Beginning to Yote hunt, suggestions

Hello guys, my father and brother are big into hunting (turkey, deer, fishing) but I am not. Ive always been the tech in the family. And while I appreciste firearms, have my CCW, and love pistols....rifles just dont do much for me.

Id like to begin coyote hunting. This past weekend I took my Rossi single shot 243, a tasco (yesh I know not the best) scope, and got it dialed in out to 75yds with some 44 grain ballistic tips my dad reloads. Seems like the only thing im (we're) missing is light at night. Thats what suggestions id like to hear.

What do you all use for night light/vison/flash light when hunting coyote. Id rather not spend over $150ish on a setup.

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

First off let me say coyote hunting can be a lot of fun. Second hunting coyotes in TN at night is illegal. Early mornings and evenings are the best times but on cold cloudy days I have called them in all day. You may want to take the time and read the TWRA regs to get familiar what you can and can't do to hunt coyotes and how to hunt them with the different deer seasons. Also have you taken your hunters safety course if not you will need that. Here is a link for you to the TWRA website http://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife.html.

Hello guys, my father and brother are big into hunting (turkey, deer, fishing) but I am not. Ive always been the tech in the family. And while I appreciste firearms, have my CCW, and love pistols....rifles just dont do much for me.

Id like to begin coyote hunting. This past weekend I took my Rossi single shot 243, a tasco (yesh I know not the best) scope, and got it dialed in out to 75yds with some 44 grain ballistic tips my dad reloads. Seems like the only thing im (we're) missing is light at night. Thats what suggestions id like to hear.

What do you all use for night light/vison/flash light when hunting coyote. Id rather not spend over $150ish on a setup.

Thank you.

Tread lightly young Jedi, as what Shaun says is true! Read, read, and read some more!

DaveS

• Like 1

Ordered light last night, can use for coon as well. The primo call is over priced. I can get a 400 sound caller for that price. I'd really like to call them in myself though.

Coon is about the only thing you can use light for.

DaveS

• Like 1
I use a primos mouth call. It's called the little sky-ote. Small blue open reed call that is very flexible and can make tons of different distress sounds depending how you work it.

Bottom line any call that you can make a horrible, murder like sound with seems to work if the dogs are in earshot...also, take a triple reed turkey mouth call and practice making it sound like a hurt puppy
I have an electronic caller & it's great for pulling in yotes from distance, but once they're within a hundred or so yards, I switch to a Knight & Hale cottontail mouth call.
I've also had a lot of luck with the squeaky bulb out of a dog toy. Take the bulb out of the toy & cut a small hole in the bulb. You can fit the whole thing in your mouth so that just the to of the reed is exposed. You can suck or blow without any movement & produce some horrifying bunny sounds!
A lot of the sounds on electronic calls are useless, especially in a state that doesn't have anything that sounds like a wolf howl, dying jack rabbit our mountain lion.

Sent outta my ass by flying monkeys.

I have an electronic caller & it's great for pulling in yotes from distance, but once they're within a hundred or so yards, I switch to a Knight & Hale cottontail mouth call.I've also had a lot of luck with the squeaky bulb out of a dog toy. Take the bulb out of the toy & cut a small hole in the bulb. You can fit the whole thing in your mouth so that just the to of the reed is exposed. You can suck or blow without any movement & produce some horrifying bunny sounds!A lot of the sounds on electronic calls are useless, especially in a state that doesn't have anything that sounds like a wolf howl, dying jack rabbit our mountain lion.Sent outta my ass by flying monkeys.

Actually a jackrabbit distress call can be very useful. I have called in coyotes with it when no other sound worked. It works good on weary or over called coyotes. There's a lot of calls I have used with some success that most would think useless. Edited by ShaunM
  • Like 1
My favorite call when nothing else seems to work is a turkey reed call. Make it sound like a wounded dog.

Had a guy one time jokingly tell me he has a call that sounds like a baby hippo in distress lol. Sometimes it just takes something different to peak their interest.

come February though it's on! Throw a female whimper or howl combined with distress and get ready