KA-BAR 5011

Again, stock photo until I get around to taking a worse one. Same design as the famous USMC Fighting Knife, but with a synthetic handle and sheath. I'm all about the history, and will get the leather version for the collection. I wanted a user, and this one is just better for the task...

KA-5011-Kabar-Green-Utility_zps80ce81df.

• Like 2
Guest Bonedaddy

I like. Yep. Wonder if a Furi knife sharpener could be built inside a Kydex sheath somehow? Little mini fingers instead of the big'ns they come with, normally. Nothin' for razor sharpness, just good cuttin' sharp. We've got two of'm we keep in the kitchen and work real good on them "usin'" knives.

Actually, there's a ceramic rod sharpener in the sheath on the knife that replaced the KA-BAR for the Marines. Got one of those knives in my hand right now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OKC-3S_bayonet

NOTE: may not have completely replaced the KA-BAR. Need confirmation from somebody that knows. Spots?

Edited by mikegideon

The KA-BAR showed up. MUCH better blade finish than the Ontario knives. The edge is pretty decent too. It will lop Charlie's ears off, right out of the box :). Money well spent. 

I'll got the 1211, same thing with black grip and black leather sheath. They didn't have the polymer one then, picked one up on the side later though. (not my pic, either):

2731211-Sheath.jpg

- OS

Actually, there's a ceramic rod sharpener in the sheath on the knife that replaced the KA-BAR for the Marines. Got one of those knives in my hand right now...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OKC-3S_bayonet

NOTE: may not have completely replaced the KA-BAR. Need confirmation from somebody that knows. Spots?

As far I know, no units bave been issued Kabars for awhile now. The OKC3 has taken completely over. You will still see Marines with person Kabars at times, and almost ever Marine I know owns for, even if its just for Nostalgia reasons. I prefer the leather handles, but like that sheath.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

As far as I know, Kabars aren't issued anymore. The OKC3s has more or less replaced them, though you will still see Marines sporting Kabars, and almost every Marine I know owns one, even if its just for nostalgia reasons.

Kbar hasn't had the military contract for a long time. And only the Marines and maybe some of the special ops units get an issued knife anymore at all, right?

- OS

As far I know, no units bave been issued Kabars for awhile now. The OKC3 has taken completely over. You will still see Marines with person Kabars at times, and almost ever Marine I know owns for, even if its just for Nostalgia reasons. I prefer the leather handles, but like that sheath.

The OKC3 is a good replacement. It's a better overall package. You can sure see the KA-BAR roots in it, though. I know the KA-BAR was still popular with Marines. I'll buy one of the USMC versions for the collection. This one is gonna be a user. 

The handle material is real close to the OKC3. I like the looks of the leather better.

Edited by mikegideon

Kbar hasn't had the military contract for a long time. And only the Marines and maybe some of the special ops units get an issued knife anymore at all, right?

- OS

We got issued them, but they stayed in the armory with our rifles. We only drew them for training or deployment. I have no idea if anyone else gets issued any kind of knife anymore. I got a lot more use out of my pocket knife and multi tool than I did a large fixed blade, but I still like to always have a large fixed blade

The OKC3 is a good replacement. It's a better overall package. You can sure see the KA-BAR roots in it, though. I know the KA-BAR was still popular with Marines. I'll buy one of the USMC versions for the collection. This one is gonna be a user.

Having handled both, I prefer the OKC. Its heaver, longer blade, and it has two functions. That said I wish tbey had a plain edge version, Im not a huge fan of serrations.

[quote name="mikegideon" post="1027545" timestamp="1378423111"] I've been handling both as we speak :)[/quote] Yeah yeah, brag about it. Seriously though, get that rifle built and bring them out and I'll show you the basics on knife and bayonet techniques Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

I've been handling both as we speak :)

You'll put yet eye out, kid!

(One of the worst wounds of my life was about a year ago sitting right here with divided attention tween puter and TV and sharpening a few knives, though, no kidding).

- OS

Best fixed blade under $100?

Kabar USMC?

Not for best all around utility or ultimate abuse, no. It's a fighting knife design first, and utility knife second.

I'd choose several others first myself, like KaBar/Becker BK2, BK7, or BK9. Or several others.

Even a $20 Cold Steel GI Tanto will withstand more pure abuse, if you want something that just isn't gonna break no matter what.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

The Marines are better off now. The OKC3S will scare it right back into its sheath.

I wouldn't go that far. The Kabar is still an icon, and loved Marine Corps wide. It served with distinction for years and is still a Marine Corps favorite. They are both good blades

I wouldn't go that far. The Kabar is still an icon, and loved Marine Corps wide. It served with distinction for years and is still a Marine Corps favorite. They are both good blades

I like the top one, except for the scungy blade finish...

IMG_0919a_zpscda0d1b2.jpg

Edited by mikegideon

I like the top one...

Posted Image

So do I. They are both good blades. Im just saying the OKC3S isn't a whole ton better than a Kabar. Ive used and carried both in the service, and a Kabar out of the service. The Kabar may be a little dated but its not a bad blade, and is much more proven then the OKC3S right now. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of serration so that prevents me from being a full retard fan of the OKC3S