Gas and storms

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyebedam

Because George Bush Owns the Oil Companies & he Controls the weather. Its all his fault.

Actually this is a more recent trend ever since Katrinia happened & they figured they could get away with it they have figured they can keep doing it. I cant remember anytime before Katrinia that the prices would raise because of a storm.

stop buying gas, that will show them.

you can live without ice and flashlights etc, gas too if you wanted to.

I drive 80 mile round trip to work so I have to have gas.Those in that storm area have to have ice and flashlights too.

Look guys it's very simple. We are on our way to it being two classes. The haves and the have nots. No more middle class. Because the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer. That's when the s**t hits the fan. So get ready!!!:popcorn:

I drive 80 mile round trip to work so I have to have gas.

We all make choices.

The haves and the have nots. No more middle class. Because the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer.

I remember hearing this out of my Dad near 40 years ago

The haves and the have nots. No more middle class. Because the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer.

Me too, but it's funny when a dem. politician tries to tell you about it....

I keep hearing these people whining about not making any money selling gas..then the price jumps 15 cents in one day.

They keep building new gas stations. If gas didn't make money, why spend the money to put the tanks in the ground. That's got to cost a flippin ton of money. Open a stop and rob without selling gas.

In other words I don't believe the BS.

Look guys it's very simple. We are on our way to it being two classes. The haves and the have nots. No more middle class. Because the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer. That's when the s**t hits the fan. So get ready!!!:cool:

Actually, studies are showing that this is not really the case. In actuality, the poor are getting richer as a whole. They are able to afford more. Part of it has to do with government subsidies.

Guest emsputz

I don't think they are gouging prices because they do have to make enough money to be able to afford to fill up their tanks again when they get the next delivery of gas. If the gas distributor has to go up on prices because of less supply, then the stations have to go up also, or they will be out of business. The price is going to go up because there is going to be less supply. The oil rigs in the gulf have been shut down and evacuated already.

Ok the price of gas is on its way back up because of Gustov and it hasn't even hit yet.How is it they can keep you from price gouging on flashlights,ice ect. but it is fine for the oil companies to gouge everyone on the gas.

There is no such thing as "price gouging."

That is all.

.... The price is going to go up because there is going to be less supply.....

And there is now less supply to fall back on because there isn't anymore "tank farms."

Years ago every major city had the storage to hold 100s of thousands of gallons of gas. The Nashville tank farm was off Hwy 70 (Lebanon Road) just as you neared downtown. Those went away because the piplines would be able to deliver "just in time supply" of fuel so you wouldn't need to store so much. Now when there is any hicup in the supply there isn't anything in storage to hold you over until the supply side catches up. The tree huggers also wanted the tank farms gone because they worry about fumes and such stuff. :screwy:

Also, gas station now have much smaller underground tanks. Some of you might recall the EPA ruling and all of the old stations having to dig up their big tanks - - - all that worry about leaks into the ground water. :)

So - - - Another fine example of second & third order affects of good ideas!

We all make choices.

Well its one you have to make when the company you work for shuts downs and moves your location into the one in Knoxville,hard to leave when you have been with them for 13 years and there is no jobs in your county that pay above min wage.

I am saying that if the oil companies can use the supply and demand thing to raise prices everyone should be able to but see how far you would get if you drove down to the gulf coast and tried to sell lights,generators,Ice or whatever for 3 or 4 times what its worth.

Guest emsputz
And there is now less supply to fall back on because there isn't anymore "tank farms."

I hadn't even thought of that. Now that you mention it, there is a tank farm on Middlebrook pike in Knoxville. I don't know if it belongs to one company or several. The last time I was in that area, (several years ago) the large tanks were there but I don't know if it is still in use today. The idea of storing the fuel in tank farms in case of supply disruptions didn't even cross my mind. I wonder how long those tanks would last if supply was disrupted.

I hadn't even thought of that. Now that you mention it, there is a tank farm on Middlebrook pike in Knoxville. I don't know if it belongs to one company or several. The last time I was in that area, (several years ago) the large tanks were there but I don't know if it is still in use today. The idea of storing the fuel in tank farms in case of supply disruptions didn't even cross my mind. I wonder how long those tanks would last if supply was disrupted.

They are still there and in full use.

Best I can tell they are owned by different companies and many more of them than you can see from the road.

I hadn't even thought of that. Now that you mention it, there is a tank farm on Middlebrook pike in Knoxville....

Yeah, but it's not storage in the sense of the original thread.

They are just distribution holding tanks...same fuel isn't in there long.

- OS

Actually, studies are showing that this is not really the case. In actuality, the poor are getting richer as a whole. They are able to afford more. Part of it has to do with government subsidies.

Maybe that's what an ivy league school study reports. But that's far from what the studies report from the real world I live in. Even if that was true what Harvards studies say. What happens when government subsidies dries up? And the working mans bills are higher than his income. What do you have? The haves and have nots.

Ok the price of gas is on its way back up because of Gustov and it hasn't even hit yet.How is it they can keep you from price gouging on flashlights,ice ect. but it is fine for the oil companies to gouge everyone on the gas.

Economics 101:

Commodities prices are set via the commodities market which is made up of investors/speculators who try to predict future market demands.

IOW, there is a market at work where people are betting on the storm disrupting the supply like Katrina did. If Gustov doesn't hit the refineries those betting on the storm will lose their shirts.

Look guys it's very simple. We are on our way to it being two classes. The haves and the have nots. No more middle class. Because the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer. That's when the s**t hits the fan. So get ready!!!:shrug:

Yup, the poor class stays roughly the same size. The middle class is shrinking. How is that a bad thing?