What kind of dog is best about not wandering from property?

Guest confidence

Lol are you serious? Dogs have lived outdoors for thousands of years. Heck its where they got their start.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.

Although their ancestors did it, some dogs are no longer suited for that life.

Although their ancestors did it, some dogs are no longer suited for that life.

While its nice to believe they can't make it without us, they don't need us. An abandoned dog usually ends up making it by resorting to is natural instincts.
That being said its a nice relationship that a dog has with a human being.

While I have perfect pups for your home, in response to your original question a Great Pyrenees would be perfect. Get them young and when they identify with your family, nothing without your permission will come on your property or around your kids. You will never have coyote problems and once they locate, they will never leave their perimeter. They have heavy coats but it works to keep them cool in the summer and they love being outdoors in the coldest weather we could possibly get in middle Tennessee. Absolutely great dog for your situation.

He's right about the Great Pyrenees but choose carefully! The one I had was a big lovable protector. Unfortunately, he also thought he was a cute little lap dog and I had the worlds best lap. No matter where we were, inside or out, he'd knock me down and sit in my lap.

Guest Lester Weevils

Lol are you serious? Dogs have lived outdoors for thousands of years. Heck its where they got their start.

Yes but dogs evolved free to go anywhere and do anything that might occur to that little walnut sized brain, consequences be damned.

Dogs did not evolve to be penned up alone for most of their hours, days and years. To make them live that way is cruel and unnatural. It is not being an "outside dog" that is cruel. It is an outside dog in a pen or fence who only gets to see other living beings a few minutes per day. Life sentence in solitary confinement. Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest tdoccrossvilletn

Yes but dogs evolved free to go anywhere and do anything that might occur to that little walnut sized brain, consequences be damned.

Dogs did not evolve to be penned up alone for most of their hours, days and years. To make them live that way is cruel and unnatural. It is not being an "outside dog" that is cruel. It is an outside dog in a pen or fence who only gets to see other living beings a few minutes per day. Life sentence in solitary confinement.

That's you're opinion. I don't think its cruel.

Guest Lester Weevils

That's you're opinion. I don't think its cruel.

One of my hounds was raised on a chain by a neighbor for the first 10 months of its life with hardly any human attention and I got to see the miserable creature every day. Shooting the dog would have been more merciful than that existence.

Then one day they were loading him up in the pickup to take him to the pound and I offered to take him. It took a couple of years with people company and a couple acres of fenced woods and a dog door before he got much better than a nervous wreck, and he still has "oddities" from his early experience.

Yep, my opinion. Better to shoot such a sad creature if that's his only prospects for the rest of his life.
My wife just picked up the 10th dog this year that was just left to run around on its own. Running down a busy road, to collar and covered with fleas. One would think these dogs are abandoned, but we usually find the owner after we go through all the work to track them down. People who don't take care of their pets are some of the worst people out there. Almost as bad as people who don't take care of their kids. They depend on you for crying out loud! So now if anyone wants a Pomeranian/Pekingese mix in Clarksville this one is free. We ain't looking for the irresponsible owners. I'm tired of this sh**. Edited by TMF
I'm not completely sold on the whole "outside dog=abuse" thing but some breeds are definitely more suited for it that others. But here's the danger of a solo outside dog that's not in a fence, if your in the country and there are goats, chickens and such around it is awful tempting for them to satisfy curiosity. If they were to find another dog in the area then that curiosity could and likely will turn into dead livestock and that makes for piss poor relations with your neighbors. Once a dog gets a taste for it, there's nothing you can do about it. My father put my dog down when I was a kid for just this reason and I've seen this happen with many dogs over the years. Just one more thing to consider if not building a fence.
Another dog to look at is a Labradoodle. While it does seem like a sissy sounding breed it is far from that, Winslow the current one is about 90# but he has a bit more lab in him than most. My parents are on their second one and they have both been amazing dogs. Neither of them had any desire to get more than 100yds from the house unless they were with one of us. They don't seem to bark unless there is someone coming up. They have been inside dogs and hate to disappoint their people but I'm not sure how they would feel about being a full time outdoor dog.
Guest nra37922

Dogs don't know what cars are. Dogs left to roam the streets and get hit by cars have abusive care takers.

Amen.....And sperm and egg donors who let their children become feral are also abusive

Edited by nra37922

Just FWIW, one of the things that caused me to get my carry permit was being approached on the road by an aggressive dog while walking (It was a place where people tended to like to dump their dogs when they got bored of them so possibly a stray). There were a few non-strays that caused me some concern while bicycling too.

Guest nra37922

Just FWIW, one of the things that caused me to get my carry permit was being approached on the road by an aggressive dog while walking (It was a place where people tended to like to dump their dogs when they got bored of them so possibly a stray). There were a few non-strays that caused me some concern while bicycling too.

Same issue here with folks letting their dogs roam through a semi build up residential area, really amazing how well leash laws work. 

Standard poodle: smart, territorial to unfamiliar people, friendly to children and friends, quiet, and the best hunting dog around. One of the most important things (that has already been mentioned) is to have only one dog and neuter it if you want it to stay home. Edited by oldmustangjunkie