Bad Info?

Initially, which has been a very long time ago in Tennessee, they recorded the firearm you used to qualify. I cannot remember if you were required to carry that gun or not but now they do not record the firearm used so they have no way of knowing what gun you qualified with. I have heard of some instructors keeping targets as "proof" of you ability but it is not a requirement either. My wife was able to bring her target home.

There are minimum training standards and it seems as though a lot of instructors are going well beyond the minimum. Mine was extremely bare bones while I have talked to others who had all kinds of "tactical" scenarios as well as stuff they just plain didn't need. It was almost like the instructors picked something they were really good at and had the class do the same so the instructor could show off.

I brought my target home also that I qualified on.............. :up:

• 2 weeks later...

I took my HCP class only about a year ago and I remember taking my target home with me. My wife did too. I was amazed at how much better she got in only a few times at the range. When I was qualifying the first two distances the instructor told me that I had already passed but he said that I had to shoot the last ten rounds on the farthest distance. I then put one on the paper and the other 9 were shot off hand just to see what that felt like. 

Ok, I have read all these again refreshing myself plus can't sleep but I am also curious about another issue that has been touched on ever so lightly and I want to ask a question about Firearm Calibers. I know most people are either 9MM or 45 caliber folks just by reading posts. Now I on the other hand prefer the 380 and have several of them. 7 to be exact and when talking about where you will most likely want to put your first few rounds in a self defense situation. A lot of folks I have spoke with ask me why I carry such a  small caliber and why I don't have a 9MM or larger. I feel that a 380 Caliber pistol will be more than enough power to knock even a larger man down with 2-3 95gr 380 Ball rounds center mass of his chest which would be my first choice to begin putting rounds. Now with that being said I have spoke with a lot of people that shoot 9mm, 40 's and larger and my question to them is do you ever think that at close range which stats show in most confrontations are 5 yards or less that a larger caliber weapon has a much better chance of passing through your target and possibly striking someone standing behind tour impending target? Is there a time when you can have to much fire power in some instances. I do own a 40 but never carry it. Don't see the need What I do plan on buying and it is on top of my list and that is a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus merely because I want a weapon with more rounds with out having to reload and no need to carry extra magazines as I do now for my Bersa's.............Just wanting to learn more is all.

Ok, I have read all these again refreshing myself plus can't sleep but I am also curious about another issue that has been touched on ever so lightly and I want to ask a question about Firearm Calibers. I know most people are either 9MM or 45 caliber folks just by reading posts. Now I on the other hand prefer the 380 and have several of them. 7 to be exact and when talking about where you will most likely want to put your first few rounds in a self defense situation. A lot of folks I have spoke with ask me why I carry such a  small caliber and why I don't have a 9MM or larger. I feel that a 380 Caliber pistol will be more than enough power to knock even a larger man down with 2-3 95gr 380 Ball rounds center mass of his chest which would be my first choice to begin putting rounds. Now with that being said I have spoke with a lot of people that shoot 9mm, 40 's and larger and my question to them is do you ever think that at close range which stats show in most confrontations are 5 yards or less that a larger caliber weapon has a much better chance of passing through your target and possibly striking someone standing behind tour impending target? Is there a time when you can have to much fire power in some instances. I do own a 40 but never carry it. Don't see the need What I do plan on buying and it is on top of my list and that is a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus merely because I want a weapon with more rounds with out having to reload and no need to carry extra magazines as I do now for my Bersa's.............Just wanting to learn more is all.

I don't lose sleep on that.  The amount of velocity lost on a pistol round passing through a body is significant.  If a round was to successfully pass through a BG it ain't going far after that.  Not to mention, the likelihood of that scenario is slim.  You're far more likely to miss and hit someone.  Also, I have hollowpoints it mine.  When they expand that is going to create a hell of a lot of drag.  That ain't coming out the other side and traveling with any significant amount of velocity or original trajectory.

Personally, rather than spend time and money at the range that same time and money should be spent on laws, shoot/no shoot scenarios and what you can do to prevent being involved in a shooting like situational awareness.

No amount of range training will guarantee you hit your target 100% of the time. Look at LE, the vast majority of shootings result in a hail of bullets with very few actually hitting what they are aiming at. So the thought of an average person doing any better is insane. So rather than take the time to shoot at a stationary target while the shooter is station take that time and spend it going over the various situations. When people get in trouble it is not because they shot and missed the target but because they shot when they were not supposed to so training should be focused on .

And all the training related to what is a good, legal shoot can be done online and be done for not a lot of money. Matter of fact make it free but do require it before a HCP is issued. Have the person digitally sign stating they have watched the required videos.

What I would like to see is the implementation of rifle carry into the HCP program. There have been places I have been where I would have liked to have a long gun but I cannot.

The actual qualification test is a joke and does nothing to actually teach or improve your shooting ability.

Well, I pretty much know what are good and what are bad decisions when it comes to terms of engagement in a self defense scenario. I also have given a lot of thought as to what is a safe distance before the threat is no longer there and is retreating or on the ground moving or not moving. Moving means could still be a threat so you keep your vigilance until the threat is completely neutralized. Many of these decisions are made in seconds or milliseconds and practicing for that and covering all of most scenarios is almost impossible so you try to put what would be the most likely and that is what you base your thought and practice towards. I don't go anywhere near as many places as I did say 5 years ago so if I do become involved in a situation  pretty much know where it could and would happen. heck I seldom get out of city limits of Gallatin more than once a month and sometimes never. Kroger store, Walmart Store, TSC store, Walgreens and sometimes the park/boat launch ramp at the lake near my house to let my Kasey get some exercise. At the Park I remain very vigilant if their are other people there which from now till next Spring won't be many.