. That being said, I refuse to pay crazy prices for ammo. I realize as with anything prices on ammunition will rise, we can't realistically expect it to stay the same. I've slowed down shooting considerably, but I still shoot at least 50 rounds every couple days, much more on weekends. Luckily, I had plenty of 223, 9mm, and 22lr to allow me to shoot even during the crazy times. Now that ammo is on the (slight) decline, I can pick up some here and there and not feel bad about it. Cabelas had Tula 223 for $4.99 a box the other day with no limit and I loaded up. It's far from good ammo, and not a great price but I'm trying not to stress over ammo, then I'll just shoot more. Vicious cycle, ya knowHonestly as everyone else has said...until demand slows down or supply is at surplus level, I doubt we see much more decrease on price

Get this and put it to work on that herters or tulammo steel case!

http://www.firearmsforsale.com/arsenal-slr106cr-556x45-blk-16ffs/

Man would I love to, arsenal makes an awesome AK. I've patiently been looking for someone that may be looking to trade AK for AR. I've got a AR pistol that I'd give up for a lower end AK Edited by KKing