Remington Core-Lokt Question

Just bought some 150gr Remington Core-Lokt in 270 from a local guy. Was inspecting them when I got home and noticed that one box was a little different than the other as you'll be able to see in the picture. My question is are they different bullets or did Remington change they're manufacturing at some point?

Posted Image

Also some of the cases have rust. Primers look fine but was wondering if that will affect them. Sorry for the noob question

My .303 British look like the LEFT one but they are 180s

Email Remington and send the pic they should know for sure, but failing that  if there is a question that they are handloads I  go by my personal rule of

If I didn't reload it I don't shoot it. and break them down for components or at least reload them with a known type and weight of powder

ain't worth making your rifle a jigsaw puzzle.

• Like 1

Any chance that they are someones handloads? My grandfather used to have a guy press together 30-06 with the bullets on the left because he felt they would not be as effected by brush if he was hunting in woods that were grown up. I have many boxes of them he left behind in FL when he passed and some are in CoreLokt boxes but he had written on the box what they were and the guys name that he had make them up. No factory CoreLokt bullets i've seen have ever looked like the one on the left. Not saying they never existed but just that i've never seen them if they do.

Email Remington and send the pic they should know for sure, but failing that if there is a question that they are handloads I go by my personal rule of

If I didn't reload it I don't shoot it. and break them down for components or at least reload them with a known type and weight of powder

He said they were all factory loads. He did have some reloads for sale. I also go by that rule or with someone I know and trust.

My 308 core-Lokt looks like the one on the right in 150 grain.

Interesting. Thanks for the input so far guys!

Email Remington and send the pic they should know for sure, but failing that  if there is a question that they are handloads I  go by my personal rule of

LngRngShtr, can you identify a hand-load by sight? The question is the same for others reading this. If so, what are the identifiable things to look for...things that anyone can spot just by looking at them? This is of major concern to me, as it seems to be with the OP, because I was recently sold a box of reloads as factory loaded ammo. My bad... I should have asked more questions when he said he bought them at Bass Pro a couple of years ago, and the box looked like it was 10 years old. He is a member on this web-site, and may very well read this post. Or... he may have more re-loads to sell to unsuspecting GOC members as "factory loads". 

If you show Remington the round, the box, and the numbers on the box, they should be able to tell you if they match up. If they don't, it's possible you have bought some re-loads. Sorry, but hope with all of the experienced hand loaders we have on this site, we can all get more educated on how to recognize re-loads.

LngRngShtr, can you identify a hand-load by sight? The question is the same for others reading this. If so, what are the identifiable things to look for...things that anyone can spot just by looking at them? This is of major concern to me, as it seems to be with the OP, because I was recently sold a box of reloads as factory loaded ammo. My bad... I should have asked more questions when he said he bought them at Bass Pro a couple of years ago, and the box looked like it was 10 years old. He is a member on this web-site, and may very well read this post. Or... he may have more re-loads to sell to unsuspecting GOC members as "factory loads". 

If you show Remington the round, the box, and the numbers on the box, they should be able to tell you if they match up. If they don't, it's possible you have bought some re-loads. Sorry, but hope with all of the experienced hand loaders we have on this site, we can all get more educated on how to recognize re-loads.

It can be difficult to tell, but the easiest thing to check first are:

Do the headstamps on the case all match?

Sometimes the crimp on the case(s) will be different from factory crimp.

Next you could pull some bullets, dump the powder and inspect each.

But you'd need to know what you are looking for and the LOT # on the box to to be sure.

I don't reload but I have seen some reloads that looked as good as new.

While others looked reloaded and "dirty".  I try to but from honest people.

I don't mind shooting certain peoples reloads. Especially if they tell me they are reloaded.

If someone isn't telling they are reloads, they have something to hide.

In the end, you will most likely find it easier to dispose of the "suspected reloads" and buy new, reload yourself, or buy from a respected reloading company.

I can't see any easy way to prove your suspicion with out a lot of work.

Edited by TnShooter83