led garage/shop lighting sucks

Sam1

Well, off work and school so I thought I'd rewire the entire garage with led shop lights and put about $800 in for the best ones that were available locally...

Complete waste! Those led lights in the house work great, but the big shop lights are fractional of what the old T12 fixtures were.

Not to be deterred, I returned all of the led's and bought a bunch of high output T5's (for 20% of what the led's were) and now there's 50,000 lumens hooked up in a small 2 car garage lol.

Anyways, moral of the story is don't waste money on led shop lights.
  • Like 1
Guest Lester Weevils
I really like the color, brightness, and low wattage of my interior LED lights. Almost all in the house have been switched over from CFL's. Lots better, brighter, marginally more power efficient than the CFL's, and I'm one of those rare folk who like CFL better than incandescent.

Installed dusk-dawn motion sensing LED lights on the two front porches, back porch and shop front, and they are great as well. Bright as landing lights when they come on, and they only use a few watts, and only use the few watts when something is moving outside.

But I appreciate the bright light from flourescent tubes for shop lighting.

In the old days four foot tubes were purt energy efficient, but fer instance got 6 hanging fixtures in the shop, 7 in various parts of the basement workshop and laundry room. I only run em when needed, and leave a couple of 2 watt LED's always on to keep from stumbling on something looking for the light switches.

80 watts per fixture, 7 fixtures in the basement, 560 watts. It oughta be purt bright driving 560 watts.

Only a rich fool could afford it right now, but ferinstance those 15 or 18 watt LED PAR replacements out on the front porch-- I swear they seem brighter than 150 watt incandescent PARs of yesteryear--

OK if a feller put 560 watts of those newfangled LED PARs in the basement-- That would be 31 of those bad boys. I'm betting you would have to wear sunglasses to be able to enter the basement. :) Of course at today's prices the 31, 18 watt LED PARs would only cost something like $930 !!!

I am getting to old for the 60 watt bulbs in my house and just stepped up to the 75 watts and back when I was making fishing baits I had three 8 foot florescent double bulb fixtures in my pouring room. Now as I got even older and wanted more out door lighting I had a buddy of mine put up some great out door motion sensor lights and they light up just about my entire yard and I love them. I can pull in my driveway at night and I back up to my door and it use to be hard to see but not any more. Everything is well lit..........I don't think you can have to much lighting when you get older except when your asleep and then I want a dark house...........jmho