Press suggestions for new reloader

I am thinking of looking into reloading but have not had any experience with the exception of reading "The ABC's of Reloading".  My thinking as of right now is to get a single stage and once I have the hang of it possibly look to a turret or progressive.  After reading several posts it seems this is the suggested process.  I will be reloading for mostly handgun (9, 40, 45) but also rifle (5.56 & 308).

Is a kit better to start off with or buy it by the piece?  At present I was looking at a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit.  Any thoughts, good/bad? Any pieces that are not needed in the kit or others that are needed but not included??  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

I plan on contacting David with Magnum Materials when purchasing components and getting a couple of reloading manuals/tables.  

Any other items needed or other suggestions for equipment?  There are so many out there it will make your head spin!!

Thanks in advance,

Builder Bob

The rockchucker kit is everything you need to get started less dies and shell holders. That press has all the leverage you will need. I like Hornady dies. They have a coating on the inside of the sizing die so won't need to get carbide size dies. They also have a collet inside the bullet seating die that really helps control the bullet while seating it.

I'll add my "amen" to the RCBS rockchucker stuff... Ive used one for a bunch of years... They are a great press... We've got dies of all flavors; they are all good.... My current favorites are Dillons (...i like the pinned pistol bullet nose change for the seaters...) and Redding.... The truth is that they are all good....

Enjoy your reloading... Its a great hobby itself...

leroy

While the rockchucker is awesome, buying one now and another later is not good use of money.  A lee classic turret is a single stage press if you take the turret off, pull the rod out, and put the turret back in with no rotation rod.   You can use it just like the single stage, and when you are ready, you can put the rod back in for turret action.   While a single stage is fairly cheap, its still redundant if you buy a turret later.    Just a thought? 

While the rockchucker is awesome, buying one now and another later is not good use of money.  A lee classic turret is a single stage press if you take the turret off, pull the rod out, and put the turret back in with no rotation rod.   You can use it just like the single stage, and when you are ready, you can put the rod back in for turret action.   While a single stage is fairly cheap, its still redundant if you buy a turret later.    Just a thought? 

Except that a turret has more slop. You know I like the Lee Turret. But, I have two single stage presses too. My turret will never see any Grendel ammo.

• Like 1

I have been using the same rcbs press for over 40 years it still works great

I have other presses but always go back to this one imo it is one of the best

lee makes great dies their presses however lack a little in the quality dept

I liken it to buying tools a reloading set up is just a tool anyway

buy the best you can and you will never look back I got my

rockchucker when I was 13 or 14  still use same scales and powder measure as well

just my 2 cents worth

• Like 2

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.  

Jonnin, I have heard about the slop in the turret press from some one else who reloads and I was going to stay away because of that.  My thought was to eventually get a square deal B from Dillon for pistol calibers and continue to use the single stage for the rifle calibers.  Maybe the square deal would be too limiting when I was fully ramped up since it does not have the capacity for rifles but right now I shoot some rifle but lots of pistol.  I have time until that happens though.

Thanks for everyone's replies so far.  

Jonnin, I have heard about the slop in the turret press from some one else who reloads and I was going to stay away because of that.  My thought was to eventually get a square deal B from Dillon for pistol calibers and continue to use the single stage for the rifle calibers.  Maybe the square deal would be too limiting when I was fully ramped up since it does not have the capacity for rifles but right now I shoot some rifle but lots of pistol.  I have time until that happens though.

The turret is fine for most stuff. I load 5.56 on mine. I just don't try to do any precision stuff, where you have to pay attention to very accurate charge weights and low bullet runout. Personally, I won't use a Chucker for that either.

Yes, if you are planning to make match grade long range ammo, go for a quality single stage.   My advice was geared toward a typical new reloader for a first press choice, not a competition type setup.

It just helps to have a dedicated single stage. Most of them don't cost that much, and they last longer than a human. I size all my bottleneck rifle brass on a single stage too, because I like to tumble the lube off before I move to the next step. And sure, you can use the turret for that. I'm just not sure how the slop impacts shoulder bump if you're using a die that can be adjusted for that. 

Edited by mikegideon
Guest Lester Weevils

My thought was to eventually get a square deal B from Dillon for pistol calibers and continue to use the single stage for the rifle calibers.  Maybe the square deal would be too limiting when I was fully ramped up since it does not have the capacity for rifles but right now I shoot some rifle but lots of pistol.  I have time until that happens though.

I have loaded lots of rounds for more than 10 years on a SDB. Its only disadvantage for what it does, is that it doesn't use standard dies. The special-sized dies which DIllon sells are fine though, and I've had no complaints with them.

