"Glamping"?

peejman

The Glamping that I have seen in my wife's magazines usually involves at least being outdoors with all the luxuries of home. This is just ridiculous, just call it a slumber party.

Edit: No, I don't read her magazines, she shows me these articles I swear:-) Edited by Romad7
  • Like 1

Leave it to the yanks and city slickers to FUBAR something else that we all enjoy...  :shake:

The Glamping that I have seen in my wife's magazines usually involves at least being outdoors with all the luxuries of home. This is just ridiculous, just call it a slumber party.

Edit: No, I don't read her magazines, she shows me these articles I swear:-)

Too late now homeskillet, it's in the open...

A few years back I think we ran into some "glampers" in the real outdoors, made it really hard to keep a straight face. Coming off a few days on the AT at LeConte we were about 3/4 of a mile into the decent on the Alum Cave trail headed for the parking area at the base. It had been pouring rain and around 40 degrees all morning on the mountain. We were taking a break from our decent due to one of our group having a bum knee and I thought I was hallucinating. A family of four were wearing trash bags as raincoats and dragging rolling suitcases up the side of the mountain! I politely asked if they needed and help and the gentleman only asked if they were close to the LeConte lodge. I told him that it was only about another mile up the mountain you couldn't miss the signs after you pass the trail shelter.

For those who may not be familiar wit the lodge at LeConte the first paragraph from the lodge webpage "getting there" is below.

"Overnight guests at LeConte Lodge® are very special people. The only way to reach the facility is by taking hiking trails up and back. There are five trails to the lodge, the shortest and steepest being Alum Cave Trail at 5 1/2 miles, which a hiker in good condition can do in approximately four hours one way. None of these trails can be considered a stroll and you occasionally encounter ice and snow as late as May or as early as October. The other trails are Rainbow Falls and Trillium Gap, each 6.5 miles, a hike of about five hours; Bullhead at 7.2 miles and about five hours; and Boulevard, 8 miles and about 5 1/2 hours. Parking is available at the start of each trail."

http://www.lecontelodge.com/

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 1

Geez - I know that when we take our small camping trailer out we aren't really 'roughing it' but at least we are in the woods, I build (and cook) over a real fire and get out in the river and streams to fish.  I guess as long as these folks enjoy it then whatever.  If I had to live in New York City for more than about two days I'd probably be jumping off the top of one of those buildings, not 'camping' on them.

A few years back I think we ran into some "glampers" in the real outdoors, made it really hard to keep a straight face. Coming off a few days on the AT at LeConte we were about 3/4 of a mile into the decent on the Alum Cave trail headed for the parking area at the base. It had been pouring rain and around 40 degrees all morning on the mountain. We were taking a break from our decent due to one of our group having a bum knee and I thought I was hallucinating. A family of four were wearing trash bags as raincoats and dragging rolling suitcases up the side of the mountain! I politely asked if they needed and help and the gentleman only asked if they were close to the LeConte lodge. I told him that it was only about another mile up the mountain you couldn't miss the signs after you pass the trail shelter.

For those who may not be familiar wit the lodge at LeConte the first paragraph from the lodge webpage "getting there" is below.

"Overnight guests at LeConte Lodge® are very special people. The only way to reach the facility is by taking hiking trails up and back. There are five trails to the lodge, the shortest and steepest being Alum Cave Trail at 5 1/2 miles, which a hiker in good condition can do in approximately four hours one way. None of these trails can be considered a stroll and you occasionally encounter ice and snow as late as May or as early as October. The other trails are Rainbow Falls and Trillium Gap, each 6.5 miles, a hike of about five hours; Bullhead at 7.2 miles and about five hours; and Boulevard, 8 miles and about 5 1/2 hours. Parking is available at the start of each trail."

http://www.lecontelodge.com/

:rofl:

In case anyone has ideas... the lodge is generally booked at least a year in advance.

Edited by peejman