For all you reloaders, what powders do you use?

I've been only reloading for a few months and have been using only Accurate Arms powder. I've been using #2 for .38spls, #5 for 9mm and .40 S&W, #7 for .45 acp, and #9 for .357 mag. I've tried other caliber/powder combos but settled on the above combos.

I've been recommended Titegroup and Bullseye because they can be used for a variety of calibers. What powder have you all had luck with?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reloading for over 20 years I have settled on Winchester WST and 231 for all my handgun loading.I have used Accurate Arms 5 and 7 and while good powders they are not as cost effective as other powders ie you have to use a lot more to get the same velocity.Bullseye is the old standby and will be for years to come.It is a little dirty with lead bullets but hey cleaning guns is half the fun of shooting them eh?

Guest tokarev

Titegroup for my .38'.

2400 for my .357 & .44 magnums as well as for loads in the .308, 30-30 and 45/70. Varget in the .223/5.56.

3031 in 30-30 and the 45/70.

I bought some H110 to try in the .44 mag.

I've got a pound of Herco to try with slugs in my 12 ga.

There's been a few others, AA#5, RL#7, H338.

You will have better luck with #2 in 38 and 45, and #7 in 9X19 and the 40.

#5 is a great powder, but in the 38 and 45, #2 is cheaper to use, and does not produce as much smoke in an indoor range.

In the 9X19 and 40, they are loaded to higher pressure, and #7 is more suitable.

In the 357, 41 and 44 mag, #9 is going to be hard to beat! If you use the 110 or 125 in the 357, #7 will work.

• 4 weeks later...
You will have better luck with #2 in 38 and 45, and #7 in 9X19 and the 40.

#5 is a great powder, but in the 38 and 45, #2 is cheaper to use, and does not produce as much smoke in an indoor range.

In the 9X19 and 40, they are loaded to higher pressure, and #7 is more suitable.

In the 357, 41 and 44 mag, #9 is going to be hard to beat! If you use the 110 or 125 in the 357, #7 will work.

I loaded some 9mm and .40 with #7 last night and shot them today.

The 9mm I used 115 gr FMJ. The powder pretty much filled the cartridge with only enough room to seat the bullet. The 3 - 9mm loads all shot well. I tried them in both my Glock 19 and my Sig P226.

The .40 I used 165 gr and 180 gr Copper plated FN (Berry's), 3 different loads of each. All 6 loads shot well. The loads with the 165 gr bullets seemed to group better than the 180 gr bullet. I shot these through my Sig P229.

Since my original post, I've picked up some Titegroup and it's definitely more economical than Accurate.

Most handgun rounds I use either 231 or Unique... Be careful with the Bullseye in the .357 I forgot the exact reason as it was explained to me, However I loaded what was listed in my lyman book as middle of the road and it caused the brass to expand to the point I had to knock the brass out with a cleaning rod.

I like AA#9 in 44 Mag, and am about to give it a run in 357. So far, I have liked H110 for full-house 357 loads, but since I sold off my 686 ad Ruger GP100, I don't run off nearly as many of those as I used to. I try to take it easy on my K frames. For those I like the mild (for magnum, anyway) loads of Bullseye with lead bullets.

I had issues with getting AA#2 to burn completely in my loads, so I've just moved on from there.

I use a lot of titegroup for plinking loads in all calibers... just don't yank that handle twice in the charging stage!! It's great because you use VERY little powder. I've got an 8lb jug that I've probably only used a pound and a half of in the last year. In magnum loads with slow powders sometimes you're getting less than 350 rounds per pound of powder! That adds up!

My most accurate load in .40 was with titegroup. It wasn't a really hot load, and I wouldn't use it for anything but paper punching, but it was good at that!

I tried Blue Dot for both 357 and 44, but I just can't get used to it. I don't have a chrono, but it felt and sounded very erratic, no matter how I crimped, and accuracy wasn't really there. In loads way below max I was getting flattened primers. It was OK out of my levergun in 357, but I don't like have "one gun only" ammo. Now there is a warning not to use BD in 125 gr 357 loads anyways, so I've pretty much written it off altogether.

Hodgdon Clays (not universal clays) seems fine for light loads using lightweight jacketed bullets in 38 sp. It has also worked OK in 45acp, but not my fav.

I like HP38 (same exact powder as WInchester 231) for 38 and 45acp. I've actually even come to really like it for plinking lead loads in 44 mag. Downloaded to a listed 850-900 fps it's a real *****cat out of my 6" 629, and almost one-hole accurate to about 25' for me, when I get lucky. I always seem to get one dang flier, and I haven't been able to narrow it down to a certain cylinder or anything... I'm just not that good of a shot.

I'm going to try some 2400 maybe this next week. I keep hearing that it's the hot poop from guys who ave been reloading since before I was born, so I'll give it a whirl.

Unique is alright for mid range mag loads in 357 and 44, but not any better than powders specifically tailored to those rounds, so I've got probably half a pound that will last me the rest of time.

One powder I really like for .40 was Winchester Super Target. It was close in accuracy to my titegroup loads (this was out of a Sigma) but they took a lot of "snap" out of the recoil of the .40. Everyone who shot those loads liked them a LOT! Again, I'm not trying to extract every last FPS out of my target rounds... just trying to make a nice, consistently accurate round that I can shoot at paper.

Hope that helps! :hat:

After reloading for over 20 years I have settled on Winchester WST and 231 for all my handgun loading.I have used Accurate Arms 5 and 7 and while good powders they are not as cost effective as other powders ie you have to use a lot more to get the same velocity.Bullseye is the old standby and will be for years to come.It is a little dirty with lead bullets but hey cleaning guns is half the fun of shooting them eh?

+ 1 for WST, for 9mm and 45 auto.