Knoxville Shooting Ranges

Jax970

Can someone tell me about shooting ranges in Knoxville?  I'm headed there this weekend and my brother wants to shoot some.  I prefer outdoor, public, ranges with few shooters, but indoor ranges will work too.  What's available??  

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much, outdoor, only ranges I know of that aren't clubs.

- John Sevier TWRA range in North Knoxville, 5.50 per 2 hours. Bench only, 100 yards max, highly supervised.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/region4/johnsevier.html

- Norris Range, 20+ miles north, non supervised, 200 yards max. $20 per day each. (only $40 for whole year, which is the bargain). You have to go by Police Dept, pay plus key deposit if you're doing only day fee,  range is about 4 miles away in middle of watershed, have to go back by and turn in key to get deposit back. PD open 24/7.

Nice place to shoot but a lot of hassle for one time only.

(865)-494-0880

Indoor:

Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville

Gunney's in Maryville

Frontier Firearms in Kingston

Sevierville Indoor Range in Sevierville (bonus of Bass Pro, Smokey Mountain Knife Works, and J. Floyd's on way, plus all the other tourist shops)

(you can find those on web)

Somebody else will chime in on any I've missed.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Can someone tell me about shooting ranges in Knoxville? I'm headed there this weekend and my brother wants to shoot some. I prefer outdoor, public, ranges with few shooters, but indoor ranges will work too. What's available??

John seveir sucks. Coal creek I enjoyed/enjoy shooting at.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

I've been to the John Sevier range a few times and didn't think it was bad at all for a state owned facility. I think it was maybe 5 bucks to get in. The bench rest range is just a bit old but the volunteers that work there are very nice people and do a good job of keeping everyone safe.
They have trap and skeet and it's as good as any. The instructors I've met there were also very helpful and professional. The only thing bad about skeet and trap shooting there was if there was a bunch of people you had to wait a while to shoot again.
It is closed on the first weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I've been to the John Sevier range a few times and didn't think it was bad at all for a state owned facility. I think it was maybe 5 bucks to get in. The bench rest range is just a bit old but the volunteers that work there are very nice people and do a good job of keeping everyone safe.
They have trap and skeet and it's as good as any. The instructors I've met there were also very helpful and professional. The only thing bad about skeet and trap shooting there was if there was a bunch of people you had to wait a while to shoot again.
It is closed on the first weekend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Range Nazi officers when I was there. They won't let you shoot anything but bench shooting which I think is retarded. No rapid fire which I also think is retarded.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn

I like CCA for indoor, I have shot a lot there.

For outdoor there is no comparison to Norris. I moved a handful of hours away and there are times I contemplate driving back just to shoot at Norris.

Isnt there some way you have to do through Norris pd to get the key?

Yes, the Norris PD gives you a key after you pay and sign their release of liability. The range itself is about 5 minutes from the PD.

I am a member of Norris and the Moose lodge. I have been to John Sevier more times than I can count.

If I am going to shoot and not worry about people I go to the Moose Lodge.

If I want to talk to people and just enjoy the community I go to Norris.

If I want to have people try to steal my brass, get an attitiude or give me unwelcomed comments I go to John Sevier. I have tons of stories about JS. From people flat out trying to steal to people who were so full of crap I had to stop shooting because I was crying from laughing so hard and those were the RSO's. I had a RSO argue with me that LC on 5.56 brass meant Lenoir City. Had another tell someone who was shooting their 1911 "too fast" to "Do it like I did as a sniper, one shot one kill" refering to his 1911 he carried as a "sniper". Others would catch brass from people in their vest pockets as it was ejected from people's guns and keep it. Had one RSO tell me when the brass hits the ground it belongs to the range and threaten to have me kicked off the property if I argued about it. I watched another RSO duct tape a plastic Coke bottle to a 22 pistol and parade it up and down the line. Then he shot it and told everyone there is was legal because it was just a Coke bottle and not a suppressor. I am sure a few of the kids that witnessed it probably do it now because the RSO said it was legal. I was the only one shooting on one side and had an RSO picking up my brass as I was shooting. I told him that it was my brass and he said I needed to prove it was mine. I laughed and told him to check the bottom because I had already been through this once. He looked at the brass and saw I had painted each round pink on the bottom, he huffed then dropped the pocket full of brass he had collected onto the ground for me to pick up. This was before the craziness so I know they are probably a lot worse about trying to keep brass. Not all RSO's are like this but it seems like every time I was at the range there was at least one of these types. I have had other shooters give me and my wife grief. Had one shooter complain to the staff about my wife shooting skeet with her 410. He was the same guy who said the SIG was better than an AR because out of a AR M855 goes 3,000 fps and in his SIG it did 6,000 fps. I have caught people looking in my bags and I have had stuff go missing. If you do go, DO NOT go alone and make sure someone stays with your bags as you go down range.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

