Levergun fever...

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Well I've got the hankerin for a lever gun. What are the manufacturers to look at? I see Marlin is pretty popular. I'm kinda on the fence with either .357Mag or .44Mag. The price difference in ammo if you look hard enough is pretty slim so I don't think thats really a factor. Which would be better? I would use this mostly to plink with and maybe something to hunt with if the urge ever moves me, or possibly a trunk gun for when I go camping in the woods. Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few levers. Two Marlin's a 45-70, 35 Rem. I also have a couple of 1892 clones one in 45lc and another in 44mag. The clones are nice for the price but I have had a problem with the 44 (overbore) and getting it repaired has been a pita. But that just seems to be a problem with a batch of 44's. I am looking for one in 357 also. Don't know if it will be Marlin or clone.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Default.htm

http://www.stevesgunz.com/

I like them all but the pistol calibers are a hoot. The 92 clones have a very strong action.

Steve at http://www.stevesgunz.com/ is a really knowledgeable person and will give you all the info you can stand.

Guest Glknknox

I've been wanting one of these myself.

44 mag would be my choice, like to have a Henry or a Marlin.

Just another toy though, so I haven't been that serious about it.

Like to see some of the feedback on this also.

I've got a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Love the handling, size, and looks, but the recoil bothers me. Thought it was just me, but I let a buddy shoot it and he said the same thing. After 5 shots, shoulder is bruised. To be fair that is with full power magnum loads. Anyway, thought about getting rid of it for a 357 in the same gun if that helps you any.

Guest bkelm18

Hmmm, interesting. Never thought that recoil of a handgun caliber would be much of a problem in a rifle. From what I understand, the .357Mag rifle will also shoot .38Spc, which is considerably cheaper than .357Mag or .44Mag. Decisions decisions.

I really like my 44. I can load it down to plinking loads all the way to detached retina. The mild loads with cast bullets are just a hoot. The 250 BTB's pushing 1800+ fps will rattle your teeth. Mine is a Rossi Puma with 16in barrel. Love the rifle.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109371759

Be warned Leveritus is very difficult to cure.

Edited by Curiousgb
Guest bkelm18
I really like my 44. I can load it down to plinking loads all the way to detached retina. The mild loads with cast bullets are just a hoot. The 250 BTB's pushing 1800+ fps will rattle your teeth. Mine is a Rossi Puma with 16in barrel. Love the rifle.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=109371759

Be warned Leveritus is very difficult to cure.

Damn that's a nice looking rifle. Is EMF a good brand?

i'm a levergun man myself...always have loved them. Marlins are my favorite, followed by Winchester's.

i have a Marlin 1894 in .357 and i absolutely love it! i mounted a Williams peep sight on it and it is killer fun at the range. i'd love to add a .44mag to my collection of levers that matches my .357, but never can find one when i have the funds available... here is a pic of my 1894 .357:

1894c1.jpg

I had Steve (steves gunz) work his magic on a new EMF 1892 clone (.357, stainless, 20 inch saddle ring carbine). He gave it an action job, a winchester metal follower, and removed the funky safety. I installed a Marbles tang sight on it, and bought some very nice walnut furniture for it. All this was for my wife, who of course decided (about a month afterwards) that the rifle for her was one of my CMP M1 carbines, so it now sits in the closet, unloved.

The rifle is a joy to shoot. Cycles very easily (one finger on the lever), handy, fairly accurate with the regular sight (probably better than I am, I just never got used to buckhorn sights) and very acceptable with the tang sight. Lightweight (5.5 pounds?), very handy, recoil with 38's is nil.

Damn that's a nice looking rifle. Is EMF a good brand?

A buddy of mine bought the same rifle in stainless 45lc. It is a great rifle. EMF is just an importer the rifle is Brazilian made. They are not hard to "slick up." The EMF has better sights than the Puma's. Steve @ Stevesgunz will sell you one with all his action work at a reasonable price, he also recommends the EMF.

I ordered a blued 20" octagonal barrel .357 1892 clone directly from EMF last month for my father-in-law. fit and finish is nice and it shot pretty good out of the box with WWB .38 specials. I found instructions on "slicking up" the action and we are going to try that in the near future.

Guest GUTTERbOY

I'd love to have one. Few years back I got to shoot with a friend whose stepdad had just picked up a Win lever in .45LC. That thing was a blast to shoot- barely any recoil at all. Although my perception of recoil may have been tainted by shooting my 7mm mag not too long beforehand.

:D

Guest Wilson1

Three for me: Marlin .44 mag, Marlin .30-30, and Winchester Model 1892 .38-40.

And yeah - the .44 mag Marlin (full house loads) kicked much more than I thought too.

Mike

I took the plunge earlier this year and got a Chapparel 1873 with a 24" barrel in 38/357. The 38 loads shot like a 22lr and the 357 shot like an AR15 (recoil-wise). The only issue I had was that it would rupture 38 blazer cases and then it ruptured a 357 brass round. I sent it back under warranty and now I am waiting for the replacement to be shipped.

I definitely recommend 38/357.

Guest Bronker

Between me and my son, here's our list:

Marlin Model 336 RC .30-30---1949 model. My son will be the fourth generation in my family men to hunt with this gun.

Winchester Model 94 .30-30---Pre-64. Given to me by my father.

Henry Youth Model .22LR --- My son's first firearm.

Daisy Red Rider --- my son's 4th birthday present.

Next up...an Uberti Replica Henry Rifle in .45LC. No reason, just always wanted one!!!

Not a big list, but among my greatest loves.