Dog injury

EMTRN

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She is 2 1/2 y/o. We got her from a rescue when she was 8 weeks old. We are thinking about talking to vet schools about the surgery. Yes, pet insurance sounds good right now!

My brother and his then girlfriend/now wife took their dog to Auburn for hip surgery about 8 years ago.You might check into that.

Guest eyebedam

I wish the best for your dog. Honestly I dont know if I could spend that much on a pet. I know you have a tough decesion ahead of you & I hope you can find help at a reasonable price.

Guest Medic908

The UT Vet School in Knoxville may be an option. A quick google search for contact info might put you in the right direction. I know some folks' whose pets have received some high quality pet care at reasonable rates.

Emtrn,

A friend saw your post and asked me to tell you:

"contact Williamson Co. Animal

Hospital. Dr. Vaden he fixed my labs torn ACL for $650 when everyone else wanted $1600 to $2500."

Hope this helps.

Mike

He is over here by Memphis, if he were to drive to east Tennessee he would spend about the same in gas, you know with all those price gougers over there!:D:D:p:D

Wow, that is expensive, hopefully some of these real options can help you out. My best friend growing up had a great pyrenees. We would ride our bikes all over the place and that dog would run with us all day long in the summer. This one time, my friend was going full speed one way, the Boomer (dog's name) was going the other, they didn't see each other and "BOOM", they both went rolling, that was funny! Great dogs though, very friendly and loving. Good luck.

I really appreciate all the responses to this thread. I am reading that many times the vets will rush you into surgery, when plain old time can heal the injury. The vets make a lot of money off of ortho surgeries. Putting her down is not an option for me. I could do it if she had cancer or some other disease that was incurable, but I think we can make it through this ligament problem. Belle is the white dog in my avatar, she is about twice that size now. We got her from a shelter. Pyrenees make awesome pets and guard-dogs.

Once again, thanks, and keep the responses coming.

gotta tell you that if the cheaper vet does not work out I would really consider the tripod option. I had to do this to both a cat and a dog, and both were up and running in no time. Cats and dogs do really will on three legs.

Guest canynracer

I say wrap it up tight and give it some time. its not life threatening, just wrap it so she cant bend it too much, or ask a vet how much a "sling" of some sort will cost. She can be a temporary tripod.

Hope you get it all worked out man.