Deer processing locations

Place in Lebanon, but don't want to talk bad about them on the web. Feel free to pm and ill give you the name...

Thanks but that would be about the same distance. I will stick with the guys I know if there aren't any closer. Just be nice to gut the deer, run, drop it off, and get back in the woods. Also If I kill one in the morning before I go into work, I don't have time for the drive and traffic.
I appreciate it though.

You should look into doing it yourself. I do and its rewarding to harvest, clean and process it yourself.

I finally got all the material/equip to make summer sausage. Between jerky and summer sausage, that's all I make now. Gotta agree with Ruger though, unless you have a large walk in cooler, it's tough to kill in the morning then process enough to get to work on time.
  • Like 1

The guy I hunt with does it himself, but it's pretty much all day that he's messing with it since he has no place to store it till he gets back to it. That's pretty much my situation, except I don't really have a place to hang it and cut it up. Another reason I want to get out of town and get into the country with more room. This place is too small. I would love to be able to do it myself and save that processing money, but just knowing how to do it is the most important reason.

• Like 1
I can usually get it done in 2 days. If I harvest a deer in the morning and I'm off that day I can usually get it all done or at least most of it. I'm not against deer processors but I know what I'm getting if I do it myself. Some places don't guarantee your deer and if they do who's to say they just say that to get business. Plus im always worried about contaminated meat from improper cleaning. I also don't want some old deer when I've killed a nice young doe. I've always done it myself since I was young. My stepdad taught me how. Sorry if I sound paranoid lol.

The guy I hunt with does it himself, but it's pretty much all day that he's messing with it since he has no place to store it till he gets back to it. That's pretty much my situation, except I don't really have a place to hang it and cut it up. Another reason I want to get out of town and get into the country with more room. This place is too small. I would love to be able to do it myself and save that processing money, but just knowing how to do it is the most important reason.

If you ever need any help just ask me.
  • Like 2

I can usually get it done in 2 days. If I harvest a deer in the morning and I'm off that day I can usually get it all done or at least most of it. I'm not against deer processors but I know what I'm getting if I do it myself. Some places don't guarantee your deer and if they do who's to say they just say that to get business. Plus im always worried about contaminated meat from improper cleaning. I also don't want some old deer when I've killed a nice young doe. I've always done it myself since I was young. My stepdad taught me how. Sorry if I sound paranoid lol.

That's not paranoid, I feel the same way.  :up:  Knowing you killed a tender young doe and get someone else's deer, is not ideal. I also agree on the cleanliness aspect. Just knowing how to do it for the time, should it come for whatever reason, appeals to me even more though. I know they don't have it easy with the massive amount of deer coming through there business, but I would still like to know it's my deer. All the more reason to learn to do it myself like you said.

I plan to do the "Gutless Method" and carry it out in Game Bags.

Doesn't take more time than having to Field Dress and then drag through the woods.

Where I am hunting, Dragging will be VERY difficult/pretty much impossible in some of the Stands I am planning.

Unless I buy a grinder, I will just have Steaks and Stew Meat but that's doesn't sound bad to me!

• Like 1

Doesn't take more time than having to Field Dress and then drag through the woods.

Where I am hunting, Dragging will be VERY difficult/pretty much impossible in some of the Stands I am planning.

Unless I buy a grinder, I will just have Steaks and Stew Meat but that's doesn't sound bad to me!

Never done that. Might come in handy on the mornings I hunt before work.

There are a few different versions of the Gutless method floating around.

Some start their cuts at the Spine and some from Leg to Leg (that one gives you an intact Hide)

Also look up "Rib Roll"

You loosen the meat at the last Rib and go one Rib at a time rolling up the Meat as you work up past the Ribs and up the Neck.

You end up with a Rolled up chunk of Meat.

Am going to try that one too....

Deer processors use to be about every where but in last several years they seem to be getting harder and harder to find. Not sure if it has become a cost factor or a time factor but I just know less folks are doing it these days. Last deer i had processed cost me 80 bucks. Work was very good but a tad costly but he is not doing it any longer and he was here in Gallatin............... :popcorn: :popcorn:
  :popcorn:

Deer processors use to be about every where but in last several years they seem to be getting harder and harder to find. Not sure if it has become a cost factor or a time factor but I just know less folks are doing it these days. Last deer i had processed cost me 80 bucks. Work was very good but a tad costly but he is not doing it any longer and he was here in Gallatin............... :popcorn: :popcorn:
  :popcorn:

It seems that way. When I lived in Missouri, there were places all over our town that did it. Not counting all the ole boys that would do it for you for some of the meat. I know there is a meat company on Murfreesbor Rd behind Nissan here in Smyrna, but I've never seen anyone bringing deer in there. I may stop in and just ask them if they do it, or if they would.

I process all my own. Grew up slaughtering hogs too. It is a tiring process but is worth it to me to know I am eating what I shot and to know everything was handled correctly. I do steaks, roast and grind up burger.
I've ate venison processed from several different places and it never tastes as good as home processed. One of the reasons being they don't take the time to cut the membrane off the steak cuts, I do remove it and makes a big difference.

A good grinder is ever bit worth the money. Make your own burger, sausage, everything. Buy butcher meat and go to town! Make sure you get one with a "sausage stuffer".You'll thank yourself!

DaveS

+1 on what has been said about doing tit yourself. It makes harvesting your deer a much more intimate, fulfilling, and satisfying experience.

:). Wow, when you put it that way... it takes it to a whole new level. #guyhumor

awesome typos aside, I'd like to do it sometime, ... We'll see.