Anyone else here into metal detecting?

Guest TankerHC

I was, and also belong to a pretty large Forum. The Treasure Hunting Forum, have been a member for about 10 years. Dont pay much attention to it any longer. Got my first metal detector around 1984 and never found anything to talk about. Some of those guys on the TH Forum find cool stuff ALL THE TIME, most of them, like me, never found anything. 

I have found a lot of change on Orange Beach and a Rolex watch, which was barely covered up, took it to the desk to see if anyone had lost a Rolex and one of the other guests was frantically hunting for his Rolex which he though had fallen off in the surf but he had actually just left on the Beach.

I lived for 10 years about 200 yards from Clinton-Raymond Road in Mississippi. Figured there I would find a lot of stuff. The intersection of Clinton-Raymond was the final artillery position when Pembertons forces were evacuating during the Battle of Raymond during the Vicksburg Campaign.  Lot of woods right behind my house. Only thing I found were a LOT of snakes and a baby alligator. Later they started construction of a Holiday Inn nearby, when they turned up the dirt I went over there and got a hit, but it was too big, but decided to dig anyway, went home and got a regular shovel, dug up an old rotted artillery caisson. Notified the Courthouse in Raymond, believe they covered it up with dirt and now there is a parking lot over it. 

Other than that, in total I never found anything. I have been thinking about getting back into it. Since my wife's family settled Morgan Springs, and a bunch of her family still lives there, Waldens Ridge is one of the locations where Wheelers men came through during Wheelers Raid. General's Armstrong and Martins men came through there. It's not on a National park so I was thinking I might search some of my wifes families property. 

Then there is the fact that men of Grant and Rosecrans Command came back and forth through Smith's Crossroads, which is now Dayton, during Chickamauaga and Chattanooga. 

You would think there would be people detecting all over here, but I have never seen anyone doing it in 13 years. This whole area should be a prime location, as long as you stay away from any of the Cumberland Park land. 

I live on land that has had people living on it for all most 200 years.

We had a metal detector that we used for over a week, all we could find was

old horse shoes, cans and other junk. It was a cheap one.

Never did find any good stuff.

I have wanted to get a good detector and search more.

• Like 1

I really like to hunt as well,  Found a few good old stuff but by far a couple of my coolest finds are a 1722 piece of 8 and a 1816 Fernando the VII Spanish Reale. Also found allot of Civil War bullets. another Edit:  I also found an Opal ring that my wife could not get it out of hands fast enough, 10 years later she still loves it.

Edited by NRA

I have been doing it off and on for 10+ years. I have had several different detectors and still have not found anything cool. Mainly pennies and nickels, I did find a wedding ring once but it was my friends wifes ring that they had asked me to find. I looked all over my property and several others after one of the neighbor kids found a civil war rifle while digging in the woods, I found nothing. I get the itch everyonce and a while and after a week of basically finding nothing I swear I will sell the detectors just to stop the itch.

I have been metal detecting off and on for many years now and really enjoy it. I mostly look for C/W Relics but have found tons of other interesting items. The property that I deer hunt (180 acres) near Dover is the land that many Confederate Troops crossed as they escaped Fort Donelson. Rumor has it, that the Confederates fired at large trees on the property for target practice with their cannons. I have just poked around the property a bit and found a few little items. I'll get serious about when it warms up a little.

Here in Clarksville, I found some eating utensils, buckles, buttons and bullets at Fort Defiance before it became City property. Those items now rest in the Clarksville Museum.

Dvae

• Like 1
Count me in.

Mostly civil war stuff but I'm up for anything.

My most current machine is the Fisher F-75se, AKA F75 "Black" < I've hunted for a long time and have had lots of high and low end machines. I can't say enough about this F-75se, unreal.

Last decent find is a 1851 pattern sword plate a few weeks ago.
  • Like 1

Well, I'm not going to brag but just tell the facts.

I was into metal detecting for over ten years until my knees got so bad. I ended up graduating to a Minelab Explorer II and Grey Ghost ear phones. Every leisure moment was spent in old parks (well over 100 years old) and the Jefferson Barracks area(s).

Like anything else, when you have a desire to be the best you can be, spend time researching areas, talk to other detectorists and spend the amount of time doing it as I did, you eventually become very good at it, especially after you dig your first seated or Barber coin. I also joined the Midwest Coin Shooters in Jennings, MO. and had a blast hunting different old parks every month and our club hunts, etc.

I came up the ranks of equipment also with a cheap Whites Md, then a Garrett MD, then a ... Eventually getting the Minelab Explorer, IMHO the best detector for serious detecting. 

