Cop threatens to shoot lawful CC owner, then arrests him!

That makes me think of an interesting question. What role, if any, does "legislative intent" play with the enforcement of a law?

I mean, if lawmakers' discussions are such that one could assume they mean one thing, but a plain reading of their enacted law says something else, does their intent matter? If so, who's intent? It's not like they all think about an issue exactly the same way so any legislator may disagree with another over intent yet both vote 'Yea' on the bill.

Probably little role on the street but perhaps an impact in the court room with a judge.

That's the key.

That is my major gripe with most of these types of cases. Just because one bad person works at Walmart or one gun enthusiast is bad doesn't make the rest of the Walmart employees or gun enthusiast bad. This is true up until the rest of the employees or enthusiasts decide to cover up for the bad ones no matter the wrong they do. The same applets to sheriff or police depts. It's seems like any time a LEO commits a crime the rest of the crew flocks to their aid armed with shovels and ammonia to help bury the wrong. I know that way more often than not, this is the exception more than the rule but it happens enough to make folks skeptical.

Please for the love of God stop spreading this misinformation!

Running the plates does NOT show if there is a HCP involved or not.

Only when running your drivers license do they get that information, not when running the plates.  And only on TN residents.  This has been confirmed by a number of LEOs and people who worked as dispatchers on this forum.

I think it must have been a rookie but even if he was seasoned officer he needs to know he is a police officer that lives in a state that allows people to be armed and it really should not have been that much of a surprise to him. I don't know how many folks here in Tennessee know it but when a LEO stops you 99.9% of the time they run your car plates any times before the stop but almost every time after the stop before they approach your vehicle. Your license plates inform the officer that you do have a carry permit and you may be armed. I didn't know it till I had a Trooper stop me about 2 year ago for a minor infraction for which I was not even ticketed. When the police Officer approached my door I had my window down. He requested my drivers license. Proof of insurance and if I was armed at the time he requested to see my carry permit. I provided him with all he requested. He told me that I had a tail light not working and needed to get it fixed. I told him I would do so the following morning. He handed me all of my papers back and actually thanked me. I asked him why he thanked me and his reply was for taking the responsibility to assist us in protecting you and your family and with that he returned to his Squad car. Super nice LEO and did it by the book but that was when i learned that if you have a carry permit it is tied to your license plates of your car or truck also alerting the officers so they will not be caught off guard at the sight of a gun. I think that might be something all states might want to look into doing..........jmho

Only when running your drivers license do they get that information, not when running the plates. And only on TN residents. This has been confirmed by a number of LEOs and people who worked as dispatchers on this forum.

Not only that, in Florida it's not linked to your drivers license the way it is in TN.

Only when running your drivers license do they get that information, not when running the plates.  And only on TN residents.  This has been confirmed by a number of LEOs and people who worked as dispatchers on this forum.

Good reminder...that would be especially true in my case since most of my vehicles are not titled in my name at all.

• Like 1

It's my opinion that it's always best to let the cop know you are armed during a traffic stop. There's no legal reason to do it but it's a good way to get shot when a jumpy cop gets suprised by a gun on your side. I just like armed people (myself and the cop) both to remain calm while dealing with the situation and getting everything out in the open to start with helps with that.

If the gun is under the seat or something I'll keep quiet but if it's on my person or in the glovebox (that I'll have to open to produce my vehicle registration) I'll let the cop know that I do have a HCP and am armed.

I don't open carry but do usually use a belt holster with a untucked shirt. I usually carry small frame guns so while it does print a little, It just looks like a large cell phone bulge. If my shirt comes up you will see my gun though. I'd like to conceal it a little better but all the concealment holsters I've tried were very uncomfortable.

Edited by m16ty
  • Like 1

It's my opinion that it's always best to let the cop know you are armed during a traffic stop. There's no legal reason to do it but it's a good way to get shot when a jumpy cop gets suprised by a gun on your side. I just like armed people (myself and the cop) both to remain calm while dealing with the situation and getting everything out in the open to start with helps with that.

If the gun is under the seat or something I'll keep quiet but if it's on my person or in the glovebox (that I'll have to open to produce my vehicle registration) I'll let the cop know that I do have a HCP and am armed.

I don't open carry but do usually use a belt holster with a untucked shirt. I usually carry small frame guns so while it does print a little, It just looks like a large cell phone bulge. If my shirt comes up you will see my gun though. I'd like to conceal it a little better but all the concealment holsters I've tried were very uncomfortable.

Not to mention, I've had really good luck driving off with no ticket each time I have told them before they run my license and it usually ends in two "gun guys" talking guns. I'm sure that has something to do with the rural area i'm in but it always seems to work out that way.