Tactical vests

I just ordered a 5.11 tactical vest. I can't say how good it is until it gets here. They are on sale at LA Police Gear right now.  I'm thinking of also getting the 5.11 covert vest or the Scottevest Travel Vest. I don't think the Scottevest would carry all the stuff you want to carry, though. Its pockets are more of a passport, iPod, sunglasses type of vest.

Yeah. They have a lot of adjustment though.

I like those vests but worry about how snug they fit, especially once plates are installed. I'm 6'2" 240 and I don't want to look like a bloated grandpa at Thanksgiving. .....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have a couple of the 511 vests and while I like them, theyt arent really tactical and  they are definitely not for concealed carry, lol, as they scream I got a gun!  They make a less obvious vest but it dont really carry much it looks like,.

Edited by barewoolf
  • Admin Team

Y'all are going to be disappointed in that vest. 

I know the price is attractive, but a lot of the "tactical vests" on the market today are overblown photojournalist vests that they ran in ACU instead of khaki.

It might be okay if the only time you're going to put it on is when you take out the trash and then promptly go back inside, but wear it longer than that and you'll be disappointed.  The craftsmanship, fit, adaptability and durability of that vest are lacking.

If you're looking for a vest, it's worth the money to get an actual MOLLE equipped plate carrier that you can customize when you figure out that the placement of all those magazines, Twinkies and whatever else you strap on there isn't to your liking.  Or, if you're not going to use all that real estate to actually carry armor, you might consider a good belt and some mag carriers like HSGI makes.

• Like 5

in the next year or so I may look into getting a carrier with rifle-rated plates for myself and close family members.  It could be a substantial investment initially but worth it long term.  Dolomite, your opinion is held in high regard but on some forums the mention of the name Condor gets a guy flamed.  Are those carriers good for rifle plates?  Will they sag over time?

• Admin Team

in the next year or so I may look into getting a carrier with rifle-rated plates for myself and close family members.  It could be a substantial investment initially but worth it long term.  Dolomite, your opinion is held in high regard but on some forums the mention of the name Condor gets a guy flamed.  Are those carriers good for rifle plates?  Will they sag over time?

For "casual" use that mostly resembles sitting in a closet, the Condor and Voodoo Tactical vests are fine.

Like you said above, it's a substantial investment.  If you're considering it really is a buy once purchase, we're it me, I'd spend a little more money and go with someone like Tactical Tailor or Eagle Industries.  The difference is worth it.

• Like 1

Y'all are going to be disappointed in that vest. 

I know the price is attractive, but a lot of the "tactical vests" on the market today are overblown photojournalist vests that they ran in ACU instead of khaki.

It might be okay if the only time you're going to put it on is when you take out the trash and then promptly go back inside, but wear it longer than that and you'll be disappointed.  The craftsmanship, fit, adaptability and durability of that vest are lacking.

If you're looking for a vest, it's worth the money to get an actual MOLLE equipped plate carrier that you can customize when you figure out that the placement of all those magazines, Twinkies and whatever else you strap on there isn't to your liking.  Or, if you're not going to use all that real estate to actually carry armor, you might consider a good belt and some mag carriers like HSGI makes.

Thanks for the input!

• Admin Team

Something that you really need to consider when looking at vests is not just how much gear they can strap on there, but how that gear is placed and more importantly, how you're going to use it.

Look at the vest listed above:

CV007-F__89854.1319331702.1280.1280.jpg

That belt is useless.

It looks like it holds a lot of stuff, but let's think about it a little bit.  First, the cross draw.  There's a place for it, but just like small of the back carry, there's a good potential that in a stressful situation you're going to be sweeping yourself with the muzzle for part of your draw.  You can make your own decisions, but it's not for me.  Next, let's look at those pistol mag carriers.  Go through the motions of removing a mag from a pouch up around your shoulders.  It's wonky at best.  I don't have a problem with the rifle mag carriers - but they've gone and stitched an admin pouch above it.  If the pocket is there, you're going to stuff something in there.  Well...now you've got an issue when you're trying to get a good grip on your rifle magazines and they're going to hang up when you try and extract them.

We've got a bunch of folks on here who have spent more than their fair share of time downrange over the last decade getting shot at for a living.  Most would be happy to share their rigs.

