10/22 Trigger Job suggestions

10ga

Anyone here ever done a 10/22 trigger job? I bought another bull barrel 10/22 yesterday from a local guy and the trigger feels like it's 10lbs or more. I took it apart yesterday and gave it a good cleaning but didn't help. I don't want to spend the money for a match trigger and if I could take 5 or 6 lbs off this one, I think I would be happy with it. I know there's several vids on youtube but I'm worried I'll mess it up. I guess worst case, I have to buy a new hammer and sear if I take too much off. Just curious if anyone has done one and if you have a good link for instructions.

Thanks

Anyone here ever done a 10/22 trigger job? I bought another bull barrel 10/22 yesterday from a local guy and the trigger feels like it's 10lbs or more. I took it apart yesterday and gave it a good cleaning but didn't help. I don't want to spend the money for a match trigger and if I could take 5 or 6 lbs off this one, I think I would be happy with it. I know there's several vids on youtube but I'm worried I'll mess it up. I guess worst case, I have to buy a new hammer and sear if I take too much off. Just curious if anyone has done one and if you have a good link for instructions.

Thanks

Nice avatar, BTW

I recently picked up a bull barreled model 10/22 with the ruger "Target" trigger and it is surprisingly horrible. I didn't expect it to be great, but I cannot imagine how the stock trigger could be much worse.  It feels heavier than the the basic trigger that came in a lower parts kit from PSA on my beater AR.  

At any rate, I am considering the VQ hammer and sear for about $70, but am leaning towards either the Kidd single stage at $200 or two state at $300 as I suspect I will end up with one of the Kidd's eventually. 

Guest Broomhead

Also, you don't even have to touch the sear to lighten your trigger pull. In fact, I'd suggest you stay far away from it. Just work on the hammer. I found out the hard way.

Edited by Broomhead

If your 1022 has a poly trigger housing just pony up the 105.00 and get the kidd trigger and install it yourself.  If you don't feel comfortable doing your own trigger using Dolomite's links then I would send my trigger to this guy:  http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/ruger-1022-1/

However, if you have real cash and you want a fabulous trigger, the best, then buy the Tony Kidd 2 stage trigger in the poundage you want.  I shot one with a 3 oz trigger the other day I am in lust.  I wouldn't want to go squirrel hunting stumbling around the woods with the trigger, but on the bench that thing is crazy nice.

There are a couple of forum members who I recently sold 1022s to that have Kidd kits in poly housings and I think they can attest to their "wonderfullness."

Now days I do my own like the links Dolomite listed. Leave the sear alone as several have mentioned.

I also endorse just putting in a Voqlquartsen hammer. That, besides a Brimestone job, might be the cheapest route to go for a much improved trigger. I have also shot some of Brimstone's triggers and they are very nice also.

+1 on doing business with Brimstone for the money. I had a Takedown 10/22 with the worse trigger II have ever felt.

Sent it to Brimstone and it came back with a three pound trigger. I just got the basic trigger job.

Edited by R1100R

I checked out the web page and the Brimstone sounds like a better route to take. My gun is just a plinker so for $44.50 with shipping, how could I go wrong? Heck, the hammer I was going to buy would about cost that much. Thanks!!

Shipped off the trigger to Brimstone today, I will let you know how the trigger works when I get it back. I appreciate the advice and help...............10ga

Edited by 10ga

I've looked at photos online of the MR 1022 clones and I have seen both the metal ones marked "empire" and the poly ones. I'm gonna guess that MR uses OEM parts that appear on the Ruger.  I looked over at rimfirecentral and I didn't see anything that disputes MR just uses OEM trigger groups/housings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my trigger back today from Brimstone and I love it. Came out to a hair over 2.5 lbs and it's smooth as silk. I really appreciate the heads up on Brimstone and I'm getting ready to box up my AR trigger and send it to them. 

• Like 1