KA-BAR 5011

So do I. They are both good blades. Im just saying the OKC3S isn't a whole ton better than a Kabar. Ive used and carried both in the service, and a Kabar out of the service. The Kabar may be a little dated but its not a bad blade, and is much more proven then the OKC3S right now. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of serration so that prevents me from being a full retard fan of the OKC3S

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I'm not saying the Ka-bar is a bad blade. It's my thread :). I'm tickled with it. Just saying that the new one is better. Longer, pointier, and thicker blade stock.

Yep. The serrations suck. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1028728" timestamp="1378596850"] Same basic skinny tang weakness though. Plenty strong enough to kill somebody anyway you can think of, but might not survive making an emergency fire. - OS[/quote] Which is why I own a Kabar, and plan to buy an OKC3S but my woods knife is a full tang custom. A fighting knife is not a camp knife is not fillet knife. Tools for the job kinda thing. The kabar is a nasty weapon, and one I drew lots of inspiration from in what makes a good fighter, though I am a fan of Bill Bagswell and James Keating views on the tradtional 9-11" bowie being the ultimate bladed weapon. But its not the perfect camp or survival knife Tapatalk ate my spelling. Edited by Spots

Which is why I own a Kabar, and plan to buy an OKC3S but my woods knife is a full tang custom. A fighting knife is not a camp knife is not fillet knife. Tools for the job kinda thing. The kabar is a nasty weapon, and one I drew lots of inspiration from in what makes a good fighter, though I am a fan of Bill Bagswell and James Keating views on the tradtional 9-11" bowie being the ultimate bladed weapon. But its not the perfect camp or survival knife Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Of course, the OKC moved away from the Bowie blade design some so it could get thru Kevlar. If it wasn't for that, it may have wound up being just an 8" serrated Ka-bar blade.

Of course, the OKC moved away from the Bowie blade design some so it could get thru Kevlar. If it wasn't for that, it may have wound up being just an 8" serrated Ka-bar blade.

Actually a well designed bowie tip will cut through body armor like butter. Its hard to describe for me typing, but if we ever get together I have one I can show you what I mean. But I understand what your saying. I think the biggest reason for the change to the OKC was to combine the bayonet and fighting knife, and the OKC3S was the best mix of the two.

Best fixed blade under $100?

i love KABARs, but I don't consider them to be the best under a $100.  In addition to the Beckers, that OS mentioned, I'd also pick an ESEE or an OKC Ranger first. If it was the only knife I had though, I'd still be a happy camper!  Also, I'd take the KABAR over any SOG or CS for under a $100.

I have to say that I agree with Spots too, on the leather grip.  It's the classic look!!!

Edited by Moped

I've ALWAYS wanted a Ka-Bar since one of my sisters friends(who's a Marine) showed me his when I was a kid and have been enamoured by them ever since. 

Probably won't beat Amazon's $64.83 in hand for the original leather handle model with leather sheath:

61JE%2BbQgWuL.jpg

418hHX0KHmL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Marine-Corps-Fighting-Straight/dp/B001H53Q6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378767022&sr=8-1&keywords=kabar+usmc

Grip is somewhat slick compared to the synthetic ones till it wears in some, btw, but it's the original classic.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I have bought a bunch of knives from Amazon. They usually have the best price. I don't normally buy the there is they're not stocked by Amazon, and stocked by some dealer instead. In this case, Midway beats them. $59.99 with free UPS ground shipping.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/886565/ka-bar-usmc-fighting-utility-knife-7-carbon-steel-clip-point-blade-black-stacked-leather-handle-with-leather-sheath

And just ordered one.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 2

I have bought a bunch of knives from Amazon. They usually have the best price. I don't normally buy the there is they're not stocked by Amazon, and stocked by some dealer instead. In this case, Midway beats them. $59.99 with free UPS ground shipping.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/886565/ka-bar-usmc-fighting-utility-knife-7-carbon-steel-clip-point-blade-black-stacked-leather-handle-with-leather-sheath

And just ordered one.

Very nice! Its should make a nice companion to the new OKC3S.