Obama's thoughts on "assault weapons", (from Field and Stream interview)

This is from the interview they did with Obama, they interviewed both him and Mr. McCain. I guess he dosent know about all the people who teach their kids to shoot with and AR or the guys that praire dog hunt with them. You know its funny, my AK has never killed anyone???? If he wins we are in trouble.

-Jason G

LICATA: You mentioned common-sense gun legislation. Would you consider the assault weapons ban and registration of guns to fall into that category of common-sense gun control?

SENATOR OBAMA: I think those are two separate issues. I think that when it comes to the assault weapons ban, the answer is yes. I think AK-47s generally are not used for hunting. AK-47s or vest-piercing bullets are generally used to hurt people. And I think that it's legitimate for us to say military-style weapons that aren't traditionally used for purposes other than killing people, we've got to be careful about. But I'll be honest with you. I'm more interested in enforcing the laws that we do have-for example, tracing guns that are used in crimes back to people who have been using them. I don't anticipate that there's going to be a whole slew of efforts at the federal level when it comes to gun control. But I think that strong background checks; making sure that we're dealing with the gun-show loophole, which I think has been a problem; allowing us to trace guns that are used in crimes back to where they were purchased--those are the kinds of initiatives that I think pose no threat whatsoever to law-abiding gun owners.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY
Can .223 pierce armor? I'm not sure it can, but I wouldn't know. I really hate Obama-Lama.

Depends on how you define "armor". Much in the same way that, rather than have upfront discussions about what makes certain weapons bannable, folks just slap an evil-sounding moniker like "assault weapon" on anything they don't like. It's all a matter of creative obfuscation in concert with willful ignorance.

When it comes to successful propaganda, information is the enemy, because information is impartial. So instead, you massage the information, using what you like, ignoring the rest, and crafting a finely honed message that sounds oh so sensible.

Depends on how you define "armor". Much in the same way that, rather than have upfront discussions about what makes certain weapons bannable, folks just slap an evil-sounding moniker like "assault weapon" on anything they don't like. It's all a matter of creative obfuscation in concert with willful ignorance.

When it comes to successful propaganda, information is the enemy, because information is impartial. So instead, you massage the information, using what you like, ignoring the rest, and crafting a finely honed message that sounds oh so sensible.

Reminds me of an interview that Sarah Brady gave a while back and the interviewer asked her if she knew what a few of the items on her proposed ban list were, she had no idea what any of them were.

Speaking of armor I killed an armadillo (aka turbo oppossum) with a 223 so yeah it will pierce armor.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Surprisingly this is from NBC :tough:

Perfect example. Avoid any questioning on the technical aspects, and try to keep focus on the emotional arguments.

"What's a barrel shroud?"

"What's more important here is that we're targeting guns that gangs use..."

Sadly, lots of Americans will buy into the rhetoric without caring about the actual information. And once you go far enough down that path, no amount of logical argument can coax you away; you're too tied to your opinion.

A wise man once said that opinions based on prejudice were the ones defended most vehemently. One look at the kind of alarmist drivel the Brady Bunch puts out in their press releases ought to be good confirmation of that principle.

I just had to look it up. What is this elusive "barrel shroud"? Judging from this definition, they need to be banned. :lol:

A barrel shroud is a ventilated covering attached to the barrel of a firearm, that partially or completely encircles the barrel, that allows the bearer to hold the firearm for stability. Slides, extensions of the stock that do not fully encircle the barrel, and the receiver (or frame) of a firearm itself are generally not considered barrel shrouds. Barrel shrouds are commonly featured on heavy machine gun barrels, along with a carrying handle, as to better allow the firer to swap barrels.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP>

Barrel shrouds have no effect on the ballistic performance of the firearm on to which they are installed other than offering an additional grip to help control recoil while firing<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP>. Barrel shrouds are included in the Federal Assault Weapons Ban definition of assault weapons because firearms fitted with them are perceived to be designed for warfare rather than sporting or individual defense.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP>

<!-- NewPP limit reportPreprocessor node count: 301/1000000Post-expand include size: 5281/2048000 bytesTemplate argument size: 1835/2048000 bytesExpensive parser function count: 4/500--><!-- Saved in parser cache with key enwiki:pcache:idhash:10778190-0!1!0!default!!en!2 and timestamp 20080915190328 -->Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_shroud"

Speaking of armor I killed an armadillo (aka turbo oppossum) with a 223 so yeah it will pierce armor.

Just because it killed an armadillo doesn't mean it will pass through armor. It depends on the load and bullet.

any steel core rifle round of a caliber higher than 22 is capable of armor penetration, depending on the distance of the target and energy of the round.

Once again, Obama is LYING. He's telling you what you want to hear so that he can get elected.

His idea of politics are way too close to dictatorial politics. Since I'm not much for that, and he's lying anyway, there's no way to know WHAT he will do when he gets into office..I think I'll go with the McCain/Palin ticket.

Guest ordonnanzgewehr

SPINDOCTORS is all they are. They live by the knowlege that if you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. Brainwashing 101.

Obama

Biden

Schumer

Just to name a few of the washers.

Guest Dragonman

Don't much think Obama realizes that the South Side of Chicago isn't the rest of America. Vast majority of Americans "Assault Rifles" aren't referred to as "choppers" by their owners and used against cops or other people. Once again the left has people believing that the only people that would own or buy those types of weapons are intent on breaking the law when they use them. Slippery slope that the politicians intentionally grease to their own benefit.

Can .223 pierce armor? I'm not sure it can, but I wouldn't know. I really hate Obama-Lama.

It depends on what kind or armor you are talking about. In the original post, Obama is clearly referring to concealable body armor (like police officers use) as he refers to "vest."

Most police wear Level IIA, II, or IIIA body armor. They are not designed to stop rifle rounds. A .223 round will easily penetrate these vests, as will other rifle calibers. Of course, makes no difference from what rifle it was fired (AR-15 or a bolt-action hunting rifle), the .223 would penetrate the vest. The only way to stop rifle rounds is to wear some sort of Level IV body armor. However, Level IV stuff is very heavy, uncomfortable, and not concealable.