So, most people believe all these parks are all hunted out? Well, I beg to differ, and if you get really good at it, it will more than pay for your detector and equipment. If you're really interested in some tips and some things I learned in a decade that turned pop tops, bottle caps and common plugs they call coins, into Indian Head pennies, Barber dimes, seated Liberty dimes, quarters, gold / silver rings, etc. Let me know.

Long story short. When I decided to retire in 2008 I sold "most" of the coins I found MDing on eBay. They sold for well over $25,000.00 and I wish I could remember even my screen name so you could check it out yourself. I still have a nice collection of rings, civil war era stuff and other very interesting finds. My gold / silver ring collection has been diminished since I started giving my daughter rings for birthday / Christmas stocking stuffers. Man it's a fun hobby when you eventually get good at it. Bad knees!

When you start realizing the effect of a coil going over trash and a coin at the same time, the ground freezing / thawing cycles affecting coins, halo effects, coil sizes and penetration, etc. You get promoted to second grade :rofl:  I could write a dissertation on the subject.

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 2

I wanted to get into it, just couldn't get motivated to knock on doors and ask permission. No one I actually know owns land worth checking. I bought a Fisher F2 to check fields for CW relics.. I might get around to it one day...

Any land people lived on is worth checking!

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TankerHC

Well after glowdot made this post I got to thinking about it, even though I rarely found anything, Metal Detecting did get me outside in the woods more and then thinking further, I am in an area with a LOT of Metal Detecting possibilities. Well my birthday is coming up and I usually get a gun or two, decided this time I would get another Metal Detector and all the needed accessories instead. I didnt want (Anyone) to spend a fortune on a detector so I read all of the reviews I could find on Kellyco and came to the conclusion that the best I could get for what I was going to spend, which is entry level and under 300 was the Teknetiks Delta 4000. 

The longtime more experienced Treasure Hunters give it overall great ratings for a couple of reasons. One is that it has features only found on more high end detectors at the entry level price and two, the biggest for me, it only weighs 2.2 pounds. Based on their recommendations I will be getting a couple extra poles off Amazon and looking around for other coil options, if any are available. For right now I believe it will do what I need it to.

Photo's of my found antique rifles, revolvers and gold doubloons coming soon.  :x:

Guest TankerHC

Well, I'm not going to brag but just tell the facts.

I was into metal detecting for over ten years until my knees got so bad. I ended up graduating to a Minelab Explorer II and Grey Ghost ear phones. Every leisure moment was spent in old parks (well over 100 years old) and the Jefferson Barracks area(s).

Like anything else, when you have a desire to be the best you can be, spend time researching areas, talk to other detectorists and spend the amount of time doing it as I did, you eventually become very good at it, especially after you dig your first seated or Barber coin. I also joined the Midwest Coin Shooters in Jennings, MO. and had a blast hunting different old parks every month and our club hunts, etc.

I came up the ranks of equipment also with a cheap Whites Md, then a Garrett MD, then a ... Eventually getting the Minelab Explorer, IMHO the best detector for serious detecting. 

(1) So, most people believe all these parks are all hunted out? Well, I beg to differ, and if you get really good at it, it will more than pay for your detector and equipment. If you're really interested in some tips and some things I learned in a decade that turned pop tops, bottle caps and common plugs they call coins, into Indian Head pennies, Barber dimes, seated Liberty dimes, quarters, gold / silver rings, etc. (2) Let me know.

Long story short. When I decided to retire in 2008 I sold "most" of the coins I found MDing on eBay. They sold for well over $25,000.00 and I wish I could remember even my screen name so you could check it out yourself. I still have a nice collection of rings, civil war era stuff and other very interesting finds. My gold / silver ring collection has been diminished since I started giving my daughter rings for birthday / Christmas stocking stuffers. Man it's a fun hobby when you eventually get good at it. Bad knees!

When you start realizing the effect of a coil going over trash and a coin at the same time, the ground freezing / thawing cycles affecting coins, halo effects, coil sizes and penetration, etc. You get promoted to second grade :rofl: (3)  I could write a dissertation on the subject.

1. That was one of the things that settled it for me, I went reading the "Amazing find stories" on Kellyco and most of the amazing finds were from places that were hunted out.

2. Justa, letting you know!

3. Please do.  (Right here â‡“)

Edited by TankerHC

I got interested in it and picked up an enexpensive Garrett Ace 250 and a pin pointer several years ago.  I've found nothing but trash. Old cans, scrap metal ect. Not even one coin.  I know the possibilities of great historical things are out there and research of areas has to be done. I simply have no idea of where to go legally.