Looking for a military surplus store, suggestions?

Luke E.

He does have a lot of old stuff. He has a couple parachutes (Vietnam cargo chutes) I want to go back and get some day. You have to dig around some, but he has stuff from way back.

Dave

That sounds exactly like the kind of place I would really like to go. I carried the brother in law to the gun show in Lebanon after church today (worst gun show i've ever been to) and when we left we started to go North of town to the shop someone mentioned earlier in this thread but got a call the the keys were mysteriously locked in my wife's car without her in it so we had to head home. But back to the gun show, There were only a handful of serious vendors in the building. I have never seen so many tables of junk in my life and it was so bad the told everyone to leave and closed an hour early... but not before they took our money of course. I'm going to look up who the promoter was so that I can be sure not to go back to any of their shows.

That sounds exactly like the kind of place I would really like to go. I carried the brother in law to the gun show in Lebanon after church today (worst gun show i've ever been to) and when we left we started to go North of town to the shop someone mentioned earlier in this thread but got a call the the keys were mysteriously locked in my wife's car without her in it so we had to head home. But back to the gun show, There were only a handful of serious vendors in the building. I have never seen so many tables of junk in my life and it was so bad the told everyone to leave and closed an hour early... but not before they took our money of course. I'm going to look up who the promoter was so that I can be sure not to go back to any of their shows.

RK Shows, I believe is the promoter. Rk is about the only game in this part of the state recently, except for the "Goodman" organization. And not all of the RK shows are bad. As far as the Lebanon show, I reallythink the location is a big part of it.

That and the fact that of late it's hard not to see a gun show almost every weekend within a reasonable driving distance.

I don't have the show list in front of me right now, but I seem to remember that starting In January, there are shows locally for 4-6 weeks. I may be wrong, but I swear that's what I read on the flyer.

RK Shows, I believe is the promoter. Rk is about the only game in this part of the state recently, except for the "Goodman" organization. And not all of the RK shows are bad. As far as the Lebanon show, I reallythink the location is a big part of it.

That and the fact that of late it's hard not to see a gun show almost every weekend within a reasonable driving distance.

I don't have the show list in front of me right now, but I seem to remember that starting In January, there are shows locally for 4-6 weeks. I may be wrong, but I swear that's what I read on the flyer.

I've been to the RK shows in Lebanon and they have been pretty good but this one was a different promoter if I remember correctly (99.9% sure) and will be the last of their shows I attend. I'll see if I still have the email on it real quick.

The promoter was "The Great American" and after today i'm inclined to think that they should edit the name to read "The Sort Of American" because of the very high percentage of chinese garbage. I just googled it and saw that it had received a 1 3/4 out of 5 star rating.

• Moderators

I took a look at their website but there wasn't much to it. I assume that there is more to the actual brick and mortar but have you ever been there?

Been by there 100 times. Including yesterday, but never have the time to stop in. Ill be that way tomorrow, think Ill stop in and see what they have and report back. 

I went to the Brainerd Army Store about 2 weeks before Christmas.  My impression is that they got the "surplus" right (a bunch of old military equipment that smells musty) but forgot the surplus prices.  For example, .50 cal ammo cans were $25, and BDU pants (or shirts, I can't remember which) were like $43 or something.  It just didn't seem very cheap for used stuff.  Maybe I am cheap and expect too much.  There was nothing in any section that was a steal or a deal to me.

I've been to the Brainerd Army Store several times. I always enjoy going when I'm on that side of Chattanooga. I will typically spend $10-$20 while there. They do have a lot of genuine surplus items. The downside is that they are slightly more expensive than I'd like them to be. I haven't been to that many surplus stores, but this is my favorite so far. Most of the other shops simply buy up a lot of VooDoo Tactical stuff and lots of Frost Cutlery knives. Brainered has quite a selection, and it'd be difficult to get in and out in under an hour if you genuinely take a look at everything. Be assured that their selection is much more vast than what is shown on their website.

With the hundreds of thousands of ammo cans around here, let me price some for y'all. I just threw 2 nice looking 5.56 cans in the trash the other day. I had no clue folks fought and gouged for them things.

Dave

For storage, I'm more of a 40mm "thumper" can kinda guy, so I'm always on the hunt for them at reasonable prices. I only use a few 50cal cans, mainly for range trips and brass sorting. 30cal cans are practically useless to me.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

With the hundreds of thousands of ammo cans around here, let me price some for y'all. I just threw 2 nice looking 5.56 cans in the trash the other day. I had no clue folks fought and gouged for them things.

Dave

Let me know if you have anymore to throw away.
  • Like 1