It sounds like most rifle folks like the single stage presses. I've never bought a single stage press. About the only rifle I'd ever reload would be .223, which ought to be fine on a progressive except maybe "match grade". But not on an SDB of course.

Kinda wish I'd bought a 650 back in the day. I THINK dillon was making a 650 when I got the SDB, but maybe not. Am purt sure they weren't making the 1050, but maybe am wrong about that as well.

Some folks say the SDB is as good as anything for pistol, "nearly ideal for pistol", and its cheap enough that some people have been known to have multiple SDB's, each permanently set up for a favorite pistol caliber. No switching over.

Sometimes it seems like a good idea to get a 1050 or the Hornady big progressive, but then again, the SDB still works fine.

For my uses, I would avoid the 550, not because there is anything wrong with it, but it doesn't automatically spin the shell holder around when you pull the lever. You pull the lever, then you manually spin the shell holder. 550 users don't seem to mind, but I wouldn't want to do that.

So that's the main problem I have with the SDB-- It works good enough that I'm reluctant to buy another press because I'm too cheap. But for instance I need to buy another press of some kind to start loading .223, and I never can decide whether to buy a new deluxe press or a new cheap press, so when confused I don't buy anything at all.

If I'd spent more money and got a 650 way back when, that would not be a problem, I could just buy some .223 dies and go to it. :)

I've thought about a Dillon 650, time and time again. Just can't see replacing my Hornady progressive. I still use a Lyman some, also.

I'm not sure but every Hornady die I have used is as good as anyone else's. If you are loading most pistol calibers, any progressive

press will save you much time and repetition, plus, you can use it in single stage, also. Forster makes some of the best tools and

accessories available. I use their trimming setup for a drill press. Real quick.

Just like with any press, it's the setup that really counts, not just the press. A lot of it nowadays, is finding most any in stock. Dillon is

currently 6-8 weeks behind on the website. Personally, I see the Hornady/Dillon thing as a Ford/Chevy argument. Never had an RCBS

except a .45acp die set, and it is fine.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've thought about a Dillon 650, time and time again. Just can't see replacing my Hornady progressive. I still use a Lyman some, also.

I'm not sure but every Hornady die I have used is as good as anyone else's. If you are loading most pistol calibers, any progressive

press will save you much time and repetition, plus, you can use it in single stage, also. Forster makes some of the best tools and

accessories available. I use their trimming setup for a drill press. Real quick.

That big hornady progressive in the pictures and specs looks to be the equal or maybe better than a 650, and in some configurations comparable to the 1050.

Really? I admittedly know too little of the Dillon presses, but I went to their page and put a system together, yesterday, to try

and see if I would come out better replacing. Didn't think I could make the venture worthwhile, but it was entertaining, anyway.

The ones I've seen are plenty good, and the quality is as good as a press can get. I started with the Lock-n-Load so I probably

should just keep it. I added my own homemade bullet feeder to it. I've been working on making a case feeder, also.

Ah! I'm too old to be changing that kind of stuff around. The Hornady's just fine.

Guest Lester Weevils

Really? I admittedly know too little of the Dillon presses, but I went to their page and put a system together, yesterday, to try

and see if I would come out better replacing. Didn't think I could make the venture worthwhile, but it was entertaining, anyway.

The ones I've seen are plenty good, and the quality is as good as a press can get. I started with the Lock-n-Load so I probably

should just keep it. I added my own homemade bullet feeder to it. I've been working on making a case feeder, also.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Dillons. I've never used or seen the Hornady, but awhile ago looked at lots of the Hornady videos and read the factory manuals. At the same time, also looked at lots of Dillon 650 and 1050 videos and read the manuals. Both brands looked real good.

This is the one I was studying--

632863.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/632863/hornady-lock-n-load-ap-progressive-press-ammo-plant-110-volt

That's the ammo plant. My version for the bullet feeder is a strategically placed piece of PVC pipe on the feeder on the press, for

about a hundred rounds. The case feeder is proving to be a bit more difficult, though. :D

The Dillon may be better engineered for add-ons like that. The Hornady is okay with it's add-ons but at the price, I'll keep mine and

tinker.

That's why I have never criticized the Dillon. They both have good features and judging by both's sales, I'd say they are equally as

popular. One of the things I am happiest about, with mine, is it will move faster than I do. No claim of records for output here, just

fairly consistent loading. All that competition speak is left for the bravado of the young 'ens. Happy with what I got.