Almost time to slang some arrows

If you have not practiced from an elevated position, you need to! Not only does shooting from an elevated position actually make for a longer shot than estimated distance, leaning over while shooting can drastically change your anchor points and cause you to shoot who knows where.
You are doing the right things man. It won't be long before you track down your first bow kill whether it be this buck or another deer.
  • Like 2

If you have not practiced from an elevated position, you need to! Not only does shooting from an elevated position actually make for a longer shot than estimated distance, leaning over while shooting can drastically change your anchor points and cause you to shoot who knows where.
You are doing the right things man. It won't be long before you track down your first bow kill whether it be this buck or another deer.

I have, but not as much as from the ground. You can bet your last bite of your favorite meal that I will be doing it more though. One thing I did when I sat my stand up though, was take my buddy's range finder that figures the distance, given your postition, and tells you how many yards to shoot. That's how I had my trees marked for 10, 20, and 30 yards. I did that much to assure I wouldn't make a mistake. Well, as assured as I could be since I still don't have my deer!

I have, but not as much as from the ground. You can bet your last bite of your favorite meal that I will be doing it more though. One thing I did when I sat my stand up though, was take my buddy's range finder that figures the distance, given your postition, and tells you how many yards to shoot. That's how I had my trees marked for 10, 20, and 30 yards. I did that much to assure I wouldn't make a mistake. Well, as assured as I could be since I still don't have my deer!

Does his range finder account for the angle of you shooting from a tree stand?  If it does not, then you will not get accurate distances. 

Do this too...and this is a fantastic idea...buy these http://www.basspro.com/Saunders-Bludgeon-Small-Game-Head/product/23951/

In your quiver, have 3 broadheads and 2 of those blunt tips.  The blunt tips will fly like a field point believe it or not and are GREAT for practicing your shot while in your stand.  If you see a raccoon, armadillo, squirrel, dog, narrow tree, a stump or anything like that, judge the distance and pop them with that arrow.  It will help you better judges distances and how you can expect your broadheads to fly.  You can also use that tip to shoot at balls in your back yard.  Take a soccerball and toss it out, judge the distance and shoot it.  If it rolls backwords, you hit it low, if it rolls forward you hit it high, if you arrow bounces back straight in the air...just right.  :) 

They work great!

Yes, it accounts for the angle, sorry that's what I was trying to say. I'm going to be doing a lot more shooting from stand height. It will not only help my skill, but confidence level too. Thanks for the tips!

I need to practice more from my stand. I have one setup in the woods behind the house just for practice on a 3D, but what I can't simulate is the heart-thumping adrenalin that comes from the real thing. You hit the deer, so I think you did good. At 15 yards and elevated, hitting high is sometimes desirable if the downward angle causes a lower exit wound. Don't feel like you made a bad shot... You got a pass-through. I think he was just a runner that bled internally.

I need to practice more from my stand. I have one setup in the woods behind the house just for practice on a 3D, but what I can't simulate is the heart-thumping adrenalin that comes from the real thing. You hit the deer, so I think you did good. At 15 yards and elevated, hitting high is sometimes desirable if the downward angle causes a lower exit wound. Don't feel like you made a bad shot... You got a pass-through. I think he was just a runner that bled internally.

Thanks Batman. I am loving using my new ladder stand, and after talking to y'all, I've found a use for my climber. I'm going to use it for practicing so I'm not shooting in the woods I'm hunting in for practice.
  • Like 1

Make sure when you use your climber (or any stand for that matter) you wear your harness.  Its for safety obviously, but its also good to practice in what you will be wearing so you can diagnose any issues prior to hunting.  

• Like 1

Thanks Batman. I am loving using my new ladder stand, and after talking to y'all, I've found a use for my climber. I'm going to use it for practicing so I'm not shooting in the woods I'm hunting in for practice.

That's a good idea. I normally use a ladder stand, and that's my favorite type of stand. Sometimes I'll change things up and try a new place with my climber. Something I do with my climber when I bowhunt from it is to take one of those ratchet-straps and secure the top portion of my climber to the tree when I get situated. That way I can stand up and move around without the top piece of the climber sliding on the tree (I learned this the hard way, lol).
  • Like 1
Rugerla,
Sorry to hear that...you almost had a perfect day though.
Did you hear a 'crack'?
You might have hit high and caught bone on the other side.

I had a great day ground hunting and Stalking.
Thought I was getting ready to get a shot when I got busted by a Buck that snuck up behind me!!

