Hunting License for Non-protected Species?

Do you have to have TN hunting license to shoot or trap pigeons, starlings, English sparrows, and nutria? And would using a firearm vs a pellet gun make any difference?

And as far as that goes, do you need one to specifically hunt wild hogs in the case of someone's private land where it is legal? (I know you'd need one to "incidentally" take one while hunting legally for other big game).

The first three are not protected and deemed "non-native invasive populations with potential to damage property, pose a human health risk, and have detrimental effects on native wildlife."

And hogs are deemed "destructive to property and may pose a safety or health risk to people, livestock, and other native wildlife", but it seems unclear is they are also "non-protected".

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

A hunting license is required unless you are hunting/shooting on your own property. All the hogs in the state have a golden halo around their fat heads and have been listed as an invasive and destructive pest, and has had all hunting banned on them. Exceptions exists in the form of getting put on a property owners list in which a hunting license is required, and some WMA's in east TN. And again, you must have a hunting license, WMA big game permit and big game tag (gun, bow ect). How in the world did a "non-game pest" get so much protection? We had a couple of guys busted here for shooting a hog on a WMA.

Rant off...

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 2

Funny thing too...

If you report Hogs on your land, they push you to let them come and Hunt/trap them.

They say that you might get a couple of them and push the others off onto other land.

I reported hog sightings on my local WMA and I called TWRA to report it. Person answering the phone said they have never had a report of hogs on that WMA. Told me I must have mistaken it for something else. Folks, I'm the "Hawg Honcho of TGO" and I damn sure know what a hog looks like. Dumb*****!!!

DaveS

I reported hog sightings on my local WMA and I called TWRA to report it. Person answering the phone said they have never had a report of hogs on that WMA. Told me I must have mistaken it for something else. Folks, I'm the "Hawg Honcho of TGO" and I damn sure know what a hog looks like. Dumb*****!!!

DaveS

why does this not surprise me.
  • Like 1

So, all the pig stuff aside, y'all conclude that you need a hunting license to shoot pigeons and starlings and English sparrows, even with a pellet gun huh?

- OS

Even with a pellet gun, considering that "air rifles" are now listed in the regs as legal hunting devices. They have us coming and going buddy!

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1

Even with a pellet, gun considering that "air rifles" are now listed in the regs as legal hunting devices. They have us coming and going buddy!

DaveS

Oh, I have the lifetime basic geezer hunting/fishing license. Mainly just curious.

I've actually been taking a few pigeons off my back porch as "survivalist" experiment I'll eventually report on (short take, tasty enough) but won't say how. ;)

- OS

• Like 1

It's about that time of year again when I get 1,759,321 quadrillion invasive Starlings around here. When the starlings land on my property they are so loud you can't hear a shotgun blast. When you startle them and they take off, the wind is so strong it's been known to blow shingles off the roof and turn my green Dodge Ram P/U white, not to mention when I'm  outside I'll be dipped in, you know what.  There's so many during the fall around here they block daylight and contribute to global cooling.

I may be exaggerating somewhat but... Them starlings need thinned out a bunch and where I came from the were not regulated at all by the state. Seems here in TN you need a hunting license to pick fallen leaves for a scrap book. The way I read it, you need a hunting license even for invasive and unregulated species here in TN.

TWR is going to regret regulating the invasive feral hog population as a game species in a decade. Then again it's just a matter of pointing fingers at each other? I wonder what the limit, size and possession limits in TN. are for Zebra mussels and Asian flying Carp?

It's about that time of year again when I get 1,759,321 quadrillion invasive Starlings around here. When the starlings land on my property they are so loud you can't hear a shotgun blast. When you startle them and they take off, the wind is so strong it's been known to blow shingles off the roof and turn my green Dodge Ram P/U white, not to mention when I'm  outside I'll be dipped in, you know what.  There's so many during the fall around here they block daylight and contribute to global cooling.

I may be exaggerating somewhat but... Them starlings need thinned out a bunch and where I came from the were not regulated at all by the state. Seems here in TN you need a hunting license to pick fallen leaves for a scrap book. The way I read it, you need a hunting license even for invasive and unregulated species here in TN.

TWR is going to regret regulating the invasive feral hog population as a game species in a decade. Then again it's just a matter of pointing fingers at each other? I wonder what the limit, size and possession limits in TN. are for Zebra mussels and Asian flying Carp?

I don't know what that is and in TN, the carps can only be caught with your face, hands are prohibited, feet are okay though...

• Like 1

I caught a flying carp in the face at 25 MPH in my boat. Hurt like all get out! I had one jump in my canoe with me one day. It hurt him more than me...

Dave