357 rifle for deer

bayouvol

After reading some more on Buffalo Bore's website, I am even more skeptical.  They describe their .308 "sniper" round as being excellent for deer at 500 yards with a Sierra Matchking 175, due to their load's special velocity.  2640 fps is not earth-shattering and Matchkings are a poor choice for big game. 

Touting their .30-30 load as a grizzly and moose round and claiming that you can kill four deer with one shot takes the cake, though.  I don't think the claim was tongue-in-cheek.

Whatever the case, an iron-sighted lever action .357 or .44, especially a 16" 94 Trapper, would make a neat, close-range brush gun for deer.  I regret handing one back to the guy at the gun counter back in the mid-90s. 

Edited by deerslayer

Doesn't seem worth the effort to lose ~150 fps.

You are concerned about 150 fps being the line between good and bad?  In 30/30 wouldn't that be the difference between a 25 or 125 shot.  

I have taken many deer reliably with arrows going not much faster than 150 fps.  

Shot placement is what matters in every case.

It has been very well know for DECADES that 30/30 is within reach of a .357 handload out of a rifle.  As mentioned above - a deer don't care.  There are some arguments that the unexpanded diameter and TKO factor give it somewhat of an edge.

You are concerned about 150 fps being the line between good and bad?  In 30/30 wouldn't that be the difference between a 25 or 125 shot.  

I have taken many deer reliably with arrows going not much faster than 150 fps.  

Shot placement is what matters in every case.

It has been very well know for DECADES that 30/30 is within reach of a .357 handload out of a rifle.  As mentioned above - a deer don't care.  There are some arguments that the unexpanded diameter and TKO factor give it somewhat of an edge.

No idea how you derived the assumption about 150 being the difference between good and bad from my earlier post. 

I've never been aware that the .30-30 has been within reach for .357 rifle handloads and I can't find any load data that gets it even close.  Maybe Sierra, Hodgdon, and others just don't know what they are doing.  The only people I can find loading .30-30 class .357 is Buffalo Bore and after googling their products for five minutes and finding numerous complaints of stuck cases, I can see why some of their ammo is several hundred fps faster than anything else.  I wouldn't put it in my gun. 

Edited by deerslayer

I have about 20 handloading manuals in my shop that all have a rifle section for .357.  Some of them dating back to 1947.

Glad that you learned something new...it is a very versatile cartridge.

Let me help - 

Lyman's 47th page 317

Lyman's 48th page 262

Nosler #3 page 323

Hodgdon number 26 page 418

All have a rifle section with a .357 entry specifically for rifles.

No idea how you derived the assumption about 150 being the difference between good and bad from my earlier post. 

I guess then I am stumped then.  Didn't you mean that the difference between your 30/30 and .357 is 150 fps and that difference is  a primary factor (velocity) for you deciding that .357 isn't on par with your proffered 30/30 load.

By the way I load my 30/30 with cast loads at 1000fps with bullseye and also 30 carbine bullets every now and then touching 3000fps.

Velocity isn't everything. 

I have about 20 handloading manuals in my shop that all have a rifle section for .357.  Some of them dating back to 1947.

Glad that you learned something new...it is a very versatile cartridge.

Let me help - 

Lyman's 47th page 317

Lyman's 48th page 262

Nosler #3 page 323

Hodgdon number 26 page 418

All have a rifle section with a .357 entry specifically for rifles.

I guess then I am stumped then.  Didn't you mean that the difference between your 30/30 and .357 is 150 fps and that difference is  a primary factor (velocity) for you deciding that .357 isn't on par with your proffered 30/30 load.

By the way I load my 30/30 with cast loads at 1000fps with bullseye and also 30 carbine bullets every now and then touching 3000fps.

Velocity isn't everything. 

Yep, I used my reading skills to check other RIFLE .357 data, but none of them pushed 180s, 158s, or even 125s anywhere near a .30-30/170.  So what kind of velocities do your books publish for .357?  You left out the most important detail. 

The 150 fps comment was meant as a tongue-in-cheek reply to a poster who suggested that I go buy a .357 to test myself.  Buying a new rifle didn't seem worth the trouble. 

Edited by deerslayer

I'm not a hunter but I can say my Marlin 1894C 357/ 38 is one of my favorite rifles. These rifles make a great companion with a 357 revolver. I don't think you need a scope for the less than 100 yard range you are going for. +1 for the Williams sight, I have one on mine. They are cheap to shoot with the 38's and I feel like the 357 should have no problem taking a TN deer under 100 yards but then again I am no hunter.

Great rifle, I have had mine for 7 years now.

..... The quality of the newer Marlins is getting better, the ones right after the move from New Haven were of some questionable quality.

Just to be pedantic, Marlin moved from New Haven in 1970. To North Haven, where they stayed until closing in 2011. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, North Haven, my bad. lol

Any way after Rem bought and moved the production quailty sucked. Guns made from '09 thru '12 were poor. I've been hearing that they are improving, but most Marlin junkies still won't buy the Remlins as they are called now.

So I was only wanting to let give a little heads up to anyone interested in a new "Marlin".

• Like 1
Guest TNSovereignty

I'm seeing positive reviews of the Williams sight.  I also recommend checking out Skinner sights for the Marlin.  I put them on all my leverguns - love 'em.