Fun but no deer.
Getting back out ASAP

I learned something from you guys.  I had no idea you could shoot a turkey (either sex) during Deer Archery Only Season.  That sucks because last saturday I had 7 big gobblers at 1 yard.  haha

Whack em! That's all I've accomplished in my hunts so far. Smoked turkey breast will be good, but really wanting so smoke some summer sausage. All the deer I'd been seeing on cam have disappeared as of Friday night it appears. They aren't even showing their faces on any of 3 cams I have out! They will mess up though, and I will be waiting on them. Spent a total of 23 hours in the stand since opening morning and only have a turkey and one dear 'yote to show for it. Turkey at 5 yards and the coyote at 15. Coyote was stalking a fawn that had just passed with its momma. Craziest thing I've seen. Almost cat like. Hunkered down shoulders up like you see lions hunting. He never saw me stand and draw. Stuck him high between the shoulders. Spun for 20 seconds or so and lights out. Once I edit some film (gopro cam) I'll share it with y'all.

Stay in the woods and stick em if ya can!
  • Like 2

Whack em! That's all I've accomplished in my hunts so far. Smoked turkey breast will be good, but really wanting so smoke some summer sausage. All the deer I'd been seeing on cam have disappeared as of Friday night it appears. They aren't even showing their faces on any of 3 cams I have out! They will mess up though, and I will be waiting on them. Spent a total of 23 hours in the stand since opening morning and only have a turkey and one dear 'yote to show for it. Turkey at 5 yards and the coyote at 15. Coyote was stalking a fawn that had just passed with its momma. Craziest thing I've seen. Almost cat like. Hunkered down shoulders up like you see lions hunting. He never saw me stand and draw. Stuck him high between the shoulders. Spun for 20 seconds or so and lights out. Once I edit some film (gopro cam) I'll share it with y'all.
Stay in the woods and stick em if ya can!

I've been trying to figure out the best way to use my GoPro while hunting. I thought about mounting it on my bow. How do you have yours?

Awesome! Congrats!! Did you use the Rage?

Meat in the freezer.

Thanks Batman!

Yep, it laid her open and left a nice blood trail! She was turned away, walking up hill, I had a 3 foot wide window between two trees and thick brush on either side. I shot her on top of her rear end, split it open like a tulip, exited underneath her left leg and dropped blood like a rapper drops money at a strip club!

• Like 1

I've been trying to figure out the best way to use my GoPro while hunting. I thought about mounting it on my bow. How do you have yours?

Most of the time I use the head strap at a 45 degree angle. Bow hunting that it. It sits just over the outside corner of my left eye (right handed) and gives a pretty sick view of the arrow in flight. It looks just over the peep sight.

If I'm filming a lot, I also mount one on an offset mount on the stabilizer aiming back at the shooter. It gives a pretty cool viewing angle too.
  • Like 1

Most of the time I use the head strap at a 45 degree angle. Bow hunting that it. It sits just over the outside corner of my left eye (right handed) and gives a pretty sick view of the arrow in flight. It looks just over the peep sight.
If I'm filming a lot, I also mount one on an offset mount on the stabilizer aiming back at the shooter. It gives a pretty cool viewing angle too.

That's awesome. I have a GoPro that I haven't used much at all. I'm going to give this a try.
Thanks, this is my first bow and first bow season so its my first archery squirrel lol. Those small game heads with the blunt tip and springs definitely do the trick. Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2 Edited by Mdunntn

Thanks, this is my first bow and first bow season so its my first archery squirrel lol. Those small game heads with the blunt tip and springs definitely do the trick. Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Just curious, what bow did you pick out for your first. I bought a hand-me-down from my bro-in-law, but next year am going to buy a new one. There are a lot of nice choices out there, just depends on what a man wants to spend.

It was actually given to me from my mother in laws boyfriend. Its a mathews ultra max around 12years old. I'm running a qad hdx rest and a hha single pin sight.

If I was buying new I've been eyeing thr mathews helim creed and chill. I'm sure some other guys om here would have tons of recommendations.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

It was actually given to me from my mother in laws boyfriend. Its a mathews ultra max around 12years old. I'm running a qad hdx rest and a hha single pin sight.

If I was buying new I've been eyeing thr mathews helim creed and chill. I'm sure some other guys om here would have tons of recommendations.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

At first glance, it's hard for me to imagine spending that kind of money on a bow. But now that I know I'm addicted, I just look at it as buying another rifle. I also will not be buying the newest, updated version everytime one comes out, so if I buy the one I really want it will last me for a LONG time! I've already got a jar in my room set aside just for bow money. It will be fun shopping next year.