Gun Buying Frustration!

Sidewinder

I'm trying to buy some Ruger MK series guns locally... and can't believe the prices some think their guns are worth. Sure, we all want to buy low and sell high, but some don't use common sense logic on pricing their guns. Common sense tells us that a house costs more in New York or Los Angeles than it does in Woodbury Tennessee. To a degree, the same logic can be applied to guns. Many look at the unrealistic  "asking" prices on Gun Broker...you know, the ones that close without getting one single bid, and try to say they're selling for such and such a price on GB. To get the "real" selling prices, one must go to the "Completed Sales". What I'm trying to say, is that different people in different locations around the country will pay different prices for the same identical gun. When selling "locally", the local market is the watermark, not what one sold for in Seattle or New Jersey.

We have a number of online, and local, outlets to compare prices with these days. Bud's gun shop is one I have in mind, and they often throw in free shipping...just as an online reference. Grady Jones' Gun Shop (The Collection Connection), on Hwy 96 in Murfreesboro, is a good reference for local prices.

Why the frustration, you ask. Well, as an example, I'm trying to buy a couple of Ruger MK series pistols, and can't believe what some think they can get for older used Ruger MK l, ll, and llls. Many with asking prices that exceed NIB, unfired, guns.

Example... Bud's has a Ruger MK lll Standard for $315 with free shipping. Grady has the same gun for, I believe, $339 out the door. We're talking about brand new, unfired, guns in the Ruger box, with extra magazine, papers, and all the accessories that come from Ruger. No... sorry, your beat up '80s truck gun with rust, worn bluing, no box, no extra mag, no owner's manual, and no papers is not worth $450!!! Most people are looking for a "stock" factory gun, and aren't willing to pay for accessories that often meet or exceed the original value of the gun. Common sense tells us that money spent on accessorizing guns, boats, automobiles, and even often houses, won't always come back to us when we sell.

Geez, Louise... is it too much to ask for these days, to ask for an honest person that is willing to sell a decent gun at a fair market value... or, are we only dealing with the guys that used to sell watches from the inside of their trench coats!! That's a rhetorical question, but hopefully it reflects my point of this ranting post... "Gun Buying Frustration". Thanks for your time in reading this rant... am I the only one that's experiencing this, or are there others on this forum?

While I agree with you, it also is as bad the other way.  Buyers who want a $315 dollar gun for $200 because it is used, even if it is as new in box.  There will always be sellers asking too much and buyers offering too little.  It just depends how bad you want something I guess.  At least you can get a new one, so if the market is that bad and you really want it, it may be worth just buying it new.

• Like 1

I dunno about ya'll but most of the guns I buy are work out, rusty ole beaters and most of the guns I sell are gold plated, engraved works of art that are the most accurate firearms know to man.

(At least that's how everyone feels at our gun club)

Being the self taught gunsmith that I am you wouldn't believe all the work that goes into them. Now if I can just find a screw driver with one of them crosses on the tip I can get this grip thingy off the pistol I'm currently turning into a piece of art. Hmmm, where'd my dremel tool go?  When I get done with the grip thingy I gotta dremel out the ramp loading thingy and I can't find my rat tail file anywhere. 

Free enterprise being what it is = the scalpers found out they can wait at Walmart at 7am and get ammo for normal prices so they can put them online for 2X the price. Or, beater AR's selling for 

$2K? How about this a gallon of gas for $5? Whatever someone will pay means those that won't pay that price have to wait until they find someone selling at their price. 

Personally, I believe prices are gonna drop like a rock once O'Care begins and more folks are out of work. No one will have any money to buy anything. Prices will match peoples income or they won't sell. Just don't look for instant gratification right now.

Lp 

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda like me and my PMR 30.  I could have had it much sooner, but I wasn't willing to pay a GB price.  Others were.  I got in line and waiting about 2 years for retail price.  I am very happy with it. 

Had I paid more I could have got it sooner.  But I have it at a price I agreed with.

They call that a buyers market. That has been around for ever. If you have a 1955 Chevy 2 door Bel air and you want to sell it for a set price you don't put the price and OBO on the wind shield.  You put a higher price than your really wanted for it so you can negotiate till you are both happy and you lock in the deal. Gosh I remember doing trading like that when I was just a snotty nosed kid. Some folks call it horse trading. I had a Mac 11 open bolt 380 cal with 5 magazines  2    15  rounds and 3     30 rounds that had been in the family since the early 80's. I put it on Gun Brokers   @  $1,500.00 even though I only wanted $1,200.00. It was not on the site an hour and a buy now was placed on it at the asking price. I about fell out but the guy that bought it had been looking for one for years and when one showed up he got it asap. Since he paid that kind of price I agreed to pay the shipping to his FFL dealer. I got more than I would have settled for because my goal price was $1,200.00. Now with that said I go on GB ever once in a while and 90% or the guns for sale never have bids on them so you know most of them are to high or more than folks are willing to pay for sure..... :popcorn: :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...