Here's are two great setups by guys whose lives have depended on them:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/35847-new-equipment/?p=597123

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/68590-hsgi-sure-grip-belt/?p=1016301

Something that you really need to consider when looking at vests is not just how much gear they can strap on there, but how that gear is placed and more importantly, how you're going to use it.

Look at the vest listed above:

CV007-F__89854.1319331702.1280.1280.jpg

That belt is useless.

It looks like it holds a lot of stuff, but let's think about it a little bit.  First, the cross draw.  There's a place for it, but just like small of the back carry, there's a good potential that in a stressful situation you're going to be sweeping yourself with the muzzle for part of your draw.  You can make your own decisions, but it's not for me.  Next, let's look at those pistol mag carriers.  Go through the motions of removing a mag from a pouch up around your shoulders.  It's wonky at best.  I don't have a problem with the rifle mag carriers - but they've gone and stitched an admin pouch above it.  If the pocket is there, you're going to stuff something in there.  Well...now you've got an issue when you're trying to get a good grip on your rifle magazines and they're going to hang up when you try and extract them.

We've got a bunch of folks on here who have spent more than their fair share of time downrange over the last decade getting shot at for a living.  Most would be happy to share their rigs.

Here's are two great setups by guys whose lives have depended on them:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/35847-new-equipment/?p=597123

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/68590-hsgi-sure-grip-belt/?p=1016301

thanks! that was very helpful, it helps knowing the "why" things are where they are..

I'll throw in my opinion. Worth exactly what you paid for it :up:  I like OSOE gear, even though the owner can come off as a prick sometimes. It is expensive, but I had one of his chest rigs and it was extremely well made. I had the Mookie War Rig light, which holds 8 AR or AK mags, and is small and compact. The only reason I sold it was to get a different one by him. This is the one I'm wanting. Tons of storage space, it rides high on the chest which I like, and its built like a tank.

http://soebelts.com/collections/chest-rigs/products/nsw-chest-rig

I've also had experience with BDS tactical. Again, super high quality gear, a little softer price point than SOE. They also offer some plate carriers. I plan to run a minimalist plate carrier with 2 AR500 plates under the chest rig instead of building everything off the plate carrier.

When I was in the Marines, we just attached everything to our flaks, and that works well, but it does run into some serious weight quickly once you figure soft armor, plates, combat load of mags, etc. Id look around and try on a few to make sure the one your looking at suits you. I love chest rigs, but some people hate them and prefer a more traditional style vest. I prefer the chest rig because its more comfortable to me in a vehicle or sitting in a chair, etc. And it gives me more options, I can leave off the plate carrier, or the chest rig depending on the situation.

• Like 1

I'll throw in my opinion. Worth exactly what you paid for it :up: I like OSOE gear, even though the owner can come off as a prick sometimes. It is expensive, but I had one of his chest rigs and it was extremely well made. I had the Mookie War Rig light, which holds 8 AR or AK mags, and is small and compact. The only reason I sold it was to get a different one by him. This is the one I'm wanting. Tons of storage space, it rides high on the chest which I like, and its built like a tank.

http://soebelts.com/collections/chest-rigs/products/nsw-chest-rig

I've also had experience with BDS tactical. Again, super high quality gear, a little softer price point than SOE. They also offer some plate carriers. I plan to run a minimalist plate carrier with 2 AR500 plates under the chest rig instead of building everything off the plate carrier.

When I was in the Marines, we just attached everything to our flaks, and that works well, but it does run into some serious weight quickly once you figure soft armor, plates, combat load of mags, etc. Id look around and try on a few to make sure the one your looking at suits you. I love chest rigs, but some people hate them and prefer a more traditional style vest. I prefer the chest rig because its more comfortable to me in a vehicle or sitting in a chair, etc. And it gives me more options, I can leave off the plate carrier, or the chest rig depending on the situation.

Spots, you are about to get me in some deep sh** with the wife because I'm about to order one of those NSW Chest Rigs!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Spots, you are about to get me in some deep sh** with the wife because I'm about to order one of those NSW Chest Rigs!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do it. The quality will not disappoint, I promise. If you wanna get in lots of trouble just click around his website. Lots of very nice stuff.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 2