I buy the yearly pass for Norris,never met no thugs there but the porta pottie is shot full of holes.the grand kids get to go with me for free & have to be listed on the form,if you have kids they can be on there also.Your wife will get a discount if she buys at the same time.I have met a lot of great folks there & if help or any thing else is needed folks always offer.

Guest tdoccrossvilletn
Where exactly is the Moose Lodge and how does one go about becoming a member? Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Yes, the Norris PD gives you a key after you pay and sign their release of liability. The range itself is about 5 minutes from the PD.

I am a member of Norris and the Moose lodge. I have been to John Sevier more times than I can count.

If I am going to shoot and not worry about people I go to the Moose Lodge.

If I want to talk to people and just enjoy the community I go to Norris.

If I want to have people try to steal my brass, get an attitiude or give me unwelcomed comments I go to John Sevier. I have tons of stories about JS. From people flat out trying to steal to people who were so full of crap I had to stop shooting because I was crying from laughing so hard and those were the RSO's. I had a RSO argue with me that LC on 5.56 brass meant Lenoir City. Had another tell someone who was shooting their 1911 "too fast" to "Do it like I did as a sniper, one shot one kill" refering to his 1911 he carried as a "sniper". Others would catch brass from people in their vest pockets as it was ejected from people's guns and keep it. Had one RSO tell me when the brass hits the ground it belongs to the range and threaten to have me kicked off the property if I argued about it. I watched another RSO duct tape a plastic Coke bottle to a 22 pistol and parade it up and down the line. Then he shot it and told everyone there is was legal because it was just a Coke bottle and not a suppressor. I am sure a few of the kids that witnessed it probably do it now because the RSO said it was legal. I was the only one shooting on one side and had an RSO picking up my brass as I was shooting. I told him that it was my brass and he said I needed to prove it was mine. I laughed and told him to check the bottom because I had already been through this once. He looked at the brass and saw I had painted each round pink on the bottom, he huffed then dropped the pocket full of brass he had collected onto the ground for me to pick up. This was before the craziness so I know they are probably a lot worse about trying to keep brass. Not all RSO's are like this but it seems like every time I was at the range there was at least one of these types. I have had other shooters give me and my wife grief. Had one shooter complain to the staff about my wife shooting skeet with her 410. He was the same guy who said the SIG was better than an AR because out of a AR M855 goes 3,000 fps and in his SIG it did 6,000 fps. I have caught people looking in my bags and I have had stuff go missing. If you do go, DO NOT go alone and make sure someone stays with your bags as you go down range.

Pretty much the same experiences I had at John Sevier.

I stopped going to JS because they were so anal about putting a toe over the line, where on the table to lay loaded mags and other boot camp regimen.  Because it's their property and shooting can be dangerous, I respect the rules but I won't go back until they show better respect for the customer. 

Guest Riciticky

I thought of buying property and opening up a rifle range at one time. Then I found out what insurance cost. Uh, forget that intelligent idea.

.....If I want to have people try to steal my brass, get an attitiude or give me unwelcomed comments I go to John Sevier. I have tons of stories about JS.....

A bud and I were both told we were talking too loud by a RSO.  With our muffs on. During firing session. Seriously. "Hey, y'all hold it down, people are trying to shoot here!"

I'll never get over that -- so I mention it every time John Sevier range discussion comes up. :)

- OS

A bud and I were both told we were talking too loud by a RSO.  With our muffs on. During firing session. Seriously. "Hey, y'all hold it down, people are trying to shoot here!"

I'll never get over that -- so I mention it every time John Sevier range discussion comes up. :)

- OS

And I was the people trying to shoot.  :lol:

JS sucks. The staff are a bunch of grumpy old assholes. The larger guy who checks me in most of the time is a complete dick. The skinny one is pretty nice. The RSOs are not worth a damn. They once complained at me and a buddy for shooting guns that were "too loud." Uh, really? One time they threatened to kick me out because my AK74 was a "flamethrower," and a "fire hazard."