My Chromecast was delivered yesterday

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

For $35 I dont see how anything is going to beat it for the time being. I paid $13 for mine on first pre-order day but they were already backed up so it just arrived yesterday (6 weeks earlier than they told me).

Anything you can do on your computer, Smartphone, or Tablet can be shown on your TV. no box, (Like Roku), and no apps needed other than the chromecast app.

All it is, is a dongle that you plug into an HDMI port on your tv. The dongle synchs through your wifi. Takes all of 30 seconds to set up. It requires power, so you have two options. Plug driectly into a USB port on the tv, or use the USB 2 prong adapter to plug into the wall or Surge Protector. You dont even see the dongle, and if you dont have a USB port on your TV, depending on how you run the one single thin wire, you can easily hide it or you will only see the one single thin wire.

You have to use Google Chrome (As far as I can tell), when the app is installed, any page you have up will have an small icon in the upper right hand corner, just click on it and whatever is on your device shows up on your TV.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TankerHC

My, that does sound nifty even to one like me that left most of my geekage behind some time ago.

- OS

Intended to be a competitor for ROKU, Blu Ray with Apps and all the other boxes. More than a competitor. Its going to be a replacement at half the price.

Sounds cool, the new xbox will let you watch tv and instantly bring up your apps or internet on part of the screen while you keep watching tv. I like that cause I multi task while I watch tv. Does chromecast let you watch tv and do other things at once?
Guest TankerHC

Sounds cool, the new xbox will let you watch tv and instantly bring up your apps or internet on part of the screen while you keep watching tv. I like that cause I multi task while I watch tv. Does chromecast let you watch tv and do other things at once?

Not that I am aware of. Since Chromecast is on a dedicated HDMI channel, I dont see how it could, but I havent had a lot of time to play with it.

On the audio. I believe it is broadcasting whatever the audio is over the network. Disabling sound on the computers has no effect. Listening through 5.1, no problem. I dont really know enough about it to be sure. Of course I know the TV volume is the TV volume, but if this were broadcasting audio and video off of the computer, the graphics would more than likely be crappy (I would think, even though I am using an entertainment laptop) and disabling volume on the laptop would disable volume on the TV (Same as plugging a computer directly into HDMI), neither is true. HD video's come across the TV clearly in HD, and audio comes across the TV with no input from the Computer. (AFAICT). Keep in mind this is a SWAG.

So this may be too soon to ask since you just got it, but here goes...

Does it allow DRM protected content to be thrown onto the tv? For example an app like NFL mobile or Comcast Xfinity apps do not allow that to happen through Apple TV, HDMI, or composite cables.

I am in a location that has nothing but satellite and that sucks. Charter will run a line to my house for 86k ( that's not a typo btw) and I have NFL Mobile and the Comcast apps, which would be nice to toss up on the big screen. (I cancelled satellite and run Hulu and Netflix)

Does it allow DRM protected content to be thrown onto the tv? For example an app like NFL mobile or Comcast Xfinity apps do not allow that to happen through Apple TV, HDMI, or composite cables.

I am in a location that has nothing but satellite and that sucks. Charter will run a line to my house for 86k ( that's not a typo btw) and I have NFL Mobile and the Comcast apps, which would be nice to toss up on the big screen. (I cancelled satellite and run Hulu and Netflix)

iOS or Android? I thought the updated xfinity app had the DRM removed for android? I could be wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Guest TankerHC

I "believe" it requires using Google Chrome". Here is the best review on it I have seen so far. The first version (The one I have) is ready for upgrade and Google promises a lot of upgrades coming soon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/features/is-googles-chromecast-the-future-of-television-8778743.html

iOS or Android? I thought the updated xfinity app had the DRM removed for android? I could be wrong.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

It is a content issue not app issue. The xfinity app can stream some content through Apple TV and some it can not for both iOS and android. It all depends on who owns the streaming rights as opposed to watching it on a native device.
Guest TankerHC

How is the video quality?

Will it support HD?

It is at the top of the list to buy now. My wife and I watch a lot of NetFlix and this would make life a lot easier on us.

Crystal clear HD quality. I tested it using the NASA HD Audio and Video Space shuttle launch from Youtube. Have to say, this little device is pretty darn amazing.

I paid $30 for an RCA version of a Roku, plugs up through HDMI and rocks off of my WiFi. Hulu, Netflix, ect... We just use it for Netflix.

Which my XBOX360, Bluray player and my Wii (though not in HD,) also do.

I have every television in the house, streaming at minimum Netflix ( best $8 a month I could ever imagine spending.) That doesn't take into account the five computers or other assorted internet devices (DS, PSP, Android Phones x3) that are floating around.

I could imagine spending the $35 for the device if it functioned as a wireless HDMI connection off of my computer to my television, but for a limited streaming service, I have too many other devices that do that, as well as other stuff.

What all can you stream?I was reading and it seems pretty limited, Netflix, Youtube and a few others. You apparently cannot stream everything like I was hoping.

At this time it is pretty limited. However, once the white hats and guys at xda developers get a hold of it and work their magic, get ready for some excitement

Sent from my GSIII using TPR 3.17
Guest TankerHC

Right now you can strean Netflix and you tube abd anything you can bring up in the Chrome browser. Its not just a streaming device. For example, you have a flat panel, you can use it as a monitor wirelessly through the device.