State University - Leave Gun In Car Legal?

It would help if you weren't editing your posts every ten seconds. No need to make people look like an arse here.

Excuse me all over the place and everything, but why was the part you included in your quote not enough?:

"No. Permit is an exception to Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990"

- OS

Umm, because the federal act specifically says it is, at least for schools in TN,  as I quoted above?

- OS

Excuse me all over the place and everything, but why was the part you included in your quote not enough?:

"No. Permit is an exception to Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990"

- OS

I had asked how the permit was an exception to the GFSZA. You then edited your post and included the verbage of the law that helped with the question I posed. Forgive me for not immediately taking your word on the matter as solid fact and forgive me for posing a question, professor.

I had asked how the permit was an exception to the GFSZA. You then edited your post and included the verbage of the law that helped with the question I posed. Forgive me for not immediately taking your word on the matter as solid fact and forgive me for posing a question, professor.

Apology accepted. :) :)  I made some of my living off writing and editing through the years, so sorry, an old editor just well, tends to edit. :)

Anyway though, none of TN's weapons laws seems to be in conflict with the Zones Act, except possibly, again, the fact that TN treats all other states' permits the same as the TN HCP.

That's one reason I always have argued that the "non student adult" exception in 39-17-1309 is intended to mean an unloaded firearm only, which btw is of course another exception in the federal School Zones Act, though that TN statute does not specify a locked container or rack as does the federal one.

But it's clear any number of states have laws that are in direct opposition to the federal one, not to mention all the open carry states that require no permit at all, and whose folks come within a "school zone" without ever leaving a city street.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

In Mississippi, if you have an enhanced license, you can carry at K-12 schools and also colleges.  Everyone else can have a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Mississippi, with or without a license.  Your car is like your home there.

It is a state by state deal.  We need to get the situation improved in Tennessee.

It appears it is legal, with a permit, for someone to have a firearm in his own vehicle that is parked on school property.  It does not look like that new parking lot law applies to someone borrowing a car or riding in someone else's car.  To me, it was a poorly written law.  If the area is as bad as you say it is, I would keep my gun in my vehicle and don't tell anyone that you know that you are doing that because you can still be expelled.

Even before this law change, non students could possess firearms on school property in ANY motor vehicle.

Ask your state representative or state senator to change the law so that anyone with a permit can possess a firearm anywhere on school property, not just in a car.  That would help things out a lot.

Good advice for the OP. Don't tell ANYONE you have a gun in your vehicle, keep it out of sight, don't break traffic laws on campus. Don't even let anyone on campus know you have a carry permit.

That brings up a good point, would it be hard getting a law passed that prohibited a POST certified officer from sharing lawful firearm ownership/possession information with non-law enforcement departments or private businesses?  That would reduce the risk of a traffic stop on or near campus resulting in the University finding out about any firearms you might have.

Good advice for the OP. Don't tell ANYONE you have a gun in your vehicle, keep it out of sight, don't break traffic laws on campus. Don't even let anyone on campus know you have a carry permit.